Forster Snow conditions

rkrahn80

Reaction score
planning on coming up to Forster next week. Has anyone been on the lakes yet? Can you get up on the glacier?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
planning on coming up to Forster next week. Has anyone been on the lakes yet? Can you get up on the glacier?

hope you are talking thunderwater because you cannot ride on the Catamount or Northstar glaciers......

lozinch

Reaction score
was in forster on saturday , still lots of rocks unable to climb to any of the lakes . creeks aren't covered fully yet either. couldn't get out of the meadow.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got about a foot of heavy snow yesterday in the backcountry, temps were -3 at 6000' and plus 3 in town today

another system moving in for Sunday

rkrahn80

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Whats the deal with the glaciers? We rode their for the first time last year and rode the lakes and followed some locals up onto the glacier. Are the glaciers off limits? Is their some you can ride on?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Catamount and North Star glaciers are ski terrrain only.
You can ride up to the first bench on the trail up to the Catamount after that its closed.

Thunderwater and Whirlpool lakes are open to ride.

There is signs at the gas drop which show the closed areas.
thanksgiving028.jpg
[/IMG]
thanksgiving029.jpg
[/IMG]

mcridge

Reaction score
Yep.....definetly don't go on the glaciers. After all, these are heli ski leases which means that they are set aside for exclusive use by the heli ski industry. By your snowmobile use on the glaciers, it can anger high paying heli skiers when they notice that they paid so much to get to that beautiful spot, and you just poked up there on your sled.
Just a little something to think about.
But you know what, unfortunately the more we go on the glaciers, the more everybody else see's us sledders as being evil. Then the more area's get shut down.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the bc forest service had a survey about opening up the terrain last summer to sledding. any one have any news on the recommendations?

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here is the email floating around last summer concerning the issue and future of the area.

Motorized closure of Catamount Glacier
by-'BC Parks"
Hi Climbers and skiers, A number of you may be familiar with the Catamount and North Star Glaciers (the Olive Hut is located by Catamount Glacier) and the Ministry of Tourism, Culture and the Arts is reviewing the Section 105 closure to motorized vehicles (i.e. snowmobiles) for the Catamount and Northstar glaciers. The closure has been ineffective and the Ministry’s position is that it does not have the money or staffing to enforce the closure.

Importantly though, is that they are currently consulting stakeholders and would be interested in hearing comments from the climbing/skiing community. Please do so and also please circulate this email to others who may be interested.

Please seek additional information and/or direct your comments to Aina Cernenoks:
Aina.Cernenoks@gov.bc.ca
(250) 342-4222

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is part of the process to gain access to an area, once an application for access gets filed there has to be a public notice and review issued by the gov. recreation staff.

there is a ton of debating between locals on this one, I think it's going to get ugly:eek:

man it's been puuuuking all day here! over 10cm in town, 20ish at pano...... forester?????? who knows but it will be deep.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So does that mean you can ride on the glacier?

you have got to be kidding me.

Re: Forster Snow conditions
Originally Posted by rkrahn80 View Post

Please stay off the F#%KIN glaciers ....I did say please!!!

what part of this are you not understanding.

Please stay off the F#%KIN glaciers ....I did say please!!! This is a reply from a local. He would know, I know this individual well and if he say's stay off the Glacier that means STFO the glacier. We don't need any more areas closed due to some people ignorance

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So does that mean you can ride on the glacier?

STAY OFF THE FRIGGIN GLACIERS PLEASE, THIS IS THE MESSAGE AND IT IS CURRENT TO DATE!

There is the message clear enough now? lol IF YOUR AN AZZHAT AND DECIDE YOU WANT TO RIDE GLACIERS AND THE LEASE HOLDERS GET PISSED THEY WILL BAN THE ENTIRE RIDING AREA. I WOULD NOT WANT TO BE THE PERSON WHO CAUSES THIS TO HAPPEN IF YA CATCH MY DRIFT :)

snoweater

Reaction score
So then if we cant ride the glaciers,has anyone gotten to the lakes this weekend with all the fresh?thanx

mcridge

Reaction score
This is incredibly funny. No matter what, you'd better listen to these guys. They mean business! Especially when they use bad words on a thread.....well that makes it official!!!!
You know what, if you'd determined to ride on the glaciers, you should find out exactly what your rights and responsibilities before making that call. Talk to forestry. Talk to the heli ski company. Look at closure maps. Cover your ass. You'll probably find it's illegal. But you may also find that there"s nothing anyone can do about it. You may also find that it's not enforcible. I,m not sure. But make an educated decision.
But I know that i'll make my decicions based on facts and laws, and not what a couple loud mouth's tell me to do online.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i remember correctly and heard through the grape vine the cops do enforce riding on the glacier. They sit at the cabin across the valley which looks directly up to the glacier, nobody really knows about this one as it is in dense forest. From there they just take note who goes up and as they see u coem down, they just meet u at the bottom. I think the fine was 1100 and a holding of for a period (1month?)

Top Bottom