Farmer talk

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Around here 120 bucks a acre rent lol thats alota fuel lol

Heard a good one this year, landlord had asked if he could get a cardlock card from renter to keep using farm fuel, said he would drop rent to pay for it, so by years end he had to pay 1500$$ to the renter since his bill was more than the land rent..lol.. paid in cash

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
120$$ who in the hell would pay that, where you exactly at or is this fake rain dirt.. 35-50 dollars here and I’m almost at point of dropping some 50 since I have lost my ass last few years on it..

drought sucks, and drought multiple years with poor prices, ****ty gov support are like the 80s once again, only thing different with Trudeaus old man was he had also high interest rates to follow.. remember dad tied in to 18percent interest and guys handing land back to banks and FCC to only buy it back a month latter for 50 cents on dollar.. inputs can kill a guy quicker than any thing

Around here 120 bucks a acre rent lol thats alota fuel lol

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bc991f94b275396c74788aea0936511a.jpg

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
120$$ who in the hell would pay that, where you exactly at or is this fake rain dirt.. 35-50 dollars here and I’m almost at point of dropping some 50 since I have lost my ass last few years on it..

drought sucks, and drought multiple years with poor prices, ****ty gov support are like the 80s once again, only thing different with Trudeaus old man was he had also high interest rates to follow.. remember dad tied in to 18percent interest and guys handing land back to banks and FCC to only buy it back a month latter for 50 cents on dollar.. inputs can kill a guy quicker than any thing

Got few around here paying $120 but its mostly because they are assholes and don't want the neighbour to get it. You won't get a single new acre for much less then $80-$85. Some longterm agreements from back 20-25years I suspect are less and around 65$-$75.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There been higher numbers here,most 80-100 or 28-30 crop share. Your not gunna much to rent around here for less then 80 if any. I found some native land thats pretty rough and its still 40-50
a acre. Old man is gettin 100+ on two sections and had pretty crazy offers be turned down

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I said work a crop share, the deal Im talking about I don't do any splitting. It's a ****ed romance of numbers so the Landlord can hold onto farming status.

I hold 100% of the income after the same as renting it just comes to me in different forms other then grain sales.

Oh okay. How do you deal with crop insurance? Land owner pays all/collects all?

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a landlord that called around this spring to a few of us looking for 70$/ac, and ended up farming it himself, talking with him after he said he was a little piggish, 18 cent lentils, 7 peas, wheat and durum with a yeild of 20 simply do t cut it.. next year looks no different

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh okay. How do you deal with crop insurance? Land owner pays all/collects all?

I find crop insurance to be a joke. However The landowner is responsible for the crop insurance and if it comes to that we will sit down and discuss. Hail insurance is a different game and I would take that. Ultimately it comes down to the good relationship and the fact that I cash rented this land for 14 years prior to the daughter inheriting the land.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had a landlord that called around this spring to a few of us looking for 70$/ac, and ended up farming it himself, talking with him after he said he was a little piggish, 18 cent lentils, 7 peas, wheat and durum with a yeild of 20 simply do t cut it.. next year looks no different

I feel that a few years of drought up here as well would cool the big guns down and they would have to retract a few acres for the portfolio.

When you get 5+ years of bumper crops some guys think they can farm the world. I would think they have over extended themselves. We had land sell within a half mile of home. that sold for 1.7 for 430 acres. I dont see this helping me retire anytime soon and didnt take advantage.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel that a few years of drought up here as well would cool the big guns down and they would have to retract a few acres for the portfolio.

When you get 5+ years of bumper crops some guys think they can farm the world. I would think they have over extended themselves. We had land sell within a half mile of home. that sold for 1.7 for 430 acres. I dont see this helping me retire anytime soon and didnt take advantage.
Wow thought land would be higher over your way. Land in our area is selling for $4300/acre here in we are a dry area in a poorer soil zone.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow thought land would be higher over your way. Land in our area is selling for $4300/acre here in we are a dry area in a poorer soil zone.

I still think it's high. at 4000 an acre the return on investment with the investment earning its own keep takes to long IMO

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still think it's high. at 4000 an acre the return on investment with the investment earning its own keep takes to long IMO
I totally agree.
Alot of people don't really look at the value of land and it's ROI in an agricultural context anymore.

They justify it based on their current land base being large and able to leverage the "investment".

Two, they say it's a real estate investment and the farm just rents it from their other numbered company which has "purchased" the land with a perpetual loan.

Or three they just really don't want the neighbor to have it and will stop at nothing to make sure nobody can make a nice living.

But like mentioned above I think we have the perfect storm brewing.

5 years of unreal crops,high prices and free money followed by 5 years of **** harvests, low grain prices, high inputs and machinery costs.
And now the banks are starting to get nervous and are restricting the access to cash when guys need it worse than ever.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing to add is we are starting to see the next generation (4&5th) take over the farms, so there is a big money drain coming if the outgoing farmer wants a buyout to fund retirement or the young farmer has to buy back land from siblings because they all recieved a slice of the land base as inheritance.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So whats worse land 30 years ago 80-100 grand a quarter at 18% or now adays 500 plus a quarter at 4.5% intrest? I agree i dont see a profit to be made at a reasonable risk then it doesnt make sense to me to stick my neck out dont matter of it is rented or purchased. Its not so much the small farms that are forcing the price up its the large farms that can float that kinda money we used to farm 15000 +- acres and now were doing around 3000 and its alot nicer thats forsure

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So whats worse land 30 years ago 80-100 grand a quarter at 18% or now adays 500 plus a quarter at 4.5% intrest? I agree i dont see a profit to be made at a reasonable risk then it doesnt make sense to me to stick my neck out dont matter of it is rented or purchased. Its not so much the small farms that are forcing the price up its the large farms that can float that kinda money we used to farm 15000 +- acres and now were doing around 3000 and its alot nicer thats forsure
I am gonna say $500+ k and low interest rates. Cause there is zero chance of the interest rates getting better than they are now.

At least when the interest rates were 18% you knew it would get better at some point....

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i never went had some good deals through local nutrien this year and wanted to learn more about the fbn before handing over a bunch of coin, all i no is neighbours said the rippers were on another level down there they just got back aswell lol

Just got back from farmers business network in Omaha, what an epic piss up.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i never went had some good deals through local nutrien this year and wanted to learn more about the fbn before handing over a bunch of coin, all i no is neighbours said the rippers were on another level down there they just got back aswell lol
Yeah I think FBN isn't quite ready for Canada but the concept is definitely interesting.

Corn guys seem to be loving it.

Rippers were good.
But Montreal is still king.

Top Bottom