fork seal B.O.P

gofast

Reaction score
Whats the best way to look after forks I had mine rebuilt 3 weeks ago and the one side went already. Just looking for tips or a product to stop this

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What kind of bike do you ride? 1. When you tie your bike down in the box of your truck try to not tie tit down so hard, if not possible get yourself a fork support bar. They make it so your bike does not have to be tied down so hard but theirs still tension on your tie down straps. They sit between the front tire and the bottom triple clamp. Applied Racing.. the Original . . 2. Try to tie the bike down for as little time as possible, if it doesn't need to be tied down (say because your taking it somewhere but your going to be parked for an hour or so) then loosed the straps on pull up on the forks so they are fully extended. 3. If your bike has breather screws on top of the forks like my ktm does, after your bike has been tied down,sitting in the hot sun, or been rode for 2 hours or less (especially if riding on MX track) pull up on your forks and unscrew the screws to releive inner fork pressure. 4. Seal savers are great if you do alot of muddy riding,or around dust. Dirt skins is another brand, for the same thing. They go around where your seals are and keep dirt out, http://www.sealsavers.com/. They are a neopreme fabric. 5. Wash where your seals are (where bottom part of fork goes inside of upper part) are after muddy riding. 6. Make sure that your setting for REBOUND and COMPRESSION are even on both sides of your forks. I blew the fork seals outta my KTM last season after it had been tied down overnight so I now take all of the following precaustions and my forks are still working great to this day. Hope I helped, good luck

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea what polarisdragon800 said seal savers are a must for trail riding with new style up side down forks and the support bar as well both are fairly cheep and available at most bike shops.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The biggest killer of fork seals is when you let mud dry on the lower fork leg. It hardens up and the next big bump you hit the dried mud cuts right through the seal. As mentioned, seal savers will help knock off the mud before it hits your seals. I've even seen some guys mount up the full plastic fork boots that they used to use on the top leg of the old conventional forks, looks goofy but it works. Or if you are a slave to fashion you can just wipe off the fork legs with a rag every time you stop.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you bled you forks the bike should always be on a stand or you will create a vacuum effect and make it worse and they should be cold when you bleed them also Also tying them down does no damage to the fork seal it is actually good for them as it puts a constant pressure on themThe following link is from the owner of mx-tech suspension regarding fork seal care Seal care Guide.. version 1.o - Dirt Rider . Net, Dirt Bikes - Motocross - Off-Road - Supercross

True, tying your bike down tight doesn't damage the seals, but that doesn't mean it's good for your fork springs.

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure your forks are aligned properly, especially if you have upside down forks. A seal shouldn't let loose after three weeks, ThumperTalk is a good site to go to to find out how to do it.

Top Bottom