Driver's Licence to Operate Off Road Vehicle????

RocroM8

Reaction score
Anyone know if you need Driver's Licence to operate an Off Road Vehicle. A buddy of mine asked and can't think of an answer>

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So kids are not allowed to ride there?

An except from the AOHVA link I sent in my last post:

Minimum driving age: The minimum age for operating off-highway vehicles on public land or highways is 14 years where permitted. If you are younger than 14 years, you may operate on public land with supervision by someone 18 years of age or older who is either on the same off-highway vehicle or in close proximity. (Off-Highway Vehicle Regulation, Section 2.) If operating on private property, no age restriction applies.

Here's another link I found to a printable copy of a section of the Traffic Safety Act: http://www.aohva.com/pdf/OHV_Regulations.pdf

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To register an ATV under your name you do need a licence.

I don't believe that's true and I don't imagine that this is limited to OHv's. For example, even if my license is suspended, I am still legally obligated to register my vehicle or I risk getting it towed if it is not parked on private property. (i.e. you should not have to have a diver's license to be the registered owner of a vehicle) ...I could be wrong about that but I don not believe so.

Here's the registration requirements listed in the Traffic Act:

15 Before issuing a certificate of registration for an off-highway
vehicle to an applicant, the Registrar may require
(a) proof satisfactory to the Registrar that the person named
as owner in the application is the owner,
(b) proof satisfactory to the Registrar that the information in
the application is correct,
(c) proof satisfactory to the Registrar of the identity of the
applicant, or
(d) the production of a valid financial responsibility card
issued in respect of the off-highway vehicle in the name
of the person who is the owner of the off-highway vehicle.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when you register your atv you use your license for ID, you could use your passport if you had to.

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that's true and I don't imagine that this is limited to OHv's. For example, even if my license is suspended, I am still legally obligated to register my vehicle or I risk getting it towed if it is not parked on private property. (i.e. you should not have to have a diver's license to be the registered owner of a vehicle) ...I could be wrong about that but I don not believe so.

Here's the registration requirements listed in the Traffic Act:

If your licence is suspended you cannot register your vehicle until you have a valid licence. My aunt tried and they said NO!!

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other thing that some people don't realize is that you can get an impaired on an atv or sled, that would affect your dr license.

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The other thing that some people don't realize is that you can get an impaired on an atv or sled, that would affect your dr license.

Riding lawnmowers and electric scooters too.

Canadianking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have an impaired and loose your license you see not allowed to operate any motor vehicle including quads sleds or ride on mowers. Can't register vehicles in your name of any sort either. Trust me 2000 dollar fine and 10 day stay at remand center for riding my sled after loosing my license plus another 6 month suspension.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What difference does it make if you need a licence or not? Most drivers out there with one can't drive worth a crap anyhow.:d

IG650

Reaction score
In Alberta, do you need a drivers license as a condition for 3rd party liability insurance?

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need insurance& registration first off. Most places where it is legal to operate them on roads require a valid learners license or for the kid to be within full view of the parents at ALL times....or so fish and feathers told me 2 years ago by Rig Street

Top Bottom