First sled advice

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to start a brand war here but I'm looking at buying my first mountain sled and want to keep cost reasonable until I know I really like the sport and my skill level increases a little.

I'm looking at either a Polaris or Doo. I have found a 2010 Polaris dragon at a local dealer with 793 miles asking $7000. I have a lot of questions but would like to hear riders opinions (not sales pitches from salesmen). How many miles is a mountain sled actually good for? I've seen a lot of doos a a couple/few years old with 1200 to 1500 miles and still asking 10k! :eek:

How about a 2010 dragon for a beginner? Is there a different sled that would fit a newbie to the sport better without busting the bank? Was there any weak/bad issues with this model of sled? Of course we all want a decent machine that won't leave us stranded on the hill and I want to make sure I'm not buying a bad situation right off the bat. What do I need to look for or at before buying? What questions should I ask the dealer? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you ever priced out a new Summit Sport down there Zeebers? They are $10G here but thinking they might be around $9g there? Point being buying a used 4 year old sled for 7 when a new one may cost you a couple grand more. Only a part load of beans to a big operator like you?

Brentk

Reaction score
What ever you do, do not buy a piss yellow machine. Get a Yamaha Apex. Most reliable sled ever built...and heaviest.
Ha ha just kidding, if you want a sled that has no issues and won't leave you stuck on the hill then definitely get a Polaris. Good luck and have fun!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Isn't the 2010 Dragon the one with a really bad motor?

The 2010 Summits were bullet proof as were the 2006HO Summits.

Polaris's 600's are great motors and I see guys having a lot of fun on them. They don't seem to pull like a 600 but more like something bigger.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Polaris's 600's are great motors and I see guys having a lot of fun on them. They don't seem to pull like a 600 but more like something bigger.

I don't know anything about this year and model of sled but I was wondering if there was something wrong. $7000 for a 2010 with 800 miles either seems cheap or the doos with 12 to 1500 miles for 10k seem high.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yea nothin wrong with Poo 6! They do pull good for their displacement... Always surprises the guys on 800s. At least until a decent hill shows up lol

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea nothin wrong with Poo 6! They do pull good for their displacement... Always surprises the guys on 800s. At least until a decent hill shows up lol

Wooo HOOOO how exciting!! The dragons are good if you have the "fix kit" by PMS industries in them.. deals with stuff that made them go boom! A good first sled.. If you go around a 2010 or 2011 Cat.. that is a wicked arse first sled too.. Lots of Jam, good suspension.
The doos are good too.. I just didn't Like the fact that they always freakin wanted to go Down hill.. You could lay your sidehill down like a pro.. One bump and down she goes............. That being said.. I know peeps that rail those puppies like there is no tomorrow, so it's all what you get used to. Look for something with low miles.. if from a dealer get at least a 30 day warranty after going through the shop. If you are going doo .. get those freakin clutches examined check the tunnel for kinks.. if going dragon.. get a compression test.. and if going cat.. get the diamond drive bearing replaced to the upgraded one. Then have them go through the basic service check.
Good luck my friend!!

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dragon sleds r good sleds other than the motor issue but with a $600-900 kit they rock n roll pretty good. Chassis's were good and had a light feel compared to other brands. The good part is u can get them for a good price slap in the fix kit and ur golden. If fix kit isnt in that one then id try closer to 6500. U can get '12 pros in the 8500-9500 range

xmsummit154

Reaction score
If your going to spend 7 on a used sled spend the 9 k and get the new summit ptek with warranty. If you don't like mountain sledding you will easily get your money back out with a new machine and warranty. It does kind of snow ball for sure but at least you won't end up with a dud and have to put another grand or two into a used sled. Just my thoughts as I went through this as well last year and I just bit the bullet and bought a new summit xm etec and Im very glad I went the new route.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dragon sleds r good sleds other than the motor issue but with a $600-900 kit they rock n roll pretty good. Chassis's were good and had a light feel compared to other brands. The good part is u can get them for a good price slap in the fix kit and ur golden. If fix kit isnt in that one then id try closer to 6500. U can get '12 pros in the 8500-9500 range

didnt care for the M8's of that vintage at all. Was happy to get back on my IQ.

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been riding in the mountains for a couple years only. First ride was 09 RMK 600 with 144. I am a big tall dude and I like the size and feel of the IQ chassis. So I bought 10 Dragon with 900kms and I put in the fix kit. I also put on a 5" non pivot riser on my protaper handle bars to get a better stance when I ride standing up.
Another reason I like IQ is the one hood opens up to see your entire engine or get at the muff pot at lunchtime. Another huge plus with my Poo is my dealer at Elk Island. Can't say enough good about those guys and their service.
All summed up, Fit and feel for the confidence to ride and the dealer service. All brands have failures, all brands have bad days.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if this sled has been ran for approx 800 miles without the fix kit does that mean the engine could be damaged? Also I found the fix kit thread on here and there was talk about that model running lean in the mid range. Is there a fairly inexpensive way to address that issue or is it not a big deal? From what I understand there is a temp sensor under the hood that reads a little warm from the engine heat which makes it lean itself down. They also talk about the piston skirt wearing off if the fix kit isn't ran. So if I put the fix kit in I imagine they would be able to see if any damage is done correct? I apologize for my ignorance here but I told ya I had a lot of questions.

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes it does have a terrible motor I know of 2 guys who have owned them from new and both engines went within the first 500 miles.

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if this sled has been ran for approx 800 miles without the fix kit does that mean the engine could be damaged? Also I found the fix kit thread on here and there was talk about that model running lean in the mid range. Is there a fairly inexpensive way to address that issue or is it not a big deal? From what I understand there is a temp sensor under the hood that reads a little warm from the engine heat which makes it lean itself down. They also talk about the piston skirt wearing off if the fix kit isn't ran. So if I put the fix kit in I imagine they would be able to see if any damage is done correct? I apologize for my ignorance here but I told ya I had a lot of questions.

no its possible that engine is fine and will last 3000 miles but for peace of mind the fix kit is a must. Dealer can reflash the ecm to change lean spots. The piston skirts seem to break off very suddenly so tuff to monitor. Yes when kit goes in they will spot previous damage. Odds r wit only 800 miles, the guy traded it in and got scared off. But ask for comp test forsure.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here the truth, I've seen all brands come out on a tow rope, my buddy has blown up two Polaris dragons (they broke off the crank shaft),13 pro climb I know I came out via sky hook due to exploded jack shaft, and my own summit just snapped off the steering post. They all break and they are all very expensive toys. If you plan on lots of mountain riding I would not go used(ie: that chopper ride was 2200 smackers ) for around 250$ a month you can have a new one and the peace of mind although even they can fail. That being said I LOVE my summit. If its about cash go get a sp summit and ride it hard!!

Sent from my iPhone using

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The extra 2g's is a small price to pay for the peace of mind of a new sled. I am a cat guy but a new 800 ptek for 9g's or 7 for a used 2010 dragon seems like an easy choice to me. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom