Fernie Grooming

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I am so Jealous - SOOOOOO much snow

The only snow left in the front yard is the pile from the driveway, other than that the grass is showing.....

Keep up the great videos we all love to see what can be done in the mountains, with lots of snow and great volunteers

Keep up the great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We doo spend a lot of time volunteering but our hours in the seat are paid hours as are our trail pass collectors.

Here is a picture of my back yard taken the other day. Winter is alive and well in the Kootenays at 4300'.....

IMG_0936.jpg

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We doo spend a lot of time volunteering but our hours in the seat are paid hours as are our trail pass collectors.

Here is a picture of my back yard taken the other day. Winter is alive and well in the Kootenays at 4300'.....

View attachment 126441

so doug, looks like ya blew all the snow from the front yard to the backyard, no?

man i sure would hate to shovel all that snow.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Believe me, the hours you spend in the cat are appreciated more than you ever hear of. nothing nicer than a smooth trail to keep the wear and tear down on the body and sled, makes the end of the day so much nicer when you are bagged from riding and don't have to fight 2' chop.

Thanks for the hard work, it doesn't go unappreciated.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
so doug, looks like ya blew all the snow from the front yard to the backyard, no?

man i sure would hate to shovel all that snow.

That is the north side of the house looking out the half empty wood shed towards the bar-b-que shelter. The corner of the concrete wall for the bar-b-que shelter is 4' high! The prevailing winds are from the south not that we get that much wind but there is more snow on the north side. The avalanche debris (I can practise probing in my back yard, hahaha!), from the roof is 6-7' high.

I'm not about to shovel very much; I keep the back steps sort-of clear and will make some steps to the bar-b-que. Wanna come and help??

IMG_0938.jpg

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is the north side of the house looking out the half empty wood shed towards the bar-b-que shelter. The corner of the concrete wall for the bar-b-que shelter is 4' high! The prevailing winds are from the south not that we get that much wind but there is more snow on the north side. The avalanche debris (I can practise probing in my back yard, hahaha!), from the roof is 6-7' high.

I'm not about to shovel very much; I keep the back steps sort-of clear and will make some steps to the bar-b-que. Wanna come and help??

View attachment 126516

One more good spring storm and you wont need the ladder to get on the roof.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

View attachment 126516

looks like not till july doug
icon10.gif

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
let me put it this way, i'll be cutting grass in a week or so hehe, done shoveling snow hopefully. may be down your way shortly though.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Groomed Coal Creek, Friday, April 6, 2012. Bottom slushy. Top is great with about 10-14 cm of fresh. Set-up temp was -6C. Lots of untracked in the trees and meadows. Happy Easter!

Last edited:

Topgun

Reaction score
Groomed Coal Creek, Friday, April 6, 2012. Bottom slushy. Top is great with about 10-14 cm of fresh. Set-up temp was -6C. Lots of untracked in the trees and meadows. Happy Easter!

Snow was decent up top with good snow in the trees. Pipeline was also decent with lots of untouched areas around the Notch . I believe the eight of us from Sask ran into you (Ferniesnow) Friday night on the way down , we were close to the last ones down I believe, thanks for the smooth ride down.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Snow was decent up top with good snow in the trees. Pipeline was also decent with lots of untouched areas around the Notch . I believe the eight of us from Sask ran into you (Ferniesnow) Friday night on the way down , we were close to the last ones down I believe, thanks for the smooth ride down.

Your welcome..........if you bought a trail pass!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Coal Creek to the Wrangler's cabin was groomed on Monday, April 9, 2012. Bottom soft and slushy. Started getting better above Marten Creek. Snow was better than the Friday groom. Upper trail is smooth and fast with a set-up temp of -4C. No fresh but lots of untracked in the trees. Great spring riding. The lower road is just starting to go with patches of dirt showing.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
good job doug for all your hard work, my back thanks you

Hahaha.......Thank you for the accolades.

I had the chance, once again, to ride in other areas this year and I'm not patting myself on the back, as our program has more players than myself (Wayne is tremendous behind the scene with maintenance and organization, Michael is an awesome operator and conscientious about the trail conditions, and there are others who step up when required) but the Coal Creek trail is normally in pretty good shape when Mother Nature cooperates. For $10/day or even an $80 membership, IMHO, it is the best bang for a buck as far as "back-country access" is concerned. The trails I rode were brutal but i didn't complain as I know the reality of trail grooming and the fickleness of Mother Nature with regard to keeping a trail smooth.

The "family friendly trail" through the Rolling Hills was close to a $10,000 bill when all was said and done. That money doesn't grow along with the lichen on the balsam and guys that renege on trail passes, IMHO, are short changing the sport not just free riding for a day or two.

It was a great season (well the beginning was a little different) and the snow is soooo deep we will be riding well into June this year. Thanks for all the support.

Top Bottom