Farmer talk

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So whats worse land 30 years ago 80-100 grand a quarter at 18% or now adays 500 plus a quarter at 4.5% intrest? I agree i dont see a profit to be made at a reasonable risk then it doesnt make sense to me to stick my neck out dont matter of it is rented or purchased. Its not so much the small farms that are forcing the price up its the large farms that can float that kinda money we used to farm 15000 +- acres and now were doing around 3000 and its alot nicer thats forsure
I bet you guys sleep alot better after the downsizing.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont no how the old man held it together, had a very bad health scare and we downsized, aswell as i came home from camp work. The amount of destruction from hired help was insane. Combines driver fell asleep puttin a new 690 through the trees and totalling a fd75 flex draper. 13x94 auger ripped outta a bin and kinked. Harrows first field through saskpower pole. Semi driver driving into our other semi driver lol it was just to much. 0 life just work 24/7. Better balance now

I bet you guys sleep alot better after the downsizing.

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any of you guys hear of the cleanseed cx-6 smart seeder? First hand experience or talk on the street...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am gonna say $500+ k and low interest rates. Cause there is zero chance of the interest rates getting better than they are now.

At least when the interest rates were 18% you knew it would get better at some point....

No there is lots of talk of negative interest rates. Its already reality in Europe. The world banking system is screwed and they are trying to keep it from crashing.
Raising interest rates would sink the ship.

So dont be surprised if you see some things that dont make any sense. Like negative interest rates....

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A bank person explained the price of farm land to me .
First generation came in and worked themselves to death breaking and building the farm.
Second generation is much better as everything is paid for or close to it . They have good borrowing power and interest rates lower .
The third generation has huge borrowing power and everything is driven buy farm size . Price of land just keeps going up as interest is low .
Then throw in a colony close by and prices are crazy high .
We are screwed with out you farmers but I just can’t make my calculations work for how a lot operate ?
Cost of land , input costs , machinery costs , fuel , family holidays , big shops , houses and all the other expensive hobbies most have ?
Crop yields are like the stock market from what I have seen over the years but you have to work with something between low and high yield years ? No ?
Again we are screwed without you folks and hope it all works but I could never make it work . Lol
The stress would drive me nuts .

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes very high risk and low reward.. sad to say but don’t think I would want my kids doing what I’m doing, so many easier ways to make a living, and there is so much that is out of your control, from drought to geopolitical bull****t that you can do the best you can and get nothing back in return other than exspenses.. if this was any other business, one would fold and close doors down three the bad years, that does not happen in farming..

Country’s like Russia, and Ukraine have mush lower cost of production and good quality land, much closer as well to markets, and are bringing in ten percent more land every year, we are metting global demands and stock piles are growing, with low prices for decades possible to come.. sad but true

As a fifth gen farmer you would think it should be rather enjoyable by now, but in reality one is just slowly going farther and farther in a rd not driven, colony’s have the advantages of passing dept down to other generations so they just keep buying and buying, and price is not a option, for the family farm we do not do that and pay dept till we sell out it hand down..

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are forced into over production, its a beautiful system of economic slavery for the consumer.

Sad thing is everyone I talked to at FBN is in the same boat.
Harvest throughout the states was **** too. Bankruptcy and suicide rates are rising.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A bank person explained the price of farm land to me .
First generation came in and worked themselves to death breaking and building the farm.
Second generation is much better as everything is paid for or close to it . They have good borrowing power and interest rates lower .
The third generation has huge borrowing power and everything is driven buy farm size . Price of land just keeps going up as interest is low .
Then throw in a colony close by and prices are crazy high .
We are screwed with out you farmers but I just can’t make my calculations work for how a lot operate ?
Cost of land , input costs , machinery costs , fuel , family holidays , big shops , houses and all the other expensive hobbies most have ?
Crop yields are like the stock market from what I have seen over the years but you have to work with something between low and high yield years ? No ?
Again we are screwed without you folks and hope it all works but I could never make it work . Lol
The stress would drive me nuts .
Your not sure how were doing it.
Were not sure how we are doing it lol.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
My cousin, who's families land we rent and farm works for Enbridge. He's an engineer and has finance educating as well. We penciled out land price, expenses and return one night. His exact words were "your cost to return ratio is f***D, Enbridge wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole."

We gave up some rented land 2 years a go after they wanted more, turned some down this year also. We have enough to keep the lights on so I think just wait it out a bit. I can leave the machinery in the quonset to break even and take the kids camping easier than farming another 2 or 3 thousand acres for free.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dairy barns and chicken barn seem to.do really well.

growing a zillion acres of canola?

maybe if u r a hutterite.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Farmers are forced to rely on the two most unstable, unreliable and untrustworthy forces in the universe. Weather and government.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All farming is now is a revolving line of credit money is always coming in and going long as your back at 0 at end of year thats prob winning now adays. Retirement is just your assets you sell off/ rent out at the end. I worked underground mines for 7 years and made pretty good $$$$$ but in the end im farming now and am alot happier to get up every morning its a good lifestyle but it does got really stressfull at times. Still try to work winters depending on whats out there but not to much going on. Really got to watch the coin purse and not get lost in the new iron it will burry you quick.

Last edited:

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nice project there niner. looks awesome.

glad to see some positive stuff after this year. lol

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://youtu.be/40Sur5vY3kM

heres a little video of our last project.
Have a few numbers for the project.
total cost comes in at around 5.5 million without dairy quota.
Around 4500 cubic metres of concrete
Milking equipment,stalls and robots 1.5 million.
Once in full production should produce 8000 litres of milk/day

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

heres a little video of our last project.
[/QUOTE]
Fantastic project. Great to be a part of it.
How many head of cattle does it service?

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ROI of 916 days pretty awesome project
with all those computers how many humans are still need to operate daily

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ROI of 916 days pretty awesome project
with all those computers how many humans are still need to operate daily
It’s hard to say as it’s a family run farm. So they can get help when they need it. But the robots definitely take the pressure off with precise milk times compared to a milking parlour.

Top Bottom