Farmer talk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hoppers moving in now right after the sawfly moved out. Murder hornets gotta be close now I figure?

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Although I respect the need to move at harvest, Anyone know the rules for headers on combines on secondary highways? I had to move off the road 90% today for a guy with what I believe was a 40’ straightcut on a new machine. Was thinking they are supposed to put them on a transport and tow. I got the wtf arm shake like I was in the wrong.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Although I respect the need to move at harvest, Anyone know the rules for headers on combines on secondary highways? I had to move off the road 90% today for a guy with what I believe was a 40’ straightcut on a new machine. Was thinking they are supposed to put them on a transport and tow. I got the wtf arm shake like I was in the wrong.
Cut him some slack Lol. We "RULE" the rural roads Lol

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya my use of the word rule likely not the right word… wonder what the law is? I seem to end up helping on a customers harvest crew every few years and have seen the lack of attention people pay like passing uphill on double solid, but this machine was nuts it basically covered the entire 100kmh highway wondering if the cops would ‘cut some slack’ as you say.

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know most people realize that farmers may only move 1/2 mile down the road to the next field so the hassle of dropping the header and changing it to the transport position then finding someone to tow it that half mile is a major hassle. Plus the field you are going to is probably in crop and you can't cut out a workspace unless the header is on the combine. Most times you are inconvienenced no more than a stop light in the city. Pull over, wave to the combine driver and make his day a whole less stressful. I will however say one thing in all my years running big equipment down the road (and we try and use a pilot vehicle with my wife driving) there are some grade A azzhats on the road. They will ignore the pilot vehicle trying to warn you about the large equipment and then not move on the highway or get out of the way. I've had a few Mexican standoffs with idiots until I win because I'm not dropping a half million dollar piece of equipment into the ditch to accommodate some privileged pr**k who should just stay in the city where he belongs. Does that cover this subject adequately?:rolling:

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I had to put my $100k truck and $20k equipment trailer in the ditch to accommodate a privileged pr**k today so he didn’t have to take 15 minutes to pull his header, no pilot, I guess privilege is a matter of perspective.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I had to put my $100k truck and $20k equipment trailer in the ditch to accommodate a privileged pr**k today so he didn’t have to take 15 minutes to pull his header, no pilot, I guess privilege is a matter of perspective.
Did you look for an approach?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lookup from your phone a little late lol?

30ft header should only take up half a two lane hwy, 15ft is usually in the ditch. Never had a problem knock on wood. 36ft is pushing it.

Usually the width isn't the issue it's the speed difference.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lookup from your phone a little late lol?

30ft header should only take up half a two lane hwy, 15ft is usually in the ditch. Never had a problem knock on wood. 36ft is pushing it.

Usually the width isn't the issue it's the speed difference.
How many lanes does the new honeybee 60 footer take up?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You know most people realize that farmers may only move 1/2 mile down the road to the next field so the hassle of dropping the header and changing it to the transport position then finding someone to tow it that half mile is a major hassle. Plus the field you are going to is probably in crop and you can't cut out a workspace unless the header is on the combine. Most times you are inconvienenced no more than a stop light in the city. Pull over, wave to the combine driver and make his day a whole less stressful. I will however say one thing in all my years running big equipment down the road (and we try and use a pilot vehicle with my wife driving) there are some grade A azzhats on the road. They will ignore the pilot vehicle trying to warn you about the large equipment and then not move on the highway or get out of the way. I've had a few Mexican standoffs with idiots until I win because I'm not dropping a half million dollar piece of equipment into the ditch to accommodate some privileged pr**k who should just stay in the city where he belongs. Does that cover this subject adequately?:rolling:

Here's the thing though, the farmer moving the equipment is in the wrong, and illegal. If the driver just decides to plow through the equipment, you'll be 100% at fault. Now it doesn't mean people should be assholes, or you need to spend a ton of time disassembling but it should mean when you are moving it you do so to avoid as much traffic disruption as possible and do everything you can to leave enough room for others to pass. Me personally my truck will never go in the ditch to let a farmer with a 30' wide or whatever piece of equipment pass who's in the wrong. Now if it's a matter of stopping for a minute or two at a driveway to let them pass? Sure, better have a pilot car warn people at a driveway to be able to pass or something. Especially if it's as you say only a 1/2 mile, then the farmer better have a solid plan before that thing hits the pavement, not just pull out and expect everyone to go into the ditch and let them pass. If farmers piss off enough motorists or cause accidents, they will be forced to trailer or disassemble the equipment in the future.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya my use of the word rule likely not the right word… wonder what the law is? I seem to end up helping on a customers harvest crew every few years and have seen the lack of attention people pay like passing uphill on double solid, but this machine was nuts it basically covered the entire 100kmh highway wondering if the cops would ‘cut some slack’ as you say.
Two of my cousins got decapitated by driving into a combine header on the hiway. Happened in Manitoba.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing though, the farmer moving the equipment is in the wrong, and illegal. If the driver just decides to plow through the equipment, you'll be 100% at fault. Now it doesn't mean people should be assholes, or you need to spend a ton of time disassembling but it should mean when you are moving it you do so to avoid as much traffic disruption as possible and do everything you can to leave enough room for others to pass. Me personally my truck will never go in the ditch to let a farmer with a 30' wide or whatever piece of equipment pass who's in the wrong. Now if it's a matter of stopping for a minute or two at a driveway to let them pass? Sure, better have a pilot car warn people at a driveway to be able to pass or something. Especially if it's as you say only a 1/2 mile, then the farmer better have a solid plan before that thing hits the pavement, not just pull out and expect everyone to go into the ditch and let them pass. If farmers piss off enough motorists or cause accidents, they will be forced to trailer or disassemble the equipment in the future.

It's especially scary knowing that there are people out on the road with no brakes.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So your 10" lift, 35" wheels , chip and stacks behind the cab are all for show is what you are saying?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are special variances for farm equipment width and transport.
There is also special warning light requirements.

Don't think you need a pilot truck just a chase truck.
But no crossing center line under any circumstances.

Top Bottom