E-Tec Power

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My E-Tec pulls hard but do others really think they are getting the 163 hp that is claimed? My track speed during a climb should be much more and I don't think it is clutching as I have tried the same clutching as my 08 had and they are about the same. Accelleration is great with the E-Tec its just when its loaded up that I am not seeing big gains.

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't notice much more power in the hills climbing with fresh pow. Essentially seeing the same track speed as my 08 that was geared with a 19/45, not even sure what my everest etec has?

The etec seems to climb a bit better but i have a feeling it is due to the non ported camoplast that they now come standard with.

Right now with the manufactures set up for clutching i am running clicker 2 in the moutains (revy, sicamous 6000-7 ft) and sometimes hit the rev limiter so i will try throwing pin weight at it to see what happens.

Overall i like the sled, but it is by no means a monster compared to my 08 or any other xp.

This may all change next year when it is running reliable boost (if the kits out there become proven) and a 2.5 camo extreme.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe the non-ported track is a little harder to spin since it would be stiffer? I know my kids Polaris has a soft ported track and it turns easy by hand. I agree it climbs better than the 08 but I was hoping for more track speed. BTW the gearing on the 154 is said to be 19/45. I had my 08 at 20/45 and it was faster than when I tried it at 19/45.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The etec power drops off quickly after 8000rpm from the dyno reports so maybe too many people are trying to peak them too high.

I read somewhere 7950 is peak RPM.

Chris I am pretty sure yours is set up for 8000?

Either way, only BRP had the dyno report at 163, any others I have seen on the forums say 156. (at sealevel)

Then your %3? loss for every 1000' elevation. (atleast I believe its %3) and you are what over 20hp loss depending where you ride?

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at the X games on the weekend those 800 engines, I think they were 7000 ft the commentators said they were only at 115 h/power

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah I always listen to guys with dreadlocks and goggles on when commentating.... :rolleyes:

163 @ 7000' should be around 129
156 @ 7000' be around 124

base of Buttermilk, where X-games was...7870'

so 124 if stock is 163...119 if stock is 156....maybe goggle man was reading things correctly

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The etec power drops off quickly after 8000rpm from the dyno reports so maybe too many people are trying to peak them too high.

I read somewhere 7950 is peak RPM.

Chris I am pretty sure yours is set up for 8000?

Either way, only BRP had the dyno report at 163, any others I have seen on the forums say 156. (at sealevel)

Then your %3? loss for every 1000' elevation. (atleast I believe its %3) and you are what over 20hp loss depending where you ride?

Yes my RPM's are on the lower side if anything unless I run at a clicker higher than I like so I have a new stiffer spring on the way. I have a temperature sensor cheater that I am trying for my next ride. It fools the computer into thinking the motor is 20 degrees cooler than it is (1 bar on the gauge) This lets the ECM pump out more power. It all sounds good unless you actually overheat it. We installed a by-pass switch on the cheater circuit so on the trails you can run it in normal mode. I will report how this works out. If it's good, we will be selling them on our site for about $55-$60.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry, i thought 21 was stock, must be thinkin of my 154.

Why would you want to gear up ?

On my 08 I lost too much track speed when trying a 19. 20 clearly worked better. Maybe it was the helix I had in??

muffin

Reaction score
For what it is worth to youall heard there mite be a problem with the etec computer switching altitude programs internally at or about 4000 ft elevation, just a rumour maybe , i have not seen an etec that appears to make claimed HP, , sticking with 08 xp , less to go wrong :beer:

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For what it is worth to youall heard there mite be a problem with the etec computer switching altitude programs internally at or about 4000 ft elevation, just a rumour maybe , i have not seen an etec that appears to make claimed HP, , sticking with 08 xp , less to go wrong :beer:

Where did you hear this? It wasn't another sled forum was it? If the sled had a problem 'switching programs' I think they would start running like crap. If they were running at high elevation like they were during break-in at low elevation then you might be on to something, but that's just not the case.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did you hear this? It wasn't another sled forum was it? If the sled had a problem 'switching programs' I think they would start running like crap. If they were running at high elevation like they were during break-in at low elevation then you might be on to something, but that's just not the case.

The etec has quite a bit more power compared to the ptek, if the ptek was 155 hp id say the etec is between the 160-165 hp mark.

You guys and your etec problems. The only thing i noticed was i got a message at startup that said EEprom 2, anyone know what this is?

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The etec has quite a bit more power compared to the ptek, if the ptek was 155 hp id say the etec is between the 160-165 hp mark.

You guys and your etec problems. The only thing i noticed was i got a message at startup that said EEprom 2, anyone know what this is?

I've gotten this message on my screen too. Talked to Will at Mr r's and he had never heard of it.

jimxp

Reaction score
ya the power is there but i feel when its loaded it dont pull like it should, i switched to the team tied secondary running a 62 helix, waiting for a straight 59, i tested it today riding with two other m8 s... a 09 and a new 2011... similar weight riders and the new cat pulled 50 ft ahead of my etec and the 09 cat was about 25 ft ahead of me as well!! couldnt belive it both stock out of the box. we pulled a good hill about 700 metres with 16inch fresh snow.

YamaDoo PolCat

Reaction score
ya the power is there but i feel when its loaded it dont pull like it should, i switched to the team tied secondary running a 62 helix, waiting for a straight 59, i tested it today riding with two other m8 s... a 09 and a new 2011... similar weight riders and the new cat pulled 50 ft ahead of my etec and the 09 cat was about 25 ft ahead of me as well!! couldnt belive it both stock out of the box. we pulled a good hill about 700 metres with 16inch fresh snow.

Nice comparison. You will also note that the machines all run similar tracks and horse power. That just leaves power transfer to the track.

Yup you just arrivd back at the biggest problem with the BRP product, the spring balanced TRA governor system for power transfer.

Next time out bolt on a mass governor, like the cat clutch and you will just fine.

I know. My buddy rides a 2010 Cat M8. If I run the TRA the 800R is embarassing. Install the Comet 108 next ride and in soft snow I can out climb the M8, but only by 30 feet or so. I hard conditions the M8 hard nose track pulls better.

But if you run the TRA you better get used to following the 2010 M8.

Attachments

• PB142033 ss.jpg
    PB142033 ss.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 293
Top Bottom