fish cops

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talked to a buddy and the fish cops were handing out tickets for insurance and registration on the weekend at renshaw. Just a question since the club leases the parking lot and the road up to the cabin does this make the property private. With this are the cops allowed to hand out tickets at all since I can drive my toys on my property with no insurance and not get a ticket since I'm on private property. Is this the same at the different clubs since they own the land by leasing it.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The clubs have an agreement with BC Rec and Trails but I don't think it is like a lease as such. It is still Crown Land and the agreement may or probably states that registration and insurance is required.

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have been checked a couple of times this winter in the pine pass , officers have been pretty descent. But it seems that a soon as the sled is unloaded and on the ground it is fair game. Seen a few guys leaving them on the truck for a bit if they have no paperwork.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Talked to a buddy and the fish cops were handing out tickets for insurance and registration on the weekend at renshaw. Just a question since the club leases the parking lot and the road up to the cabin does this make the property private. With this are the cops allowed to hand out tickets at all since I can drive my toys on my property with no insurance and not get a ticket since I'm on private property. Is this the same at the different clubs since they own the land by leasing it.

it's no different than any snowmobile club, or ATV club trail in Alberta, it's still considered public lands and insurance/registration are mandatory, this has been around for years, not sure why people still are not in compliance.

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BC is a bit strange with this. You actually do not need insurance to ride the trail, BUT you do need insurance to unload in the parking lot... unload on the groomed trail and insurance is not a requirement.

Registration has always been mandatory.

Ride safe

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
BC is a bit strange with this. You actually do not need insurance to ride the trail, BUT you do need insurance to unload in the parking lot... unload on the groomed trail and insurance is not a requirement.

Registration has always been mandatory.

Ride safe

can you get registration in BC without insurance?

What about in the Alpine, is insurance required up there?

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another note to consider is different requirements for different provinces. You need to have what your province requires, for Alberta you need insurance to get registration.

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can you get registration in BC without insurance?

What about in the Alpine, is insurance required up there?

Sorry I thought I was pretty clear ;) Yes you can certainly register without insurance and NO insurance is not required in the alpine as stated.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry I thought I was pretty clear ;) Yes you can certainly register without insurance and NO insurance is not required in the alpine as stated.

thanks Curtis..... just wanted to clear up any grey areas :)

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the ticket they are issuing? Registration is mandatory in BC (even for out of province), but insurance isn't if you are strictly on crown land. If you are on a FSR, then liability IS required (birtbike, quad). A groomed trail or unplowed FSR doesn't count. ICBC insurance is only required for crossing hiways, public roads where travel is permitted and technically parking lots.

I thought that some basic liability used to be included with a BCSF membership, but I cannot find anything to support that. It can be had privately for $70/yr.

https://www.for.gov.bc.ca/mof/orv/QA_ORV_Act.pdf

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seriously who does not want insurance on their sled. Big truck big trailer no sled insurance sounds pretty dumb. One incident would ruin your life financially . My insurance is 350yr...whoopteedoo

Yup
Had a cousin get in a really bad sled accident.
You want coverage!

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup
Had a cousin get in a really bad sled accident.
You want coverage!

The old saying is you don't need it until you need it. I used to only run liability, but learned a person has to insure what they cant afford to replace. Its full coverage all the time now. These aren't a couple thousand $ machines anymore

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So someone has a $20,000 sled a $80,000 truck a $20,000 trailer spends $500 to $1,000 for a weekend riding, but can't afford a couple hundred on registration and insurance.
Why does this always seem like a big deal when the cops fish cops are checking.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So someone has a $20,000 sled a $80,000 truck a $20,000 trailer spends $500 to $1,000 for a weekend riding, but can't afford a couple hundred on registration and insurance.
Why does this always seem like a big deal when the cops fish cops are checking.
Maybe because not everyone has a $20,000 sled, etc, etc. Maybe some don't feel like continuously padding the pockets of insurance companies. If I feel I can self insure legally, that is absolutely my right. Now before you slam me, yes I have insurance but not collision and that is my risk. I haven't had a claim in 20 years so I willing to roll that dice. Also, full insurance on a $20k sled, ain't $350...

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The scam is every ohv needs its own policy, insure to user not the vehicle.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with having insurance. My sleds are fully insured.

That said, I do have a problem with fines being issued that are contrary to the law. Hence I was asking what the fines were for.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bcsf membership liability is there for when you are performing club duties grooming /brushing/ firewood duty/groomer maintainence etc
but if u get basic sled insurance like fire and theft with capri then liabilty is xtra $70 and it has to be registered with icbc to get private insurance from capri and
good discount from capri if u have bcsf membership and sled anti theft (skidoo dess key) or avy training

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So myself having 2 sleds and an atv, I require a policy on each unit for liability, total fornicating bovine feces since I can only use one at a time. Insurance is fine but this is a total cash grab.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quad riding liability is covered with bcwf membership if ur fishing or hunting and I spose if your going fishing with a sled you would be covered also

Top Bottom