Farmer talk

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too much heat prevents the flowers from pollinating. Not to mention that some of the pods only have 1 or 2 seeds in them!
How did the mustard turn out?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too much heat prevents the flowers from pollinating. Not to mention that some of the pods only have 1 or 2 seeds in them!
How did the mustard turn out?

To much heat....on irrigation? Now you got me worried. Haven't started on mustard yet. It doesn't seem to be turning as fast as the cereals and it was seeded first. Hmmmm.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else getting these bugs? They look like black ants with wings. They've been in every client's field so far.
uploadfromtaptalk1345506068814.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1345506102266.jpg

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone else getting these bugs? They look like black ants with wings. They've been in every client's field so far.
View attachment 134575
View attachment 134576

Tis the season. Back in the day when we used to swath with no cabs those little bastages would show up on a hot day and swarm around you. Give them room. They bite and it hurts. Flying ants.......

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gonna try some stubble wheat tomorrow. Not to encouraged after rubbing some out this afternoon. Skinny and not much in the heads although the heads are a good size. 6.1 inches of rain since April 1st wasn't enough to fill out what looked like a monster crop in late June.:(

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We combined some HRSW 3 days ago. Had a little midge damage and ergot of course. What a bad year for bugs.
Going to have to put down some copper next year to see if it helps with the ergot.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just seen a whole bunch of black smoke go up to the south of us. My guess is that the hoots had a Deere roast, and didn't invite the neighbors.

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We combined some HRSW 3 days ago. Had a little midge damage and ergot of course. What a bad year for bugs.
Going to have to put down some copper next year to see if it helps with the ergot.

Agree with the copper but also check your variety, some of the older ones are more suseptable; like superb.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ran into tough grain 400 acres into harvest. Time to play the waiting game I guess.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah there is some green. Do I wait, do I dessicate or do I swath ? I just want to go. Lol.

Still takes about a week (depending on how much green is in the crop) for the chemical to work. We dessicated all of ours, starting a week ago. Got a quarter of wheat off yesterday.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Raining today...No work going on.Must be beer time..

Lots of guys finished combining and some even got the straw baled up out by irricana...very surprsied on the early harvest,,,yields are good and all...might make some good money this year??

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Raining today...No work going on.Must be beer time..

Lots of guys finished combining and some even got the straw baled up out by irricana...very surprsied on the early harvest,,,yields are good and all...might make some good money this year??

Here's hoping. If not, I'm getting a winter job.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Men in black were combining canola yesterday while I was swathing, heard 35-40bu on dry land. Hard to say what the irrigation is going to yield but lots of reports that guys have 50bu swaths and only 25bu of canola.

Top Bottom