FALLOUT: Avalanche-Turbo March 13,2010

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you actually serious??
so what it is OK to promote this event for months, make posters, post the dates on web forums etc. but as soon as something bad happens pretend like you have nothing to do with it. WOW!! I don't think Dave should be charged with anything, and I will give him the benefit of the doubt and say because of the charges is why he is keeping his mouth shut, but to suggest that he or anyone should ignore what happened and not say anything?? you should be ashamed of yourself

Do you really want Ozone Dave to talk to the media?

I don't think charges are ever going to happen, and they wouldn't stick anyhow...

The real concern for me is all this attention:eek:

Sleds and sledding right now don't have any govt. requirements/restrictions in B.C. For how long now with all this attention?

Registration, insurance, helmets, designated trail ridding areas, groomers, trail passes, permits, etc.

If we can't police ourselves, then I guess the government will have to do it for us.

I wish the media would throw a positive spin on this situation, like how many people were rescued by the educated and prepared crowd of riders and how many of them had trained in first aid, and avalanche rescue, and how much worse it could have been without them.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is the responsability line drawn? SRS/Revelstoke etc. entice us all winter to come and sled in "their" snow. SRS even happlily charged extra on this day to cover some of the extra costs incurred. Either sledders are free to accept the risks and make their own decisions or we will have to relinquish this and have big brother do it for us.
Unfortunatley I don't think it matters what we think anymore, the decision will be made by bureaucrats in the not so distant future.
As for Ozone coming forward, what could he possibly say that would help? With the rumours of charges and litigation floating around he would be a fool to say anything. Even a simple "I'm sorry" when read back by a prosecutor in front of a jury could be made to sound like an admission of guilt. If he hasn't lawyered up yet he's crazy. Just look at how the media has taken and spun comments from S&M and you think he should give a sound bite?

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just finished watching the 6 o'clock news and I have to say I'm getting angrier by the minute.....the RCMP is now looking into pressing charges for negligence to the parents that brought their children to Turbo Bowl on that fateful Saturday. What does this DANGEROUS precedent mean for us sledding families in the future??? Our kids sled with us every chance they get, and our 13 year old sleds with us in the mountains, and has completed his AST 1 course in January. He is more knowledgeable about snowpack and avy areas than your average person at his age. So, now because of the tragic events that have occurred in Revy, we as a knowledgeable, avalanche aware sledding family will have to suffer the consequences?? I'm sorry....but does anyone else agree with me that the media has gone totally berserk with the coverage and is making the majority of us responsible sledders look like crazy lunatics ready to rip up any slope in the worst of all avalanche conditions??? :mad:

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if we are unable to police ourselves someone will do it for us... even when conditions are extreme there are still safe places to ride without exposing ourselves or others to danger from our actions. ultimately in this sport it is all about the decisions that we make, the best we can do is try to make good decisions based on the information we have, cac bulletins, snow conditions, skill level, our observations etc... etc... risk can always be mitigated it just might have to be that there are times when you say, "not that hill, not this day". We can all look back and arm chair quaterback this tragedy to death, as long as we learn from it but let's not call it an accident. This avalanche was caused by a poor decision or compounding poor decisions by one or a number of people, it was not an accident. Is there fault or blame to be had? That's for someone else to determine. Only time will tell but my bets are that someone is probably researching the criminal and civil definitions of negligence and liability about now.

motrhed

Reaction score
Has this been answered yet?...Shay has family here in Medicine Hat, lots of questions, and this has been a huge one. I havent heard anyone talk about it yet.

Thanks

The previous thread is still open for reading and it does mention how it was caused... not sure which page. I won't muddy the waters by stating what I remember reading.

Somewhere in the original thread someone had mentioned that Ozone Dave was charging $25 admission... is this fact or just an unsubstantiated rumor?

I have been checking numerous reports from the assorted media and Global TV seems to be the most objective and accurate source to date. They are not blaming the snowmobiling community like some other attention grabbing, rumor spewing reporters. The media in general needs to focus on reporting the facts and just the facts, not manufacturing shocking reports with half truths and rumor:nono:. But that seems to be the way things are these days... the truth is normally not "shocking:eek:" enough.

Sorry... I didn't mean to get all worked up... this is just my opinion... F$#@'in Media!!!

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the Gov. will put the whole thing on I.C.B.Cs plate & develope with the snowmobile assc.s & the CAC some reasonable system, seems there're forced under the circumstances, eh?

MtnDoo2

Reaction score
Folks, "The Media" has one job: selling advertising for profit

It's not criminal, but with that singular focus you do need to realize that "the story" is just a product they craft and sell for the maximum price (via advertising dollars) to the highest bidder.

Beyond that, all bets are off.
They are accountable to no one.

MD.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the Gov. will put the whole thing on I.C.B.Cs plate & develope with the snowmobile assc.s & the CAC some reasonable system, seems there're forced under the circumstances, eh?

Think cash grab along the lines of the stupid boat license we all are supposed to have now.

Dookiller

Reaction score
Fact: This was not part of the BIS, when this happened
Fact: Dave did not start this avalanche
Fact: Dave was not there when this happened.
Fact: Dave never forced any riders up the hill

Were all 800 riders that left the parking lot were Ozone's reponsability?

There were no reported incidents in the Sugar bowl, super bowl, or Bull Pen.

Lets say this slide happened back in Turtle, would this still be tied to the BIS or would that be a seperate incident?

It is each persons own resonsability to use the provided knowledge the Canadian Avalanche Agency provides. With this knowledge you make a decision, should I ride, or shouldn't I?

They call them accidents for a reason. Should I wrap styrofoam around my daughter to protect her?

This entire situation needs to be turned around and shown as a miracle. The heroes should be on the front page of every paper. Every single person that was there is a hero. Everyone has a story. Everyone came together, in from what I can find, one of the largest avalanches involving this amount of snowmobilers in Western Canada, to work together with the same goal. Bring everyone back! Lets start banging the monkey with all these stories. They need to be heard by the public.

lexy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
personally I think it will be hard for the govt. to regulate do to the fact of the new WCB laws. And if there is regulations then it should be for all back country users not one group.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just finished watching the 6 o'clock news and I have to say I'm getting angrier by the minute.....the RCMP is now looking into pressing charges for negligence to the parents that brought their children to Turbo Bowl on that fateful Saturday. What does this DANGEROUS precedent mean for us sledding families in the future??? Our kids sled with us every chance they get, and our 13 year old sleds with us in the mountains, and has completed his AST 1 course in January. He is more knowledgeable about snowpack and avy areas than your average person at his age. So, now because of the tragic events that have occurred in Revy, we as a knowledgeable, avalanche aware sledding family will have to suffer the consequences?? I'm sorry....but does anyone else agree with me that the media has gone totally berserk with the coverage and is making the majority of us responsible sledders look like crazy lunatics ready to rip up any slope in the worst of all avalanche conditions??? :mad:
If the RCMP lays charges, then they better lay charges against the parents of the kid that got killed skiing on a school ski trip in BC as well. What's the difference? If they proceed with this, the sledding community needs to band together and donate to their legal fund. If anyone knows these parents, and they are charged, tell them to let us know and I'd be surprised if many people didn't pony up to help. This is BS. There are far worse parents in our society that the RCMP should be worried about. This and the BC Solicitor General's comments are typical "knee jerk" reactionary crap, but what do you expect from politicians.

motrhed

Reaction score
Fact: This was not part of the BIS, when this happened
Fact: Dave did not start this avalanche
Fact: Dave was not there when this happened.
Fact: Dave never forced any riders up the hill

Were all 800 riders that left the parking lot were Ozone's reponsability?

There were no reported incidents in the Sugar bowl, super bowl, or Bull Pen.

Lets say this slide happened back at the monster bowl (Turtle), would this still be tied to the BIS or would that be a seperate incident?

It is each persons own resonsability to use the provided knowledge the Canadian Avalanche Agency provides. With this knowledge you make a decision, should I ride, or shouldn't I?

They call them accidents for a reason. Should I wrap styrofoam around my daughter to protect her?

This entire situation needs to be turned around and shown as a miracle. The heroes should be on the front page of every paper. Every single person that was there is a hero. Everyone has a story. Everyone came together, in from what I can find, one of the largest avalanches involving this amount of snowmobilers in Western Canada, to work together with the same goal. Bring everyone back! Lets start banging the monkey with all these stories. They need to be heard by the public.

As I recall, the BIS changed to a 2 day format this year and Turbo was not going to be run as part of the event until Sunday. BIS was only running Sugar Bowl, Super Bowl, and perhaps Bull Pen on Saturday. So how are they responsible for what happened on another hill???

Dookiller is right on the money, the human damage should have been much worse, but the knowledge, training, and organization of those on the hill that day saved many more lives! Their efforts should be praised!!

HONDA310R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why do we have to blame someone and point fingers???? If this was any other weekend it would have just been an accident. So why cant this just be a accident cause this is exactly what its is. People were at the wrong place at the wrong time thats is all!!!!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the media doesnt understand that there might have been 200 sleds in that bowl BIS or not.they think this amount of people were in there for this event. which in some ways is true but this would have been a busy weekend anyways and like mentioned its an accident. they keep saying " people are looking for someone to blame".... not me. not sure who that might be.

234blair

Reaction score
The story that has not been reported and needs to get out is that by the time Search and Rescue arrived everyone had been located and dug out. That is amazing! Normal everyday people, mostly strangers to each other, were prepared, and were able to mount an organized response to a major accident. Under the conditions, that is amazing.

Top Bottom