first mountain trip= big learning curve

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone who mentioned about putting your weight on the running boards is right on the money. Everyone talking about EMS and cupcakes.....hush! We're trying to get a man and his Apex married happily here. :D

I went through the same thing you did when I bought my first Apex....first thought "WTF have I done? This fugger won't do anything I ask of it!" The single biggest tip I can give you is to drive this sled with your feet - not the bars! I personally prefer the stabilizer bar in as well. Use lots of throttle, strike the track hard, and step hard on the footwell that you want the sled to turn into. Once you get it stablized in a sidehill and balanced out, there is almost no work to do: enjoy the scenery, wave to your friends since you only need one hand to hang on with, have a smoke, whatever. :)

Enjoy the sled and the mountains bud!

AprilO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get off nights on Friday morning... and my sled is in a million pieces in the garage :( As the day draws closer tho, I am more and more tempted to just head it for Revy. It would soooo suck to miss it, so I am working on finding a travel partner just to keep my options open.

We have a young guy in ICU right now who got creamed in the back by a snowmobile the drove into him at 80 miles an hour on the trail :( I hear your voice :) Being in EMS, you should know that sh*t happens whether you are falling off the couch or riding an ATV. I also deal with emergencies, trauma and end of life "issues" and the only thing it has taught me is that when your number is up, there ain't sh*t you can do about it. Sooo... Get a chest protector and some knee pads and let 'er buck!! (within reason: I have kids to come home to)...

And yes- I definitely need more cupcakes-- I spend every day making sure I get some !!

My sled is in pieces too waiting for my sled sponsor to get home (my boyfriend) to put it all back together for me lol

You should come to revy! Where do you live again?

What do you do at the hospital?

Ya I agree if it's your time it's your time. I have knee pads but my knees still get bruised and sore lol I'm using my bullet proof vest for work as my chest protector it works and is fit exactly for me which is nice. And cost a pretty penny so I might as well use it when im not being shot at too lol

2007 Summit Rev 800
2006 Suzuki Vinson 500
2004 GMC Sierra 1500

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so this is how it went. Bought a used apex 162 (tired of fixing 2 strokes). Took it to mcbride along with my son on my old 800 mountain cat. Son did great, cat ran great, arms fell off from trying to side hill apex!! Apex for sale!! End of story

you tried to sidehill an apex. Your brave!!!

tnttrev

Reaction score
lots of ideas, I might have to try it one more time before throwing in the towel for a lighter sled!!

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go for the lighter sled. It does not matter how you try to spin it, a 600 lb. sled is not going to handle like a 450 lb. sled.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to ride all weekend and not be a hurtin unit, buy a cat. I had an 05 rev that i loved then someone stole it and i wanted to try a different sled so i got an M8. Love it!!!!! It's unreal how easy it is to flick around and it has given me more confidence and made me a way better rider. And you can sidehill for days!!!!!

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was wondering when tards are going to jump in..." Buy a cat, a 600 lbs sled isn't going to handle like a 450 lbs sled." He bought an apex and wants help in learning to ride it. Didn't ask "which sled should I buy?" Its almost as ignorant as when people are talking about their plans in somebody elses thread THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC! Its common sense, if you can't stick to the topic in hand, piss off. Start your own.

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of ideas, I might have to try it one more time before throwing in the towel for a lighter sled!!
These guys who are saying light weight is better is right until u learn how to ride a heavier sled. I have very little trouble with my apex and it's about as reliable as u can get. You very seldom see a apex being towed out and most of the newer sleds are becoming the same way so it all comes up to u good luck

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was wondering when tards are going to jump in..." Buy a cat, a 600 lbs sled isn't going to handle like a 450 lbs sled." He bought an apex and wants help in learning to ride it. Didn't ask "which sled should I buy?" Its almost as ignorant as when people are talking about their plans in somebody elses thread THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TOPIC! Its common sense, if you can't stick to the topic in hand, piss off. Start your own.

Read the OP's first post, tard !! It seems he has an issue with the weight and rightly so. The Apex's are HEAVY, HEAVY pigs !! Plain and simple. Yamaha didn't stop building a mountain version and put power steering in the trail version because they're light. OP was ready to sell it. Quit trying to talk him out of it just because you're to blind to see the light.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive been saying Yamahas are crap since the early 80s.

Now, this wins the award for most retarded post in this thread. Yamaha builds very high quality sleds and they have for years. Unfortunately, their mountain sleds are just too heavy. Quality is NOT an issue, weight is.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now, this wins the award for most retarded post in this thread. Yamaha builds very high quality sleds and they have for years. Unfortunately, their mountain sleds are just too heavy. Quality is NOT an issue, weight is.
Ill give you that. Yamahas are made fore Ontario trails. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So this is how it went. bought a used apex 162 (tired of fixing 2 strokes). took it to mcbride along with my son on my old 800 mountain cat. son did great, cat ran great, arms fell off from trying to side hill apex!! apex for sale!! end of story

Hey tntrev, thanks for this post. I can't help but laugh!

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't give up on it. I rode an RX1 for 10000 km in the mountains. It handled like a pig on side hills. Riding a T-apex and yes it is a learning curve. Reliability is second to no one and fuel economy is one of the best. I am like pistonbroke I like the stabilizer in.

Thunder101

Reaction score
Im thinking of Spaghettios for a late nite snack,:) as for the Apex side hilling , well Im a flatlander that just gave the mountaian a try for the first time with a M8 and it was a blast but LOTS to learn. So I say why make it tough on yourself. My one bud had a 600rmk and it seemed to go everywere and do everything we were doing. I do own a 2000 M/C 1000 also so I do know about riding a machine that can ride you some times. In the hills I got the M to turn back up the hill a few times, there is no way I would have tried it on a sled that was driving me. m2c. good luck. For all the Yammi guys with the pom poms , take it easy if I had to ride a sled to work every day a Apex would be my first choice. :)

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your right and the post yamahas are crap since the 80's should do his homework because the yamahas use to be the king of the hill for years. A friend of mine had a 440 ss in the early 80's and it use to be the king of the hill for years and in the early 90's had the mountain phaser that was kicking ass except for the modded sleds. Back then all the other sleds were heavy with big power and yamahas were the light sleds back then. Yes yamaha is falling behind with being light but the higher demand for sleds is trail sleds and that is wear they seem to be spending their money on which is to bad because they do have a great sled but they are falling behind. You need to spend some extra money to make the sleds wake up but when u do it's a great sled but for a stock sled it just doesn't compare. I own a s/c apex and I just love it but alfter a long day of riding you are tired.

Sprint5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So this is how it went. bought a used apex 162 (tired of fixing 2 strokes). took it to mcbride along with my son on my old 800 mountain cat. son did great, cat ran great, arms fell off from trying to side hill apex!! apex for sale!! end of story
Yamaha's are only good for climbing, and trails. If your looking for a sled to side hill with Polaris or Doo are the way to go.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

??? too heavy for what? Are you riding it? If not, then who the fawk cares how heavy it is. LOL My buddy rides one like it is a 440 short track Rev, downhill turns, wheely turns, etc etc. He is a maniac and he rarely shuts the thing off, at the end of the day when us 2 stroke guys are bagged, he is still busting donuts, we practically have to drag him off the hill. I always laugh at the guys that don't ride one, or even ride at all right LHF?, who say that it can't be done. People prove the haters wrong everyday. One trip to the mountains from flatland Sask is not enough to evaluate a sled outside of your typical riding element. If everyone evaluated sleds this way, we'd all still be riding 340 Cougars. If you can't get a sled to lay over in 2-3 ft of powder, its not the sleds fault.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TIP OF THE DAY Side hilling is for guys who don't have the power to go straight over the top!!!!!! And to ride a keyboard is easy LHF bring your outdated rainbow wedgie to the hills I am sure we all would love to see it go OR NOT!!!!!

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha's are only good for climbing, and trails. If your looking for a sled to side hill with Polaris or Doo are the way to go.

Alternatively, you could shut your pie hole, as you don't know what you're talking about.

This guy's having a terrible time sidehilling....look at what he does on that Apex at the 1:36 mark....LOL

yamaha apex sidehill - YouTube

Top Bottom