Drinking & Riding?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will try and dig up some of the regulations but am quite sure that this will fall under illegal conveyance, possesion and consuming alcohol in a public place. really you would think it to be the same batch of charges as if you were drinking in a public park or like I said before if you had a couple of beers beside you on the seat of your truck. By my saying this is illegal I do not mean that it is against the law to drink period, it is illegal to have with you and to actually drink it on the trail. But as with Longhorn I will try and find print to back it up.

Ever got a speeding ticket on the highway?

revscribb

Reaction score
I'll go along with the one or two throughout the day rule.:hmm: Nix on the plastered PTs.:please: That's all I have to say about that.

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A beer here or there is ok with me. If I see someone getting tanked up (usually you can tell they will be a problem before they even start drinking) I will bail and get the hell out of there. I have had a beer a couple of times, just not my preference anymore. When I get back to town is when I like to have a few. Not too many though, gotta be able to ride the next day.

The only thing I can't except is the drug thing. One, its never been my thing, and two if I ever ended up losing my job because someone around me was doing something like that you could kiss my sledding times away. This sport ain't cheap. Bad enough when you go to a concert and you can't get away from it. No soap box here. Anyone can do what they want to do, just don't force it on others.

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
This is a very good thread…identical to one a year or so ago…just different contributors…I could not find it.

I was looking for it because there was a gent that explicitly told me in a heated couple of posts that if I came across him on a trail or up in the peaks and he was in serious trouble (injured, hanging by a tree, broken down etc.) AND I’d consumed any alcohol what so ever, I was to pass him by...he did not want my help and would “rather parish on the trail”.

My point is, as previously stated by many, there will always be too sides to this debate AND if you really think of it…one is a little more socially responsible then the other.

Now that being said….

Have I gotten drunk and sledded…yes. Do I get drunk and sled anymore…no. Do I drink and sled…still yes. I learnt my lesson, like some have, but without damage or injury to anyone. I realized after flying uncontrollably over a small hill at 80kmph up in Whitecourt that I’d had too may “pops” and man what a reality check it was…took quite a few sleepless nights to work out WTF I was thinking that day…I got lucky. I will still have “beers with the boys” on the trail or mountain, yes…but moderation has been self taught and is respected.

A bunch of you out there will disagree with me and I’m OK with that…as previously posted by many, my intention is not to offend anyone nor to stand up here and give a sermon out of a whiskey bottle, it is to discuss the topic openly and constructively.

As for my interaction on a thread a year ago … if I come across you on the trail and you messed up either under the influence (hopefully not) or not … I will assist you unconditionally.

I endorse enjoying responsibly.

Todd.

Last edited:

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Longhorn, of course it's illegal. You will get a small fine for open liquor. It's just like boating or anything else. It's right up there with walking around a campground with a beer in your hand. I have put a lot of thought into this. I am heading to a couple poker rallies in Sask in a couple weeks. And yes I will have at least one beer on the trail. Maybe 2 depending on the weather. Mainly because I like the taste of beer. And then after wards I may get a little tipsy, as I do enjoy the taste of whiskey too. The alcohol has to be with in reach while driving. I have never yet seen anyone driving a sled, and drinking at the same time, pretty sure I will be safe. This is all I have to say. Bash me if you want.

Ok, I have done a lot of research tonight and this is a very vague question...and really hard to find a answer for...

You can be ticketed for being 'under the influence' but it seems that this judgement is made by either RCMP or Fish and Wildlife. This can be at any blood alcohol level. AFTER .08 then you are considered legally impaired, and can actually lose your drivers licesnse while snowmobiling. You can also be fined for 'open liquor' if seen consuming alcohol outside of any licensed establishment, so at the bottom of the hill, on the trail, at the cabin, it is absolutely illegal.

Anyways, I am done my research for tonight. Makes for interesting reading, and some very scary stats about snowmobile deaths. Ontario seems to have the best records of stats, real hard to find info about Alberta and BC.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Longhorn, of course it's illegal. You will get a small fine for open liquor. It's just like boating or anything else. It's right up there with walking around a campground with a beer in your hand. I have put a lot of thought into this. I am heading to a couple poker rallies in Sask in a couple weeks. And yes I will have at least one beer on the trail. Maybe 2 depending on the weather. Mainly because I like the taste of beer. And then after wards I may get a little tipsy, as I do enjoy the taste of whiskey too. The alcohol has to be with in reach while driving. I have never yet seen anyone driving a sled, and drinking at the same time, pretty sure I will be safe. This is all I have to say. Bash me if you want.

No way bud...

We are all allowed opinons here, and heck I see both sides here...I completely agree with your post, but was just replying to Sledmama's question regarding the legality...

Totally agree, I have never, nor do I expect to see anyone ever drinking WHILE riding :) but it would be kind of funny.

Truth be told, the more I read peoples opinons here, the more I learn, and one thing I have learned is that I fall into the 'Hypocrite' category...since we are all being so honest here, I fall into the group that has had a beer in the trailer while loading up at the end of the day, and *GASP* yes driving after. I guess I justify it in my head by saying I am a waaaay better driver than a sledder, so I guess that is where my comfort level is...For me its more about setting an example for the kids. I dont want them to think that they should load a pack with beers for the hill. I still love a cold beer from time to time, and definately drink my share the rest of the time...

Flame on...:eek:

This has turned into a really good discussion, glad it has stayed civil...

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My insurance is void if I'm found to have any booze/drugs in my system.

There's a different angle to think about as well.

A BC guy with insurance?

I don't think that the insurance thing is a determining factor(for most) regarding the drinking and riding. Just like automobiles, the extemists aren't really concerned and there are far too many of them on the road.

It seems that with the more powerful machines we see more and more of the extreme drinkers in the far out back country. These guys are out of cell phone service, I wouldn't think many have SAT phones, a few may have SPOTS, and to be pounding them back throughout the day IMHO is totally irresponsible. With good conditions, good thought processes, and a little luck it may still take 2 hours for a chopper to get to an accident scene. A broken leg is all it takes for a chopper ride!! We are in places all the time where a guy/gal with a broken leg couldn't tolerate the pain during a ride out in a toboggan. It would take another 3 hours minimum to get the tobaggan back into the scene.

Most of the trails into the basins in our area are little more than 4' wide, side hilling through the bush, and up and down steep climbs with trees on both sides and there is no room for error or bad/slow judgement. A beer or two, maybe but pounding them back and add some whiskey no way! As I said in the beginning I have changed, my riding has changed, my friends have changed and I found that to enjoy the day, these had to happen.

Yes, a good thread, fs

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally don't drink on the trails or hills, but if someone wants to have 1 or 2 throughout the day it is not an issue with me. It's the ones that pound 2 or 3 back 9am first thing, and head up in the hills that scare me.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a hypocrite! After reading all this I finally realized it! I never, ever take it with me on the trail....but we quite often have a brew back at the truck. It doesn't bother me if someone I ride with takes a couple along for the day, but I purposely avoid riding with the ones I know over indulge. But here's the most hypocritical part....Jeeping in the summer we always have a cooler and have a cold one at every stop. No high speed stuff here like sledding, but still totally illegal and hypocritical of me. :nono:

I seem to have some re-evaluating to do! :confused:

spitfire340

Reaction score
I will second this especially the kooky part

It actually bothers me to think that there are some who are so righteous about their "ZERO TOLERANCE" rule that if they saw me drinking one of my two beer/coolers on the hill they would choose to stay away from me because I might be dangerous. Seriously? That is craziness. I am a hardworking, responsible mother of 3 and when I have time off to go sledding, I thoroughly enjoy and have earned my nice cold bevy's after sweating my arse off in the snow. But, you would never know what a kooky, fun person I am because you drove on by based on the premise that I am getting chit-faced and endangering others.

And what is this crapola drivel about: "drinking and operating any motor vehicle being illegal, Period?!?" I am no lawyer, but last I checked, as long as you are under the legal limit, it is still in the realm of legal. I am pretty sure my two coolers drank over the course of an entire day are not enough to make me a criminal.

I ride for fun. I live to come home for my kids. I drink because it tastes seriously good and I know my limits and never, ever, ever, push that limit. But you wouldn't ride with me??? Ooookay... whatevah!!

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
booze is good lets face it, but it does my riding know good, its time to put the bottle down & pin the throttle.............. ha its snowin hard lets ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

spitfire340

Reaction score
Might be going next week but work is busy, Jer busy too? Spring is coming thankfully. We will definatly get together. I'm not co-ordinated enough to drink & ride but i SOMETIMES drink and sit/stand.

Bahahahaha!! Nice. When are we going riding (but not drinking!!) ???:eek:;):beer:;):eek:

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
couple throughout a hot spring day You bet!....but like everyone else...there's guys that go crazy up at 7000+ft...I just leave..Summit X has seen that in Lang.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
couple throughout a hot spring day You bet!....but like everyone else...there's guys that go crazy up at 7000+ft...I just leave..Summit X has seen that in Lang.

yup, i saw it but not for long.... gotta know your limit.

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are all much of the same opinion with drinking on the trail but do not mind others drinking. This is pretty much what happens all the time until it goes to far and thats when crap hits the fan. I am a firm believer in none, on the mountain. But, I know that it is not going to happen. I spend the money on courses and equipment to ensure all the people in my group or riding close to me have the best possible chance in any situation to be rescued quickly without me being in a state of making bad decisions because on the mountain we do not have much time/if any to get second chances. This is why we all need to be of clear mind to help anyone and everyone. I do not want to have rumours that the most knowledgeable guy around at that moment was intoxicated while trying to help. Just my 0.02 Nothing more.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I do not disagee with your opinion.........

I am me and you are you....................

We are all much of the same opinion with drinking on the trail but do not mind others drinking. This is pretty much what happens all the time until it goes to far and thats when crap hits the fan. I am a firm believer in none, on the mountain. But, I know that it is not going to happen. I spend the money on courses and equipment to ensure all the people in my group or riding close to me have the best possible chance in any situation to be rescued quickly without me being in a state of making bad decisions because on the mountain we do not have much time/if any to get second chances. This is why we all need to be of clear mind to help anyone and everyone. I do not want to have rumours that the most knowledgeable guy around at that moment was intoxicated while trying to help. Just my 0.02 Nothing more.

Top Bottom