eBikes and related things.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Our eBikes are assist bikes. We don’t have the thumb “throttle”. I still want the exercise/cardio and with the hills here in the Shuswap, it was a great choice. We have had to push up a few hills but that is okay because they have “go button” to assist in that mode.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our eBikes are assist bikes. We don’t have the thumb “throttle”. I still want the exercise/cardio and with the hills here in the Shuswap, it was a great choice. We have had to push up a few hills but that is okay because they have “go button” to assist in that mode.

I had a throttle option on mine and the wife’s bikes but never used it, I like the pedal assist better, especially on a mid drive, the harder you pedal the harder the motor works, get more potential power out of it. You still get the exercise but also a nice breeze cruising at 40-50 km/h lol, really nice on a hot day. Also the ground you can cover is insane. 50-60 km rides are half day or less instead of full day. However, I sold my e-bikes, it was hard on my back, got some disc issues, and me and the wife golf way too much to get out on the bikes enough to make it worth having them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a throttle option on mine and the wife’s bikes but never used it, I like the pedal assist better, especially on a mid drive, the harder you pedal the harder the motor works, get more potential power out of it. You still get the exercise but also a nice breeze cruising at 40-50 km/h lol, really nice on a hot day. Also the ground you can cover is insane. 50-60 km rides are half day or less instead of full day. However, I sold my e-bikes, it was hard on my back injury and me and the wife golf way too much to get out on the bikes enough to make it worth having them

My new juggernaut has a torque sensor like you described. I can’t believe the work out I get on this thousand watt bike. Torque sensors dont really give much assist unless you’re working hard. I can fly up hills and trails, but you have to put in the work to get the full assist. You lift up on the bars and push down on the pedals. It’s like a power band of awesomeness.
First time I rode my bike, 56 km Edmonton River trails when I got home I had a three hour nap. You would think a 500 W bike would be less powerful and more work but it’s actually the other way around. So many believe e bikes aren’t exercise. They are great exercise with more speed

Last edited:

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My new juggernaut has a torque sensor like you described. I can’t believe the work out I get on this thousand watt bike. Torque sensors dont really give much assist unless you’re working hard. I can fly up hills and trails, but you have to put in the work to get the full assist. You lift up on the bars and push down on the pedals. It’s like a power band of awesomeness.
First time I rode my bike, 56 km Edmonton River trails when I got home I had a three hour nap. You would think a 500 W bike would be less powerful and more work but it’s actually the other way around. So many believe e bikes aren’t exercise. They are great exercise with more speed

I believe the juggernaut has the bafang m620 or 510 ultra motor does is not? 1000w and 160nm of torqueis the rating. My bike had the m620 at 1000w tune

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Best upgrade for the motor I did was put the chain ring adapter on to be able to run a smaller tooth and lighter chainring. That factory chainring ways a ton, gears it way to high and puts a far greater strain on the motor spinning all that weight. I went with a 38 tooth chainring and the bike was way more fun in tight trails and even better on hills.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best upgrade for the motor I did was put the chain ring adapter on to be able to run a smaller tooth and lighter chainring. That factory chainring ways a ton, gears it way to high and puts a far greater strain on the motor spinning all that weight. I went with a 38 tooth chainring and the bike was way more fun in tight trails and even better on hills.

Do you have the same bike?
that sounds like a good idea

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have the same bike?
that sounds like a good idea

Same motor, I had a sondors rockstar with the bafang m620 tuned to 1000w, same motor as the juggernaut with slightly different tuning for sondors.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My bike shop friend and I sat down too rattle the numbers,,, game plan getting started...

My friend cut me a deal on a EVO fat-bike with Bafang package ...

We discussed my needs and wants going forward,,, I like my standard evo ( Old Man Winter) bike,,, but its alot of work moving the 44 lb unit with the Studded North-45 tire...
20230319_144901.jpg

52 + lbs with gear for Bragg Creek fat tire trails,,, I can do it,,, it definitely takes a toll on me on a 2 day run...

Was planning on doing a mid drive e-bike kit at XX funds,,, he had 5 of these units he's cleaner-ing out,,, he crunched some numbers and a deal was done...
20231121_173219.jpg

These bafang units are simple and abundant with easy too acess rear hub drive,,, battery and mother board,,, 500 watt unit... quick thumb throttle removal if I ride on certain trails...

I'll punt my standard fat bike and keep my standard xtc for my normal rolly hill/ flat land trails with some normal climbs once in awhile...
20231119_111410.jpg

Leave it alone so I can keep pace with my normal pedal-bike activities that I really enjoy doing...

2 bikes for both activities... standard bike for standard rides,,, use the e-bike if im feeling lazy or tackle the winter trails with greater ease...

I'll most likely end up pedaling the e-bike too climb most hills or too keep warm sitting in the saddle,,, yes,,, its a simple e-assist system that will reward my once in awhile...

I took it for a evening ride tonight,,, checked out the 5 power levels,,, level 1 is good enough in our area,,, I don't need nothing on the flats or down hill runs...

I'm all about slow,,, no hurry be'ing any where,,, 1st and 2nd gear on the fat-tire is still faster then walking...

Thanks again everyone,,, I'll throw up a post once i knock off a few miles...

Cheers all

Don

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's funny that you mentioned this drew,,, this new bike im running is the same thing,,, if i run my candance at 66 too 80 + the e-assist really takes off...

It must sense that a person is putting out so it goes into a turbo mode...

I tackle a steep hill with slow candance,,, I ended up in low gear zig-zagging my way too the top...

I played around on the hill for awhile thinking I'll have too pitch in with my legs no matter what...

My 7th or 8th final run up the long steep climb was at full candance of what my legs could do...

Dang,,, she was a stright on pull with no zig-zagging required,,, I ended up dropping 2 gears too keep the rpms going and the e-assist remained in turbo mode...

It must sense this from the crank set sensor...

There is no way id get my standard fat-tire bike up that hill that fast with-out alot of zig-zagging my way up there on top of the 3 ish minutes grinding away...

Candance over 80 is like adding rocket fuel too alot of these e-,bikes...

Thanks for sharing Drew...

Lots too learn for me...

Im sure I'll be wearing my bike helmet on this thing... lol

Don

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got the 27.5x4.5 Studded Cake-Eat'ers mounted last night...
20231123_072458.jpg

My friend will build me a few component wraps too keep water,,, ice,,, salt,,, mud,,, and foren-debrie from entering the lower battery contact points and the upper control switches and instrument cluster...
20231123_072521.jpg

^^^ temporary covers for now till we get things sorted...

I'll add some splash guards over time...

Correct,,, most of the e-componets are water proof,,, but according too the manufacturer time slowly takes its toll...

The Bafang instrument cluster is not as water/ moisture proof as folks expect,,, I'm not game at finding this out when farm operations are on the go...
20231121_173219.jpg

The cattle wouldn't be happy if the Kow-e-bike goes down during bedd-ing hours...

Happy Kows like timely operations...

We will stud the factory tires too have on hand ,,, pick up some cheaper tires if we decide too do a few mountain climbs this summer...
20220713_152922.jpg

^^^ If I can ride my f.s and h.t up here there's no reason why the fat won't make it...

Cheers all

Don

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats one awesome e bike,,, a person can pick up a full suspension Marin for 1/3 less that price...

There are 12 bike brands listed between the $5200 too $6200 cnd funds that can hold the line too the specialized...

Great ride today...
Screenshot_20231126_205622_Gallery.jpg

River Valley Trails are in great shape...

20231126_142042.jpg

Hopefully I can log on some more mile this Week too get use too the power modes too gear ratio's...

A bit of learning curve too get into the flow of things

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
E-bikes are simple until one gets too the hill's,,, a little bit of this and that attack-ing the terrain when the climbs start...

Set the power mode and change up the gears so a person can sift up the hills...

Thank the Supreme Bean for walk mode... lol

Its a cake walk once a person gets the Two systems working together...

Zero assist on the flats and de-cents...

First impression of E-bike...

Hummmmm

Wick'ed they are...

Don

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
E-bikes are simple until one gets too the hill's,,, a little bit of this and that attack-ing the terrain when the climbs start...

Set the power mode and change up the gears so a person can sift up the hills...

Thank the Supreme Bean for walk mode... lol

Its a cake walk once a person gets the Two systems working together...

Zero assist on the flats and de-cents...

First impression of E-bike...

Hummmmm

Wick'ed they are...

Don
I have 2 show stopper Harley’s. and I spent most summer days this summer on my Ebike. Make matters worse. I can’t believe I’m admitting it. Lol.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same for me,,, bought a new dual-sport bike and a new standard analog cross country mtb ...
20231119_111410.jpg

Super fun and easy too predal,,, I pretty much needed to go fat-tire e-assist after beating my self up last year in the Bragg Creek Fat Tire area...
20230318_113024.jpg

44 lbs with studded boots,,, I definitely burnt my self out on a few rides threw-out the Province...
52 lbs with supplies on most rides...

Low pressure fat tires are hard too pedal...
20230319_150217.jpg

Fun bike but alot of work...

Green'er pastures going forward,,, I only need the e-assist for some of the climbs,,, other then that is free wheel-ing on the pedals...
20231126_134625.jpg

I picked a 500 watt rear hub model since i don't need the big power units ,,, they say it's better too keep pedaling in the winter months too stay warm,,, it really depends on what fitness level a person's at and how active they want too be...

My bike shop friend and I sat down too plan out an idea which will work for me...

Fat tire e-bike in the winter month's with a bit of work-out too remain active,,, then my light-weight analog mtb in the summer time months...

Im sure my game plan will change over time,,, at least im getting a hands on in this stuff before I get too old...

It's definitely a fun winter time active that doesn't cost too too much,,, mostly local stuff with a few Province wide trips lined up between work shifts...

Cheers all

Don

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To stay warm in the winter I turn the boost down a bit do some climbing bring body temp up. The Back on the boost. The bafang on level 5 is to much on winter trails. Pogeys over the grips are good too, can wear a regular riding glove most of the time.
Been Thinking about how to splice in a set of sled grip heaters.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or battery powered gloves and socks if needed...

Only when a person is enjoying a break,,, tuck the riding gloves into one's jacket too keep them warm,,, switch them out and carry on...

The small disposable heat packs are handy,,, cheap and fast,,, they take up no space and there fairly light too throw in the day pack...

Thanks for reminding me about this...

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think theres going too be a few sales this winter when the new inventory starts showing up at the dealerships...

A win win for us consumers

Top Bottom