Farmer talk

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not out to knock the other products either but when you state that one brand is "hands down" the best one out there.....you are knocking the rest. I am just stating a couple facts that you require lots of hydraulic capacity to run the paralink. With the twin fans and constant flow for the paralink opener.....you need a minimum of 50 gpm hydraulics on the tractor. Especially if you are running a larger drill (50' plus) and putting large amounts of fertilizer.

I have a friend running a 57' conservapak & 430 bu cart with a JD 9400 4WD and he is able to apply 460 lb's of product with a single fan on his JD cart and travelling at 4.5 to 4.8mph. He would NEVER be able to to that if he owned the Bourg.

I have been there, with my Bourgualt (5710/4350), but did not like it. With that much product you are stopping to much to fill and more importantly with that much product flowing through a single line you get canola seed damage; I don't care what drill it is. You can compensate by increasing seeding rate but at $500/bag that is getting expensive. One of the reasons I switched to liquid. I seed at 4.8lbs with 55lbs phos and my air speeds down at 1500-1800 instead of 4500 plus.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Bourgault 5710/4300 running 2 fans and around 320 lbs product between the 2 fans with a JD 8870 4wd. No problems with hydraulic capacity so far. My biggest beef with the Bourgault drill is clearing straw. There are 2 spots, 1 on each side of the main frame where the drill shank and the mid row bander are to close causing me grief in chemfallow especially. Anybody else run into that and what solutions have you found? Thanks.:confused:

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Bourgault 5710/4300 running 2 fans and around 320 lbs product between the 2 fans with a JD 8870 4wd. No problems with hydraulic capacity so far. My biggest beef with the Bourgault drill is clearing straw. There are 2 spots, 1 on each side of the main frame where the drill shank and the mid row bander are to close causing me grief in chemfallow especially. Anybody else run into that and what solutions have you found? Thanks.:confused:

Same problem, try pea straw. I had to disk some down this year. I will be talking with the Bourgault people at Regina this week to see if they have any tips.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same problem, try pea straw. I had to disk some down this year. I will be talking with the Bourgault people at Regina this week to see if they have any tips.

I've heard of guys moving the offending shanks to the back row and another guy mentioned something about some angle brackets you can buy from Bourgault that moves the 2 banders in front of the frame to create more clearance. I asked my dealer about it but they don't seem to know anything about that. Hopefully they can find out something or if you talk to Bourgault ask them. I'd sure appreciate it.:):beer:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The 5710 does not have "active/constant downpressure" or constant hydraulic flow to the shanks like the Parallel Link......you would NOT have the same performance if you were running that drill......not enough hydraulic flow.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Very common problem, not much helps. We have trouble with long stubble getting caught up in the disc scraper and plugging. It's a real pain in the ass. Other than heavy harrows not much helps.
Bourgault have their design flaws like anything else, they seem to do a better job in a better prepared seed bed but struggle in heavy residue. Trash management is crucial.
One of my complaints is the physical weight of the drill. They seem to draft very well but the main frame section is so heavy it drops like a stone in wet condition's. That and the Calibration/ meter/ system blows hard.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very common problem, not much helps. We have trouble with long stubble getting caught up in the disc scraper and plugging. It's a real pain in the ass. Other than heavy harrows not much helps.
Bourgault have their design flaws like anything else, they seem to do a better job in a better prepared seed bed but struggle in heavy residue. Trash management is crucial.
One of my complaints is the physical weight of the drill. They seem to draft very well but the main frame section is so heavy it drops like a stone in wet condition's. That and the Calibration/ meter/ system blows hard.

I had the scraper/straw problem this year to. My neighbour also has one and told me my disc's behind the tractor wheels had worn enough that the scraper position needs to be lifted by removing shims on the bander assy. Solved my problem.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's with the rain this year? Some areas are still flooded from spring time. Some other areas have more recently been flooded. And some other areas still have had no rain! wtf?!? We've had 2/10" of rain since early April. If it doesn't rain this week like it's suppose to there won't be much of anything. Lots of fields are still bare dirt, or maybe 1-2" of growth - especially on the higher land. :rant:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's with the rain this year? Some areas are still flooded from spring time. Some other areas have more recently been flooded. And some other areas still have had no rain! wtf?!? We've had 2/10" of rain since early April. If it doesn't rain this week like it's suppose to there won't be much of anything. Lots of fields are still bare dirt, or maybe 1-2" of growth - especially on the higher land. :rant:

You'll get some probably starting tonight according to the weatherguy.....hopefully it's not too late

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll get some probably starting tonight according to the weatherguy.....hopefully it's not too late

Hopefully! The weatherguy has been saying we were going to get rain for a while already though... Seems like lots of the rain and weather is coming from the southern directions this year instead of the north-west like usual???.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

frick, we got just about an inch sunday, and it's raining again.....wish it would move to the north

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand it either, never had to worry about moisture like we have in the past 15 years +. A little hail but never moisture.

Sure would be nice to see a happy medium again. Hoping for you mathrulz...

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
Wow, northern peace too dry, Southern AB, near perfect, Southern SK, WET, North eastern SK, dry, ALL OF MB FREAKIN WET.

Yes i would like a near normal year too! Over 5 million acres in MB will NOT be seeded this year due to excess moisture. Over 15% of the seeded acres are DEAD due to flooding, and areas seeded have 15% plus drowned out areas. MB will produce 40% of a normal crop! We are still sand bagging and moving cattle to higher ground. Peoples getting evacuated daily. Not gonna be a good year here in MB

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't like the tow between tank(we currently have a tow behind) because you can't see the end of the drill when doing corners but other than that it is pretty good. I thought it would take some time to change the depth on each shank but it took two of us 6 minutes to change the depth. Also it is lower priced than some of the others out there. My dad and I looked at a Bourgault drill today that was 100k more than the morris but it did have some fancy options. Dad has had a Morris Maxum drill for 6 or 7 years now and it has been good and the contour one would be better. They pull easy also, before we got it they were pulling this drill which is 51' with a 260 horse front wheel assist tractor to show how easing they pull, but someone bought that tractor so they put the 535 horse one in the picture in front of it. You had to look to make sure in was in the ground because it felt like it wasn't even back there. My dad is thinking about one for next year but 60'.

We have tow between with a 60' drill. When turning, the outside casters run just to the outside of the tractor tires.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was picking rock today and got rained out........ 1.8 inches in about 3 hours. gonna have some work ahead of us now. Still have corn and bean spraying to do, rocks to pick and grain to haul but looks like we might have some more to replant after this event:(
Lately it seems like if its not 90 degrees its blowing and raining:mad: I guess thats what farmers do........bitch, bitch, bitch!:d

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was picking rock today and got rained out........ 1.8 inches in about 3 hours. gonna have some work ahead of us now. Still have corn and bean spraying to do, rocks to pick and grain to haul but looks like we might have some more to replant after this event:(
Lately it seems like if its not 90 degrees its blowing and raining:mad: I guess thats what farmers do........bitch, bitch, bitch!:d

And that's what this thread is for! Bitch away!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What do you get for a bushel of rocks these days?

Top Bottom