E-Tec worth the extra coin?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doo had carbs that were far superior to cats efi system. Crappy throttle response and extreme fuel usage is hardly a trait of a good operating fuel injection system. Ya they had it for a long time. No denying that. I don't know that just because you have an efi system that's refined to nothibg short of manualy dumping fuel into the cylinders before doo had it makes it better. Etec throttle control is as good or better than its previous carb models. I forgot to mention that. On and off the throtttle is flawless with the etec its cool technology. But justifying it is difficultforme and you obviously.

ya ya, :d and Doo's ETEC doesn't get any better oil mileage than the Ptek so mileage wise are we comparing apples? - Doo's carbs might have been superior to the first generations of EFI back in 1993, not in the last 5 yrs. Manual systems (even with engine management parameters like a knock sensor vs fully electronic)? not a chance, even MPEM and DPEM, the HAC was a good idea for the time, Doo gets credit for coming up with a decent altitude system in 1994, but Doo's system comparatively to a full EFI system that monitors far more variables in the last 5 yrs? again not even close. Any system with jets is outdated, computer software is the new fuel delivery method. Hard to argue with all the tech out there for Cat/Poo/Yammy...No one making an adjustable control box for Doo p-tek sleds.....so much easier tuning a sled with a laptop or a few push buttons on the Boondocker box than a Mikuni jet wrench and a handle of parts, slides, jets, needles, pilot jets. The couple cats in our group don't ride out on less fuel than the doo's or yammy's, everyone is pretty close for the same style of riding. Usually I'm the one running on fumes and I have the biggest tank.

Electronics are the future. Go ETEC if you can afford it IMO. As mentioned, better cold starting, no flooding, etc. Is it worth the extra $$$? Depends on the operator, if a hard starting sled a few times a year isn't that big of a deal, no its not worth the extra $$. If you roll it lots or want something that will be more current than the Ptek - yes its probably worth it. Individual preference.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well lets just throw this out there as i have had just a little experience with the BOMB product.

Glengine you are totally right. OMC NOW BRP has the rights to FICHT NOW ETEC and has been running since 97.
Sleds have finally been put up against the wall by the emmission police.

As far as a super dooper system i agree love it to death.
Does it really put brp ahead of anybody else?????? Only if they would have addressesd the CRANK issue that BRP has had with the 800 since lets say 2001 or so. Wait till some of you brp nuts get say 2to3000 miles on those cranks and they start coming apart again just like all the other years.
brp has a issue with the greased bearing and they havent addressed it. it makes them to much money.

and yes i have owned brp product and i work on it with my job all the time.

all sleds have good points

So why the fasination with brp? no other company catches your attention ???

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
.........Did you just re-buttle agaist modman?.....................what an idoit. I may argue... But I know when to shut up.. YOU DONT! loool
I have learned my lesson there.. like 8 times...

I don't pretend to know everything nor do I care to "beat down" anyone with knowledge. You guys just need to open your minds a little I think. Doo makes a great sled, but every manufacturer has things that they do well and things they do...not so well. I don't know why you guys get so defensive over an internet statement......

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah it's been suprising the number of people on here that have actually been leavin the doo's because of what they call "money pits". Well as far as i'm concerned any sled can be a money pit depending on what you want to do to it. But lots of them are reffering to needing to put a shortblock in them once a season if you put decent km's on. I dont personally like the fact that you need to redo the motor every 3000km,. That being said the etec may be better we dont have enough of them with high enough milage to tell yet. But what i do know is two of my '09 rental M8's have 5500km and 8600km and they are still on the original motors, other than regular maintenance on both havn't had to touch a bolt. Knock on wood.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
I don't pretend to know everything nor do I care to "beat down" anyone with knowledge. You guys just need to open your minds a little I think. Doo makes a great sled, but every manufacturer has things that they do well and things they do...not so well. I don't know why you guys get so defensive over an internet statement......

There is other munufacturer's than ski-doo? Hooooolyy CRAP! BRB gotta phone maxwell and tell him! lol j/k

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why does everyone complain about throttle pull on the carb motors..... just take 1 curl off the spring and it pull as easy as the etec. doo did thzat spring up extra tight cause of the boys out east and freezing carbs

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why does everyone complain about throttle pull on the carb motors..... just take 1 curl off the spring and it pull as easy as the etec. doo did thzat spring up extra tight cause of the boys out east and freezing carbs

Yah last winter had a guy come sleddin out here and he had a buddy take one wrap off the spring because he had heart surgery a year prior and thought it'd make it easier. Well at the end of the first day he brought it in to me to ask me to put a wrap back on because it scared the crap out of him when the throttle stuck wideopen. So be cautious about tellin people to just take a wrap off of the throttle return spring.

Reaction score
Okay well as far as throttle response and such on the older cat efi's i know lots of king cat 900's that didn't have any throttle response issue what so ever. And in one of your earlier posts you said that the Ptek and the E-tec are same power, not according to doo they aren't the e-etec has about 10 more hp. The Ptek or 800R motors were rated at 151-155hp and the E-tec is supposedly rated at 161-163hp. BRP bought OMC that makes johnson/evinrude outboards years ago for the ficht fuel technology, they fuel delivery system on the etec is nothing new it's just new to sleds.

X2 must agree its old technology, the big 3 are all within reasonable range of each other when it comes to tech, i just don"t understand why everyone has to come unglued when anybody says anything bad about doos there no better or no worse than anything else out there, everything else is just personal option.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont think anyone can deny the doos have the best deep snow performance out of the box. and afterall thats what we want isnt it. same hp and weight as the others but much more track surface area and lug height.

backseatrider

Reaction score
I have a 2009 600etec and love it. I carried the oil jug around for a year before I needed to add any, and at the pump my bill is 1/3 of Glen's. However the best feature to me is the instant reverse, I just love it!

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say yes for the E-Tec. Had an 09 with the 800 Powertek before and sure like the new E-Tec.
Easy throttle pull, a bit more power and very easy on fuel.

xpsledneck

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's sled shopping time for me and after much deliberation I've come to realize that a new summit is the sled I want. My only hang-up is, I like the idea of the E-Tec engine (lighter throttle pull, less stink and less oil consumption), but sticker on a new SP is around 13,000, whereas I can get a Summit sport with the old powertek engine for a little over 10k OTD. Is that fancy new engine really worth an extra 3 grand?
Dont forget that you get way better fuel economy in the e-tec and i here that they have a 3 year engine warranty now to. wouldent trade my e-tec back to my ptec even if you payed me to.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont think anyone can deny the doos have the best deep snow performance out of the box. and afterall thats what we want isnt it. same hp and weight as the others but much more track surface area and lug height.

I would disagree that the doo has the best deep powder performance. Because it comes down to rider preference as i cant make a doo do half of the stuff i can make my cat do. But i havn't spent alot of time on the doo. Aswell the actual amount of extra track on the ground isn't much when figured out yes it is more but not as much as alot of people figure, a 154 16"wide isnt equivilent to a 163 15". In overall demensions maybe but not when you actually compare just the footprint difference which is the part that gives floatation.

If you are going to go with a doo then i would definitely recommend the etec.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
....... a 154 16"wide isnt equivilent to a 163 15". In overall demensions maybe but not when you actually compare just the footprint difference which is the part that gives floatation.

the basic math calculates to these figures: 154x16=2464 and 163x15=2445 and 163x16=2608 (just to throw that out there). That is the area of the track or the total footprint if the track were cut in half and laid out flat.

What are your figures for the actual track on the snow? I'm thinking the 16's have more but until we actually have numbers or facts are we just "thinking so"?

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just curious if any of the offended brp under-wearing crowd have any idea how long cat and poo had efi sleds before doo did? Anyone?

You can play the "who caught up to who" game all day - doo had a more evolved chassis until this year, cat/poo had a more evolved motor until this year.

To the original poster: Etec if you can afford it, any efi is worth the $$$.

are you fricking kidding? Polaris efi were junk when they came out. Remember the great old rxl? How about the 900's? And then the 800 dragon blow up motors that ran so lean that for the new pro they had to lower the hp 20hp to keep them together. Funny how you strip a cat and a poo apart and how much they look like a doo chassis now. Ya i guess doo has some catching up to do. Oh wait they caught up to that design in 07 with the rev platform. Lmffao

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont think anyone can deny the doos have the best deep snow performance out of the box. And afterall thats what we want isnt it. Same hp and weight as the others but much more track surface area and lug height.

you got it all wrong maxwell. Didnt you hear? Doo's dont side hill as well as cat and poo. Oh wait! Thats right they dont have to sidehill to get to the top. They straight line to the top. Hahahahhahaha

Highmarker03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh wait they caught up to that design in 07 with the rev platform. Lmffao

Actually the rev platform came out in 2003 1/2. Or 2004 for mountain sleds. The XP came out in 2008. The Ptek was 2007.
If we are all about stating facts, then I got to keep you honest!:p

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
actually the rev platform came out in 2003 1/2. Or 2004 for mountain sleds. The xp came out in 2008. The ptek was 2007.
If we are all about stating facts, then i got to keep you honest!:p

true...

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
geez, i need to be more careful with what i say, the pots stirs way to easy on here.

What i ment to say about the etec, is it is the engine of the future skidoo chassis, atleast for the first year or so until they slap on a stock turbo (wishing), or release the next best thing. Had skidoo not released it this last year they would be way behind the competition for 2012, therefore the only thing skidoo released lately that is keeping them in the game for this year. Once again skidoo is not for a minute gonna let the competition pass them. Its hard to argue against that this year will be the closest the cat/poo has ever been to matching skidoo sled for sled. Unfortunately for kitty poo, the 2013 skidoo lineup will make them look like antiques.

Top Bottom