dunes at fort mac

z400

Reaction score
has anyone been to the dunes north of fort mac and if so what is your opinion are they worth the drive what are they comparable to any info would be great

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If your looking for Dunes Brule is a lot closer!
catmando!

z400

Reaction score
i know that but heard the ones up there are actual moving dunes and not just sand hills but very limited info on them and no first hand info

Med1ogre

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the area is more "rolling hill" vs the climbs you'd find in brule. I also hear ya pretty much need a utv with a walking beam to bring gear in because by the time you get to the riding area from stage you'll need gas and food.:beer:;):beer:

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has anyone been to the dunes north of fort mac and if so what is your opinion are they worth the drive what are they comparable to any info would be great

The area you are referring to is 6 lakes and Richardson dunes. Drive roughly an hour north of McMurray until you hit gravel. Keep driving approximately 30 km until the road gates off and that's where you unload. It's about 70km to 6 lakes (lots of smaller lakes along the way) and an additional 70 to the dunes. You will need a tub trailer and camping gear, fuel, food etc,to make this trip. You can do 6 in a day but she's a long one. The trail up is pretty much a beach sand highway and can be fairly rough. I've never been to Brule, but 6 lakes is pretty beautiful.

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i know that but heard the ones up there are actual moving dunes and not just sand hills but very limited info on them and no first hand info

Ive heard The dunes consume approx a foot of forest a year. Kind of crazy to be riding along on what looks like an ocean floor and all of a sudden it just ends and turns to forest.

Top Bottom