Farmer talk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the crops around here are turning a dark brown after this rain? Anyone know whats causing this.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hard to believe but probably is. Just over 3 inches of rain since April and now fungus? Mother Nature 15 yards for piling on. Lol.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About 1/3 done now. Into our winter wheat and yield is quite good but quality is not great. 9% protein and kernels are bleached on our irrigation so I guess it's all going for feed. Just got another 17mm last night so I think the barley swaths have had near 80mm of rain on them by now.

handyandy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got over an inch of rain in 10 min yesterday plus a plow wind and hail. Thankfully the storm was heading south east it only wiped out 50 acres of peas and partially damaged some wheat. It doesn't sound like anyone is having an easy harvest this year

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
About 1/3 done now. Into our winter wheat and yield is quite good but quality is not great. 9% protein and kernels are bleached on our irrigation so I guess it's all going for feed. Just got another 17mm last night so I think the barley swaths have had near 80mm of rain on them by now.
Ouch!

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could be a long drawn out harvest. Feed prices are dropping hard as there is lots of sprouting.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sucks Johnny. All our wheat is still standing so hopefully it remains in good shape but it looks skinny this year. Yellow Mustard so far is running as good as it usually does but was seeded on chemfallow so moisture wasn't as critical as continuous cropping crops.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stopped. By ph yesterday since we are rained out again, seen durum, wheat and for the first time canola all have sprouts in it, agent said he bought three loads of durum as feed in the am, farmer pissed right off

this year is nuts, over five inches since harvest started, hail storms every week, and many many aces still in the area, and like Johny said, feed prices dropping daily, down 30 cents yesterday

as for yields they have been over the board but over all very good for the three inches we had over the growing season, sample looks much lighter than normal, and bleached bad, very hard to thresh, and need special combinesettings

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like tough conditions down south. Our harvest up north is mostly just peas taken off with a few guys starting wheat and some canola. Grades look like they will be alright. Not sure we will get a #1 wheat but it will be close. Canola looks to be good to excellent. Hope things change down south for you guys and you get rolling before the grade goes out the window.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We got another 40mm of rain on wednesday. Our barley swaths are gross. It's decently warm and windy today I really hope to get started again in the next couple days. Now how long until frost?

farmerboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's malt anymore photo 1 (10).JPG photo 2 (9).JPG

Top Bottom