Fancy tape measure????????????

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Winner, winner...................chicken dinner!!

It sure had me baffled when I first picked it up!!! Apparently, they use this measurement system in the States.

I noticed the tenths right away. Because I have a two foot square with tenths on it. Confused me when I first got it.

I thought tenths was only something old farmers used to measure amount of rain they got

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Engineers tape. It's in tenths and hundredth of a foot in one side and metric on the other side. No inches on that thing. I have rulers like that for drafting.
The only drafting rollers I have left are in metric.

IMG_6036.jpeg

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s how they tally pipe in ‘Merica too, it’s a lot simpler to add up 9000’ using tenths than inches.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
by looking at the picture of tape measure, you'll never find your mark with 2 ft of tape, you'll need 3 ft at least? teachers. lol, was a great post, the teacher is good at his trade, great teaching moment!

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
by looking at the picture of tape measure, you'll never find your mark with 2 ft of tape, you'll need 3 ft at least? teachers. lol, was a great post, the teacher is good at his trade, great teaching moment!
That is a brilliant observation ! Pretty good for another old guy!!

The picture was just another aspect of the story, nothing for the 34 and a half inches.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
once you start using it, you'll find it much easier to use, no more adding or converting different fractions. makes survey life easy peasy, and twice as easy.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
once you start using it, you'll find it much easier to use, no more adding or converting different fractions. makes survey life easy peasy, and twice as easy.
I can see that and appreciate that. If I had the "surveyors tape" in my hand with the initial measurement, I wouldn't have had a problem. A number is a number. I wouldn't have been confused using two different number bases at the time that I did.

All is good and reno is going great!! Leaked a little blood, cursed a little, smiled a little, laughed a little, and have a happy customer. I have a little jingle in my pocket!!

Mcstuck87

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Metric for big work too ?

Some guys are all metric w/woodworking, and torx.

Anything out of Europe is metric. The osb mill I work at has 50% metric and I’m talking big machines. It’s way more accurate then standard.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use metric for small work like centering screw holes etc. Way easier to divide and add than 1/8's 16th's etc.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trudeau brought metric into canada around 1970, it is still all Fd-up 50 years later. Now we have standard and metric. Lets build a house with plywood in standard width and length but we will make the thickness metric. But at least the tool manufactures are happy.

Top Bottom