Fernie Grooming

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The Web Master for the Fernie Snowmobile Assoc. is on holidays for two weeks so the web-site, http://www.ferniesnowmobile.com will not be updated with grooming reports. I will doo it here for your convenience.

Monday, March 12, 2012
Coal Creek to the Wrangler's Cabin
lower section soft and slushy in the afternoon
above Marten Creek it is flat and smooth. Great riding conditions
14" (35 cm) of fresh at the entrance to the Rolling Hills
set-up temp at 4300' (1300m) was only -1C (not a good thing)

next groom, Wednesday for Matheson/Marten Creek and Coal Creek on Friday (weather permitting of course)

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you doug the day was great, no perfect thanks to you on wednsday the groomed trail down was a big hit with the boys !

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The Web Master for the Fernie Snowmobile Assoc. is on holidays for two weeks so the web-site, FERNIESNOWMOBILE.COM will not be updated with grooming reports. I will doo it here for your convenience.

Monday, March 12, 2012
Coal Creek to the Wrangler's Cabin
lower section soft and slushy in the afternoon
above Marten Creek it is flat and smooth. Great riding conditions
14" (35 cm) of fresh at the entrance to the Rolling Hills
set-up temp at 4300' (1300m) was only -1C (not a good thing)

next groom, Wednesday for Matheson/Marten Creek and Coal Creek on Friday (weather permitting of course)

Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Coal Creek to Matheson and Marten Creek. The Matheson and Marten Creek entrances were done with the mogul master.
lower section of Coal Creek soft. Still snow on the road and it is holding up good.
Upper Marten Creek and upper Matheson have great snow.
6-8" (15-20 cm) of fresh at the lower level.
set-up temp -3C.

next groom Friday for Coal Creek to Wrangler's Cabin and then again on Monday (weather permitting of course).
this will not be up-dated until Tuesday, March 20th.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We need some grooming pictures or vids posted

Some of us groomer operators have not even started the groomer this year.. with no snow..

In Operator Depression / Withdrawals .......:(

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Coal Creek to Matheson and Marten Creek. The Matheson and Marten Creek entrances were done with the mogul master.
lower section of Coal Creek soft. Still snow on the road and it is holding up good.
set-up temp -3C.

next groom Friday for Coal Creek to Wrangler's Cabin and then again on Monday (weather permitting of course).

Friday, March 16 was the last groom. Coal Creek to Wrangler's Cabin.
We would have groomed on Monday but we couldn't get the SnowCat to the staging area; road was blocked due to power outage.

Friday, March 23rd will be the next groom.
Remember to buy your trail pass; they are for more than just fresh grooming! It isn't cheap running SnowCats, maintaining cabins, making trails, signage, etc.

Every little bit helps and $10/day is the best bargain anywhere in BC.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you are back Doug. Thought you might be out at Eagles Pass giving her a couple passes.;);)

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How's this? No idea who's running the machine, but he stopped me to ask how to operate the thing. Must have been a trainee or something. Looks like they put the wider tracks on as trainning wheels. THey jsut throw anyone in these things out West.

Attachments

• IMG_3240.jpg
    IMG_3240.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 268

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trail looks pretty smooth must be a quick learner
How's this? No idea who's running the machine, but he stopped me to ask how to operate the thing. Must have been a trainee or something. Looks like they put the wider tracks on as trainning wheels. THey jsut throw anyone in these things out West.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks - thats what i needed - groomer eye candy

Nice machine, wish our winter was just starting instead of ending...

Miss the 12 hours in the machine, in the dark, with the music playing.....

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Thanks - thats what i needed - groomer eye candy

Nice machine, wish our winter was just starting instead of ending...

Miss the 12 hours in the machine, in the dark, with the music playing.....

I'll get a little footage tonight and post tomorrow to quell the feeling. The snow is sure "groomable" right now; not at all like earlier in the year. It has the right amount of moisture, good temperature, and if the set-up temps hold through the night it will be sweet for awhile yet.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll get a little footage tonight and post tomorrow to quell the feeling. The snow is sure "groomable" right now; not at all like earlier in the year. It has the right amount of moisture, good temperature, and if the set-up temps hold through the night it will be sweet for awhile yet.

trail was 2 ft of powder yesterday!!!! its awesome out there!!!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Friday, March 16 was the last groom. Coal Creek to Wrangler's Cabin.
We would have groomed on Monday but we couldn't get the SnowCat to the staging area; road was blocked due to power outage.

Friday, March 23rd will be the next groom.
Remember to buy your trail pass; they are for more than just fresh grooming! It isn't cheap running SnowCats, maintaining cabins, making trails, signage, etc.

Every little bit helps and $10/day is the best bargain anywhere in BC.

set-up temp -3C.

Friday, March 23, 2012
Coal Creek to Wrangler's Cabin. Slushy in the valley bottom on the way out (very warm) so one side of the trail is better than the other as it was much cooler on the way back and much more groomable. From Matheson Creek to the Rolling Hills
is baby butt smooth. Lots of fresh. Disconnected the mogul master to get through the new trail as the snow was too deep and unpacked. So, the portion to the Wrangler's Cabin was just groomed with the blade and no packing. 14" of fresh at the cabin.
Set-up temp was -6C. Should have been great for Saturday morning and should hold for next groom on Monday, March 26th.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We need some grooming pictures or vids posted

Some of us groomer operators have not even started the groomer this year.. with no snow..

In Operator Depression / Withdrawals .......:(

Ask, and you will receive.....

The 2x2 marker is 12' high and that is packed/settled snow we are looking at. The picture is at the entrance to the Rolling Hills. I will have a short "grooming video" later today or early tomorrow.

IMG_0955.jpg IMG_0953.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
your not grooming the whole trail now doug?

Just Friday because of the deep, soft snow and a relatively small SnowCat. It will be fine for the Monday night groom.

It was just like going around the Coal Summit in earlier years with a big snow event; wouldn't pull the mogul master for the first trip as it was almost impossible to pull it up from the Morrissey FSR.

not to worry buddy.....we'll keep it smooth for everyone!

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am so Jealous - SOOOOOO much snow

The only snow left in the front yard is the pile from the driveway, other than that the grass is showing.....

Keep up the great videos we all love to see what can be done in the mountains, with lots of snow and great volunteers

Keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom