Economy/Ression thread

everest8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has been a zillion responses here. Lets move forward here in 2017. As a Locomotive Engineer for CN Rail in Northern Ontario, Class 1 Railroad we have seen a dramatic increase in traffic ! Autos/grain/oil/potash/Lumber/Containers Etc. So if the the economy is going down why have we called back employees and traffic is going nuts ? Somebody some where needs traffic moved and we have it coast to coast. These jobs will have to appear somewhere along the line coast to coast. Not sure what is going out west but pipelines should be going on soon. Whack loads of pipes from Sault Ste Marie, Ont. going west. So to the people complaining...its coming or you dont have the ticket for the jobs around. Uneducated people get jobs such as...Would you like fries with your burger ? I am expecting many good agrees and bad posts for this. Wake up to the twits ! Enjoy the day ! :d

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As someone on the drilling manufacturing side of things here in Alberta, it's still slow. I actually laid a guy off last week that I hired back for a few months.
But with that being said when I talk to guys now at least things are positive! Not as much doom and gloom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most trades i know have taken severe wage cuts. Our union has cut comercial rate by 8$. Im sure industrial will be cut as soon as our agreement expires. With limited industrial construction in the near future things are not looking good for 2018.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

everest8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well something goofy is going on as the railroad has stupid traffic flowing ! trains everywhere. ?? Maybe traffic going to Asia ? Still lots of autos going both directions....odd.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Our own automotive service/repair business is down by 20% from 2 years ago.... Lost 5 major maintenance contracts. One company went under, and 2 others have moved to saskatchewan, one moved to prince georgec bc and the other hired their own technician. All in the last 2 years :( .... So far 2017 #'s are about the same as 2016, so i'm noticing a level to slight increase this year, projected :)

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work for a major construction company with divisions in Commercial, Industrial and Civil construction....

Two out of three and doing great, guess which one has moved as many as it can and is now laying off and closing up yards....Our Industrial division is tied directly to Oil....

Have heard some good things in the wind, but it will take a lot more then that to start the big machine up again....

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some good news is inter pipeline bought williams energys canadian assets. Their PDH plant is still going ahead. The ndp has agreed to the carbon credits of 300 to 500 million on a 2 billion dollar project. Good news for a couple mod yards and fort sask.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now we need this NDP government to push the permits for NWR pahse 2 before construction finishes.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spending like drunken sailors in Ontario and Quebec does have short term gains, but debt catches up to you sooner or later when you realize a budget does not balance it self. And guess what Alberta will not continue to be able to send over bucket loads of money for the ungratefully people back east.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
660 NEWS CHANNEL HAS RUN A POLL ABOUT HOW YOU'RE LIKING THE CARBON TAX NOW THAT IT IS IN PLACE....
THE RESULTS OF THE POLL:

CARBON TAX POLL RESULTS SO FAR:
I hate it even more now than when it was first introduced
81.4%
I still can't stand it ...
12.39%
I'm becoming more accepting of it
3.41%
I never had a problem with it
2.8%
“This is not the massive economic shock that the opposition would have us believe because the things that they were saying were going to happen haven’t happened – because the things that they were saying were not true,” she said.
The carbon tax kicked in January 1, and many low and middle income earners received a rebate last month.
Thank you for voting!

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't get to fired up yet folks. Only two more months until spring break for the patch workers then another dry spell until next fall/winter. We still have 2 years of NDP bull**** to endure and 3 years of Liberal spending bull**** to endure. We are a long ways from being out of the woods. So to speak.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
660 NEWS CHANNEL HAS RUN A POLL ABOUT HOW YOU'RE LIKING THE CARBON TAX NOW THAT IT IS IN PLACE....
THE RESULTS OF THE POLL:

CARBON TAX POLL RESULTS SO FAR:
I hate it even more now than when it was first introduced
81.4%
I still can't stand it ...
12.39%
I'm becoming more accepting of it
3.41%
I never had a problem with it
2.8%
“This is not the massive economic shock that the opposition would have us believe because the things that they were saying were going to happen haven’t happened – because the things that they were saying were not true,” she said.
The carbon tax kicked in January 1, and many low and middle income earners received a rebate last month.
Thank you for voting!
I bet those results are in line with the suggested closure of the Castle riding area .....
So in Shannon Phillips world , " people love it and are behind it 100%, those that are not .. well it's the previous governments fault"....

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i bet those results are in line with the suggested closure of the castle riding area .....
So in shannon phillips world , " people love it and are behind it 100%, those that are not .. Well it's the previous governments fault"....

you absolutely nailed it....... This ndp govt is so dillusional and out of touch with alberta, its a joke.... They consult with ndp supporters, with the same ideological beliefs that they have... Its sad

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those of us who have never experienced an NDP government will be paying for this mess for years to come .
Those of us who have Witnessed What can happen ,fully grasp the magnitude of the situation .

Let me say this . By the time knot head is done , the next government will have to impose spending cuts the likes of which most Albertans can't even imagine . Just to get us back on firm ground .

Plus we have to have the fortitude to stick to that plan fiscally & politically for many years ...
Our problems are not over once we throw knotleys sorry ass gang out the door ...
Unfortunately .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That and its every waste of skin that's to lazy to even get a job, Is wanting more and more handouts from them, and there's more of them then there is the working people. And they'll just keep on voting them in,

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
THE WORKING MIDDLE CLASS IS STILL THE BIGGEST POPULOUS IN ALBERTA, BY FAR... WE ALL NEED TO GET OUT AND VOTE NEXT TIME, SO IF THERE IS A SPLIT VOTE, AT LEAST THE NDPee WON'T GET IN, BUT IT COULD BE SPLIT BETWEEN WR AND CONS

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hope Notley doesnt decided to build fast ferries for the large bodies of AB lakes :cool: like BC NDP government did to us back in the '90's. 1/2 billion bucks into 3 ferries then to be all sold for less the $20 million for all 3 while practically brand new!

Top Bottom