Factory sleds just don't work

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is not another belt thread and don't want it to be.
A friend of mine bough a 2013 cat and is blowing belts.... I said get that clutching set up right for you, gear it down as well.

He says he shouldn't have to spend money on it its brand new.... I laughed "Its a mt sled, they take work".

I wish that out of the box they worked perfect but they don't none of them do, some need more power, I think they all need clutching, some need suspension work, and most need a diet to start.

If you ride hard and you expect 100% ready to ride, you will probably be disappointed. I also think all factory sleds are coming to us in good form to start from... think back ten years and you had to sink a tone into them to make them work in the mountains. Now the cat needs weights a gear and a can for most riders. Polaris needs a few hp. The new do I admit I don't have much experience with but I'm sure they will need some work too. Most of us spend a few extra buck on after market must haves, but its a lot less then it was.

kyle019

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cheers to that! For people who think sleds are indestructible and never break down (especially brand loyal guys) are either brain dead or don't ride hard enough. Tinkering never ends!

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
I can say for certainty that they are WAAAAY closer than they ever used to be. XM out of the box clutching is pretty good. I haven't got much seat time on the '13 PRO yet but from what I can see their clutching isn't far off either. Of course, we put aftermarket cans on everything before we go out...

Remember the '95 670 Summit and the 93 700 Wildcat Mountain Cat? They were, in my mind, a 'token' effort to appease the mountain riders. Boy they have come a long way!!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol sorry to burst your bubble but other than a can the XM is ready to ride. I bash a new sled every season for 80 days and the XM is truly ready to ride.

No clutching changes to make
No burning belts
Gobs of power
Superior handling
Best fit and finish
Smooth suspension
Best traction ad flotation

Sorry but there's barely anyone modding the new XM it just doesn't need anything.

Pretty much everyone that owns a new poo or cat is either doing a track swap, running boards, par heads and pipe kits etc to try and make them mountain ready because they just flat out aren't.

Your buddy is right he shouldn't have to spend a dime on a mountain sled.

Edit. I apologize I did have to purchase scratchers.........

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell, we all know that you are the most brand loyal next to LHF and his wedge so when ever you sprack off about how good the Doo's are compared to the other brands it makes me think that you are really compensating for something. I really (and i'm guessing others as well) have started to view most of your comments as usless info like ol' oneyewilly's posts. I have to say i love my new cat and it will go anywhere that your xm will go except get the highest mark on the hill and i have no problem admitting that it won't but i don't highmark so it doesn't bother me. All the brands have the crap that fails just like trucks and cars. sorry for the rant but open your mind a little man!!

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol sorry to burst your bubble but other than a can the XM is ready to ride. I bash a new sled every season for 80 days and the XM is truly ready to ride.

No clutching changes to make
No burning belts
Gobs of power
Superior handling
Best fit and finish
Smooth suspension
Best traction ad flotation

Sorry but there's barely anyone modding the new XM it just doesn't need anything.

Pretty much everyone that owns a new poo or cat is either doing a track swap, running boards, par heads and pipe kits etc to try and make them mountain ready because they just flat out aren't.

Your buddy is right he shouldn't have to spend a dime on a mountain sled.

Edit. I apologize I did have to purchase scratchers.........

Now now Maxwell... maybe you should come out of your bubble!!! Take a look around...The Pro mountain sled has been out of the box ready to ride for the last three years, no clutching, no chit...
Is your BuRP out of the box stock??? Did you not change the track???? What else might have you done to make it "mountian ready"

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell, we all know that you are the most brand loyal next to LHF and his wedge so when ever you sprack off about how good the Doo's are compared to the other brands it makes me think that you are really compensating for something. I really (and i'm guessing others as well) have started to view most of your comments as usless info like ol' oneyewilly's posts. I have to say i love my new cat and it will go anywhere that your xm will go except get the highest mark on the hill and i have no problem admitting that it won't but i don't highmark so it doesn't bother me. All the brands have the crap that fails just like trucks and cars. sorry for the rant but open your mind a little man!!

Despite what you might think if cat or poo comes out with a better mountain sled ill be on it. It just hasn't happened yet but it may you never know. I'm not concerned what you think of my posts. If you don't consider a guy who rides 80 days a year in some very technical terrain with some of the best riders on all brands of new sleds good information then that's cool skip right on past my post no feelers Hurt here man. I'm glad your sled is workin for you. Remember I'm not saying the other sleds are junk they are just baby steps away from being the best mountain sleds.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now now Maxwell... maybe you should come out of your bubble!!! Take a look around...The Pro mountain sled has been out of the box ready to ride for the last three years, no clutching, no chit...
Is your BuRP out of the box stock??? Did you not change the track???? What else might have you done to make it "mountian ready"

I know what they are there's many of them in my riding group LOL. And as far as my personal sled I've put a wrap and a set of scratchers on it........yes we did do a 3" XM so we could give you guys input on these types of mods but its not on my machine it's on t teams. I didn't even adjust the handle bars on mine LoL

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is not another belt thread and don't want it to be.
A friend of mine bough a 2013 cat and is blowing belts.... I said get that clutching set up right for you, gear it down as well.

He says he shouldn't have to spend money on it its brand new.... I laughed "Its a mt sled, they take work".

I wish that out of the box they worked perfect but they don't none of them do, some need more power, I think they all need clutching, some need suspension work, and most need a diet to start.

If you ride hard and you expect 100% ready to ride, you will probably be disappointed. I also think all factory sleds are coming to us in good form to start from... think back ten years and you had to sink a tone into them to make them work in the mountains. Now the cat needs weights a gear and a can for most riders. Polaris needs a few hp. The new do I admit I don't have much experience with but I'm sure they will need some work too. Most of us spend a few extra buck on after market must haves, but its a lot less then it was.

Also you are deffinetly bang on about the aftermarket stuff. 5 years ago I was replacing almost every part except the frame. Now it's a can and scratchers.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also you are deffinetly bang on about the aftermarket stuff. 5 years ago I was replacing almost every part except the frame. Now it's a can and scratchers.

But didn't you just say wrap and scratchers??? Maxwell, you know what the chitty part about bullchitting is???? you have to remember your own bullchit!! lol

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
80 days a year would be a tough feat considering you work and live in AB. I'm single and work 4 days a week and ill be around the 40 mark if I'm lucky. You must have a pile of holidays.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
80 days a year would be a tough feat considering you work and live in AB. I'm single and work 4 days a week and ill be around the 40 mark if I'm lucky. You must have a pile of holidays.

Nope. Have a house in valemount and rip up every weeken from November to June and 10 days at Christmas and usually a week in February

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find the poo VS doo talk hilarious. I am in the market for a new sled and have everyone and their dog telling me which one to get and why as well as why the other option is horrible. I am not brand loyal...in fact, I am bisledual...so I am taking a pro Jan 24-27th to ride and hopefully (time off request pending) riding the xm Jan 29-30. After which I will make a decision. I'm very curious to see which sled will come out on top for me. And no I really don't give a $hit about anyone's opinion as to which one I should get.

I think all sleds out there are fairly comparable now it just depends on rider preference. As far as them not being mountain ready well, I know I will take whatever new sled I get out stock then change from there as I see fit.

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
Well I hate to stick up for Maxwell:rolleyes:, but I have to agree on most points with the XM. I would also recommend a PRO for anyone who needs a lighter sled (and for the Ski-Doo loyal who think the XM does handle as good as a lightweight, well, sortof. Yes, the XM handles awesome compared to the XP and is a big step in the right direction. Actually a huge step in the right direction. Unfortunately it still has mass, and Issac Newtons laws regarding mass still apply regardless. If you weigh less than 150lbs, you might want to carefully 'weigh' your options between an XM and a PRO) As for the kitty cats, there is a bit more work involved to get them set up IMO.

The main reason I stick with the doo's myself is the fact that you can put a real track under them. At my size, I need all the track I can get! :skidoo:

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I hate to stick up for Maxwell:rolleyes:, but I have to agree on most points with the XM. I would also recommend a PRO for anyone who needs a lighter sled (and for the Ski-Doo loyal who think the XM does handle as good as a lightweight, well, sortof. Yes, the XM handles awesome compared to the XP and is a big step in the right direction. Actually a huge step in the right direction. Unfortunately it still has mass, and Issac Newtons laws regarding mass still apply regardless. If you weigh less than 150lbs, you might want to carefully 'weigh' your options between an XM and a PRO) As for the kitty cats, there is a bit more work involved to get them set up IMO.

The main reason I stick with the doo's myself is the fact that you can put a real track under them. At my size, I need all the track I can get! :skidoo:

What's with the hate LOL. Sheesh. But your right when poo an cat jam a 16 wide track under there mountain sleds they will be on the right track

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
What's with the hate LOL. Sheesh. But your right when poo an cat jam a 16 wide track under there mountain sleds they will be on the right track

Sometimes I feel a need to disassociate myself from some of my Ski-Doo brethren in order to maintain an air of credibility :beer:

Top Bottom