Educate me, so whats the process of tapping a new Oil plug?

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I kinda get pissed when I read threads like this. People bitch about the price etc. You have no idea what he is being quoted for. Chances are he is getting quoted for a case and not to heli-coil or re tap the threads. It should be pretty obvious on the quote. Now to you want if back to factory or patched together??? There are cheaper methods that work well but are not a guaranteed fix. You need to look at how bad it is chewed out and what you can get for a drain plug. Ideally you want it to last forever, not just a few oil changes. If you think he is getting ripped off post a copy of the quote and we will see what he is getting quoted for.

Wild1 needs to relax. If its the rear underside drain plug a simple helicoil will work just fine. The side plug has a filter behind it on the 350.
Fixed many a metric bike with helicoil that is still on the road years later and no drips

If the hop is saying its a 1k fix and not offering a simple fix as an option then the shop is not being considerate to its customers.

I have no problem with a fix being quoted high because of risk or doing it the "right" way. But i have some experience with this mechanic that was less than desirable, but my buddy swears by him(same guy who got the quote) Now he does do good work but his prices seem to be all over the map. He quoted $200 in parts and $800 in labour, you're not getting a new husky case for no $200, its a "husky repair kit" as he called it and you have to remove the engine from the frame to install it.

This is the rear drain plug not the side one with the filter in it. Its just a drain and that's it. So to quote my buddy $1000 with no other option IMO is in very bad taste. He's saying to tap it out or install a helicoil will leave the new plug with "nothing to hold onto" and that it'll leak in the future. Which is total BS. That being said its not my money so why should i care lol

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a FN drain plug people. Drill, thread, flush the case with oil to clear any debris that may have gotten in and done.

exactly, this is my thinking. talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A helicoil probably won't work. Usually around the drain hole the casing is a little thicker but not enough for a helicoil.

I'd get a straight thread plug next size in diameter and close to the same length, drill and tap and done. Only way you should have to remove the engine is if you can't fit tools in there to do it.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A helicoil probably won't work. Usually around the drain hole the casing is a little thicker but not enough for a helicoil.

I'd get a straight thread plug next size in diameter and close to the same length, drill and tap and done. Only way you should have to remove the engine is if you can't fit tools in there to do it.

thats the thing... where it sits it would be tight but i think you could fit a tap set in there pretty easy, either way he's $1000 lighter and we'll see what this magical fix looks like... when its done i'll post pics

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well he can go the cheap way and hopefully it works out ok. If it leaks and he doesn't realize it until it's too late it will only cost him an engine. His bike and his money.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well he can go the cheap way and hopefully it works out ok. If it leaks and he doesn't realize it until it's too late it will only cost him an engine. His bike and his money.
It won't leak if you do right. Done it several times. If it does, it will just be a drip and deal with it then.

Or jb weld and for sale.

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of dirt bikes have a piece of the engine case kind of like a pipe nipped but smooth with the threaded hole in that. When it strips there is literally no room left to do anything with it. No room to oversize as you will be through the sides. Some are just a typical threaded hole with lots of room left to go bigger size. Had a kx 250 here this year in same situation. Hole stripped and no room to oversize. Devconed a npt bushing in the hole and then used a pipe plug in the bushing for the drain plug. Temporary fix until season is over and can replace case half for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kind of like this pic

Attachments

• 20160606_184853.jpg
    20160606_184853.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 140

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like a job for tom @ motts. He did my 1990 cr 250. 200 bux..

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah the rear plug on the KTM motor is inset so lots of room for an oversized plug, good to know for next time though, or if I do it to mine :\

Top Bottom