Financial advice / opinions needed

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah that part about hearing nothing but coyotes that ain't going to happen you're going hear dogs barking and lots of it everybody in the neighborhood has to have two dogs and some have to have more and they can't seem to figure out how to get them to shut up.
Well, that IS possible I guess. But right now I live in town and every second person has two dogs who don't shut up and I'm pretty sure it's worse....

mudbug

Reaction score
Dave, the wife and I were in the same boat a few years ago. Buy a bigger house or buy an acreage lot of pros and cons were we willing to shell out another 500k + for piece and quite and privacy yes but the cons out weighted the pros. so with the house being paid for in 4 years we opted on a lake lot room for all the toys etc and like you I don't have too unload the quads Sunday night just to get the trailer backed in the driveway, life is now a whole lot easier and we have a place to enjoy all year round. The point is our goals changed in the last few years and we have decided that in 10 years we will spend 6 months up here and winter down south and still have the money to do it all. I have had an acreage years a go and it was a lot work.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
South of Sylvan, N of Markerville, W of Penhold....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awsome. Good on ya Dave.

sent from my I phone azz kicking HTC

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good luck on your build.
Artifical turf yard????

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My summer project, really cuttin in to the quad & crown time............good luck Dave !!!

Attachments

• 159.jpg
    159.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 225

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I Love my acreage but I tell ya I often wish I lived in a condo where i could lock the door and walk away. Upkeep is a big factor, I have 4 acres only use 1. I like my boat in the summer and sledsin the winter mowing lawns and plowing yards not so much.... Idealy I would like a smaller lake lot on Wabamun, treed for privacy and the ability to ride from home.

The privacy and riding from home are the big advantages to my place but I could have the same with a smaller property...

Now that we have the acreage I've been to my lake lot twice in the past 4 years.

Fast forward 5 months and my dream has become reality. Sold the acreage and bought a 0.8 acre place on Wabamun. We looked at a few lots but quickly figured out there was no way I could build what was being offered for anywhere near the purchase price. the 2800 sq/ft hose alone would have run me $500K and that's without the triple garage & shop with loft. More secluded than my current place but with 1/4 the land, enough to store everything but a lot less upkeep.

Good luck with your build, I kept tabs on Retodd's und buck50's builds and the results were awesome but not sure I'd have the cash or patients....

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 153694View attachment 153692View attachment 153695
Very tough decisions for sure. I am currently on 80 acres over the river with a awesome view a mile from where I grew up. Spent hrs this weekend watching three moose on the river bank enjoying the willows! I built there 10 years ago have a 30x60 three car, and have just been in a temporay mobile home till we could build our dream house. next month the house is supposedly becoming reality but the build plans have changed and what we started as a 1500-1600 house is now 1878 sq/ft and the costs are above and beyond my anticipated estimate, not including the said mentioned 20% overun I am sure everyone is accurate on. I have a three year old daughter and we are 40 minutes from town, commuting over the next 10plus years for her schooling and extra curricular activities will probably pay the morgage for a house in town for us. Plus I am really doubting I want to spend a half plus million on just as you said Dave, 4 walls and some doors and have to loose the financial freedom and curtail my daughters future ambitions. I am seriously rethinking the house build and looking at houses in town close to the school as a investment, still keeping the acreage/farm/ play area as a evening, weekend, summer get away till we can build there safely. Have you looked at just some property, put up the mancave, have the space and still stay put in town for a bit longer? I cant advise as I am confused myself, but will never give up our current yard so is not an investment for me, its a luxury only, what a luxury it is! You will no doubt like the acerage, the maintenance is part of the fun IMO

Fawker. that aint fair. He said advice and opinions. No mention of pictures.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Update:

Bought the land. Got a builder. Going with a 2300 sq ft 2 story with front attached garage and developing the basement from new as well. Also building a 2nd detached 26x26 garage for me. Should be in by the fall!

Damn it. now you got me thinking. :confused:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Update:

Bought the land. Got a builder. Going with a 2300 sq ft 2 story with front attached garage and developing the basement from new as well. Also building a 2nd detached 26x26 garage for me. Should be in by the fall!

Way to go Dave. Haven't checked this thread for a while.

You mention a garage 26x26 for yourself. I have 28' and I am wondering about the length for your toys on the truck. With a GM extended cab and 8' box and a 163" sled on I just fit into my garage as there is always something stored right in front of my truck space. Like 28' is just too close. There are many nights I come home from sledding and won't unload because I am going again in the morning so I just drive into the garage with sleds on. Maybe it is too late, but think about 26x28 or 28x28 and definitely 9x9 doors or 10x10 doors.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fast forward 5 months and my dream has become reality. Sold the acreage and bought a 0.8 acre place on Wabamun. We looked at a few lots but quickly figured out there was no way I could build what was being offered for anywhere near the purchase price. the 2800 sq/ft hose alone would have run me $500K and that's without the triple garage & shop with loft. More secluded than my current place but with 1/4 the land, enough to store everything but a lot less upkeep.

Good luck with your build, I kept tabs on Retodd's und buck50's builds and the results were awesome but not sure I'd have the cash or patients....
We are building on 1.55 acres....paved right to the property line. With a good mower. maintenance should be OK...just the expenses for the first few years for grass, driveways, fencing, trees....

Way to go Dave. Haven't checked this thread for a while.

You mention a garage 26x26 for yourself. I have 28' and I am wondering about the length for your toys on the truck. With a GM extended cab and 8' box and a 163" sled on I just fit into my garage as there is always something stored right in front of my truck space. Like 28' is just too close. There are many nights I come home from sledding and won't unload because I am going again in the morning so I just drive into the garage with sleds on. Maybe it is too late, but think about 26x28 or 28x28 and definitely 9x9 doors or 10x10 doors.
I currently have a 30x30 with 2 8hx10w doors, but when the wife parks in it I lose 1/2 my "fun space". So I am willing to downsize a bit because she will have the attached garage and with that she can also store such stuff as bikes, dog crates, gardening crap, etc....which should in the end leave me with more useable "man-space". I rarely park my truck inside...just toys.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
...........I currently have a 30x30 with 2 8hx10w doors, but when the wife parks in it I lose 1/2 my "fun space". So I am willing to downsize a bit because she will have the attached garage and with that she can also store such stuff as bikes, dog crates, gardening crap, etc....which should in the end leave me with more useable "man-space". I rarely park my truck inside...just toys.

Good to see you have thought it out. Enjoy and it is looking good!

Top Bottom