Fernie Winter 2016-2017

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any body know if the grooming is done for the season?
There website says yes they are done, but they may do one if conditions change? Well temps were pretty cold up top last week and fresh snow......Not sure what conditions have to do if that's not good enough. Was really hoping to take my daughter out while the temps are nice but the trail will turn her off ever wanting to go mountain riding. Might make a trip to Lumberton if they are still grooming their trails.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

firecatab

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looking to head down this coming weekend. what are the conditions like and can you still park with an enclosed trailer

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riding conditions are normal spring conditions with 6-8" of fresh on top of ice but can change daily. Trail conditions are horrendous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
looking to head down this coming weekend. what are the conditions like and can you still park with an enclosed trailer

You can park that enclosed in either Coal Creek or Morrissey. Talked to guy at the cabin on Saturday who parked in Morrissey. He said it was good and not muddy. Remember, that can change overnight. The trail up from Morrissey is way better than Coal Creek simply because FWA running snowcats for their CatSki operation keep part of the trail much smoother. After that it is a gong show and on either side. One would think they were going into Silent Pass with no grooming all year. I would be afraid to guess what the pipeline would be like with no grooming all year.

It is a shame that the program deteriorated so much this year and I know that logging operations interfered with some aspects but not unsurmountable scenarios. With 2 SnowCats available, there is no reason for the rough trails this year. They should have and could have been "baby butt smooth"............

Classy

Reaction score
Good to see that there was still good riding out there. Kicking myself for not going!

mattalind

Reaction score
Rode today, staged at Coal, rode around 6000' for the short time we stayed out. Trail is quite possibly the worst I've seen anywhere but it wasn't too bad at elevation. Not super deep and there is a hard crust/slab/concrete underneath but still enough snow to dip a ski and hit a windlip or two. The only problem is I chose today as a day to try and get my gf into mountain riding and I'm not sure I could have ever picked a worse ride. Holy $_it that trail is rough, although the trooper she is, she said she'll ride again next year when I plan my next trip west, just never again in these conditions.

Anyone up for a ride Thursday? I'm still in town with the sled but I won't be going with her again this week, lol.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a shame that the program deteriorated so much this year and I know that logging operations interfered with some aspects but not unsurmountable scenarios. With 2 SnowCats available, there is no reason for the rough trails this year. They should have and could have been "baby butt smooth"............

Fernie used to be on my go to spots when the storms dumped pow. Always spots to go where not many would venture but I am glad I haven't purchased a season membership this season for Fernie. The price is still one of the more affordable season memberships but the lack of grooming just doesn't encourage me to go there and especially take others there.

It's tough when you ride a lot and already invest into two sometimes three clubs. Fernie won't get my money which I am sure they don't care since I am just one guy until they review and change their grooming plan.

I would rather ride free whooped out areas that are unmanaged or just drive further and stay overnight elsewhere than throw money at a club that isn't investing back into its
Members.

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FSA membership is now $120, up from $80 last season.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FSA membership is now $120, up from $80 last season.

Yeah but don't forget the day passes are up to $25.

For what the club was able to achieve with $80 memberships the last several years I have no problem it going up a whopping $40 but when they put less than half the effort into managing the area it's hard to believe many people will be looking at memberships next season.

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about going on fri to morrissey is the parking still good for a small trailer ? Can you park by the bridge yet? I am very glad I spent the 120 for the trail pass this year. When most of the time they felt too guilty to collect from every one but the gullible . I would like to know who is in charge of this s*&t show. Can we go over his or her head and contact BCSF about misappropriated funds and make something happen that way. Come on man FSA Groom the fawking trail!!!!

summit800hm

Reaction score
We made six trips to Fernie this season, and have been sledding Fernie for a number of years. FSA sold us season passes March 5th, we planned on going back several times when we went on the 18 they weren't collecting and when asked they said they don't even sell season passes after March 1st. The trails were in such poor shape. We started going to Valemount, perfect trails, groomed Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Wednesday. We are always booking hotels and eating out,hope Fernie can see the lost revenue and push FSA into improving there grooming. Going to Valemount again this weekend!!!!!! Cheers !!

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, only went out twice and fernie was whooped out bad, I've never seen trails this bad anywhere else. Hmmmmm

Turts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too bad local business's can not be shown the value of a club. Maybe they would become a sponsor?
Or, they would see the poor state of the club and pressure them for more value from their sponsorship monies.

summit800hm

Reaction score
With the snow they had this year, had the grooming been awesome it would have brought several Hundred sledders to town this year and each spends on average $ 225.00 per Day. Don't want to be negative wish it were better.

PolarisHighlifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree the trails were in pretty bad shape.... luckily when I went it snowed 105cm over 2-3 days so we rode powder for most the time. They even shut the road down for 2 days so we ended up riding more lol poor us right...

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I agree the trails are terrible. Haven't seen it this bad in all my years as a member. Everyone else is grooming and their snow is groomable.

All the posts above should be directed to https://ferniesnowmobile.com

They don't come on here and read. They will read the comments on their webpage and it may get forwarded to the Executive.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The snow today at elevation was 30+ cm. Pretty sticky by 2:30 pm. A great day and rode untracked all day. Rained at the Rolling Hills cabin but above there it was snow.

IMG_4775.jpg

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree the trails are terrible. Haven't seen it this bad in all my years as a member. Everyone else is grooming and their snow is groomable.

All the posts above should be directed to https://ferniesnowmobile.com

They don't come on here and read. They will read the comments on their webpage and it may get forwarded to the Executive.
Except they are deleting the negative comments on Facebook so it looks like there are no issues.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom