Flipping trailer axles

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I need to get my trailer raised a couple inches, it's so low I can't pull it with our Diesel without a huge drop hitch. From what I have seen on the internet some people say the leafs need to be replaced if you're going to flip the axle. Does anyone here have much experience doing this?

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The leaves don't need to be replaced. The axles need to be removed from the springs. If there is no spring perch on the top of the axle, one needs to be added. Clamp the springs on to the axle sitting on the top perch. Done. You do not want to "flip" the axle. Axles have a crown in them. If you simply flip them over you will end up with premature tire wear and your brakes will not work properly either.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snort has you covered. I did my own "flip" a few years back. Very simple to do. The hardest part was raising the trailer up and blocking it. I blocked the trailer frame away from the wheels so it was easier to crawl around under the trailer. Big mistake! The frame was bowing and sagging in the middle so keep the blocks close the the wheel area of the frame (and I have an older well build model, I'd hate to see what a "lite" would do).
Don'tDon't use the original "u" bolts. They will be stretched out and not safe to use anymore. They may also strip or break when trying to get them off so be prepared and just get new. You may need new saddles for the axles as mentioned by Snort. Some of the newer trialers are set up for "flips" and have two saddles already on the axels. If a very large trailer I would get the new saddles welded to the axle so the axles can't spin in the U clamps. Chance of it happening is slim but cover your a$$ and do the job right. I have a welder so a couple quick beads and all is good. Don't worry about cutting the old saddles off just leave them where they are and if you ever need to lower the trailer again (think resale) it can be done easily. You will need to cut and reconnect the trailer brake wiring as well.
I think that covered it.....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you are welding saddles on, use short stitches. never weld across an axle in a continuous bead, it will weaken and possibly break under load.

Top Bottom