Lifting the trailer

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am thinking pretty hard about lifting the trailer. We are cutting it pretty close every time we go camping to hitting the jacks or sewer pipe getting in and out of spots. I about flipping the axles but I am not sure how much worse it will sway . Does anyone make any adjustable setup like say air bags where a guy could just raise it as needed? Sorry I am totally ignorant on the subject and figure the people on this site would have experience as there is lots of back country camping here . Thanks

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most guys flip the axles, on fifth wheel trailers at least. What do you have for a trailer?

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes sorry I should have mentioned that. It’s a bumper pull with 2 axles, 31 feet overall.

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welp in my stupidity I went and had a look and it’s flipped from the factory so the easy way is out .

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After lifting a few trailers DIY some with just axle flips, and one torsion axle with a subframe, I can say your best bet is to bring it into Standens and have them take a look at it. Brought my most recent trailer in and they truly are pros and do it all the time. They flipped my axles, welded on new hangers, checked the alignment and repacked the bearings all for like $700 bucks. It was nice to know that it was done proper, and I wasnt going to have any weird tire wear.

Sounds like you are going to need a small subframe made. Its def not rocket science just some beam welded in but its just not worth the hassle in my opinion. Drag it to Standens and forget about it.

They told me how often they get brand new trailers in to their place that have like 100 kms on them and have bent axles. They said dealers often get pretty rammy rammy when moving them around with tractors, tons of sideways force, pushing them up curbs etc. This combined with manufacturers putting the smallest axles possible in them is a recipe for disaster. But unless you bring it in right away pretty hard to say that you didnt do it.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also if you find a welder that welds the wrong way or uses to much heat when adding to the frame you can compromise the frame

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your axles are already under your springs then just add spacers and get longer u bolts,

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ll give them a call and see what they recommend . Thanks for the help guys

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother moved his axle from top of the springs to the underneath of the springs, lifted up nicely and doesn't compromise any strength.

brianm

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks all , I’ll have to do some measuring and see what I can come up with

Top Bottom