Excessive track noise

LukeD

Reaction score
Does anyone else hear excessive track noise on their 2014 xm? When on the trail and letting off the throttle I hear it quite loud. Almost as if the snow flap was caught in the track, but it's not. Drove my brothers twin xm to mine and no real noise. I can't see the track rubbing anywhere. Thanks

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there hit or miss. seems sometimes mine will be loud but sometimes its smooth and quiet. check your alignment and make sure its bang on. also check to make sure one or both of your rails isnt slightly bent or tweaked. this will cause misalignment and rubbing issues

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed it too. Mine was ice. Seems if u ride multiple days without it having a chance to melt off she gets louder and louder.

LukeD

Reaction score
Alignment looks good from what I can tell. I park my machine in heated shop every night so I don't think it's ice build up. And rails are straight. Haven't really even had a chance to jump or get any air yet. I did and the rail reinforcements. Dealer said its probably just because of the big lug the track has. Could the track need to be worked in more? I got over 200 miles on it. Could it be too loose of track? It seems loose but the drivers don't ratchet at all. And I do like hitting the throttle hard! Thanks

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alignment looks good from what I can tell. I park my machine in heated shop every night so I don't think it's ice build up. And rails are straight. Haven't really even had a chance to jump or get any air yet. I did and the rail reinforcements. Dealer said its probably just because of the big lug the track has. Could the track need to be worked in more? I got over 200 miles on it. Could it be too loose of track? It seems loose but the drivers don't ratchet at all. And I do like hitting the throttle hard! Thanks

Could need to be tensioned up a bit. I need to check mine out too.

Like Maxwell said it's hit and miss and usually due to snow buildup.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Track alignment is a waist on a t motion skid.. track moves side to side with the skid, rubs the sides at the top wheels

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Last edited:

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Track alignment is a waist on a trip motion skid.. track moves side to side with the skid, rubs the sides at the top wheels

I had to adjust mine. Talked to my dealer and they said hit oand miss on the alignments on the new ones. Like Maxwell said check alignment. Sorry Tex I'm agreein to disagree this time.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had to adjust mine. Talked to my dealer and they said hit oand miss on the alignments on the new ones. Like Maxwell said check alignment. Sorry Tex I'm agreein to disagree this time.

Lol ok

That's different... think about it as the skid pivots, the track rounds the back wheels and hits the top wheels and or insides of the tunnel...

Looked at this the other night on revblu's sled when we put his rear wheels-brackets back in

LukeD

Reaction score
I played with the alignment. The axle wasn't equally centered in both windows and the track did seem over to one side more than the other. I've set it so the sag is equal on both sides at 30mm. This didn't result in the axle being centered in both sides though which I thought was strange. I'm gonna try it out again tomorrow. Thanks

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's like doing an alignment to a vehicle with loose parts..

As soon as it's moved some it's different than before

JDisco

Reaction score
Mine was making a terrible noise too when I let off the throttle. I thought it was in the chain case maybe, it sounded like my ski running on pavement. I could even feel it in my right foot. I guess I'll have to check my track but it sounded like something harder then the rubber track. Not even 200 kms on it, hope it's nothing serious

LukeD

Reaction score
Rode 50 miles today. I think the track alignment made a bit of difference ( for anyone who was interested in the results ). It's still far from gone though. I guess this is the quirk my '14 has, while other get the codes or bog/burp and mine does not (using a Jaws race can) or side panels not staying snapped in ( I got 2013 grommets from my dealer and it solved the problem). Thanks everyone for the input

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you make any changes to the sled? like rivet on tunnel stiffeners or something like that? On my sled it was buzzing some rivets in my tunnel but not leaving any marks to indicate any issues. also these machines make ALOT of noise from the track and everything . Try getting towed by another sled and you will hear all sorts of noises you never heard before. They seem to get quieter as they get older and the parts mate together better.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They seem noisier if they are run too loose...try tightening up a bit ( just to spec, nothing crazy tight) and it seems to almost go away completely.

Top Bottom