dragon crank noise

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I went riding and about halfway through the day i started hearing a bad rattle kinda knocking noise coming from the clutch side of my sled, so after we got home i took the primary off and found the weight bushings toast, so hopping i had a easy fix i threw in a new set and well the noise is still there. To rule out the clutch all together i took my brothers clutch and put it on mine and well the noise is still there, so i guess the clutch is acting like a mega phone for a crank noise.

Has any one seen and crank failures on these, i am kinda ruling out the top-end cause everything is brand new, sled had mnt tk fix kit just installed with new cylinders and everything. also if it is the crank a oem one is $1900, or is it worth getting rebuilt, or has anyone had any luck with aftermarket, recreation supply has them listed for $700.

Any help or insight would be great
thanks in advance.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was the clutch removed recently? Maybe when the top end was redone? Check the end play on your crank? Grab the clutch and push/pull towards the mag side to see if it the crank will move back and forth. It should not move!! I witnessed a mechanic having trouble removing the clutch on my 08 Dragon, so he hit the end of the clutch puller with a hammer to pop it off (big no no) and that broke a piece out of the crankcase housing that holds the crank end play in check. When I got my sled back there was a rattling noise coming from the clutch and that was the cause of it!!

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I went riding and about halfway through the day i started hearing a bad rattle kinda knocking noise coming from the clutch side of my sled, so after we got home i took the primary off and found the weight bushings toast, so hopping i had a easy fix i threw in a new set and well the noise is still there. To rule out the clutch all together i took my brothers clutch and put it on mine and well the noise is still there, so i guess the clutch is acting like a mega phone for a crank noise.

Has any one seen and crank failures on these, i am kinda ruling out the top-end cause everything is brand new, sled had mnt tk fix kit just installed with new cylinders and everything. also if it is the crank a oem one is $1900, or is it worth getting rebuilt, or has anyone had any luck with aftermarket, recreation supply has them listed for $700.

Any help or insight would be great
thanks in advance.

if its the crank get ahold of chris at parkland in stonyplain/sprucgrove.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
K will do maybe I will stop in there this week.

Sent from my S5 while I am slacking at work.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it turned out to be a bad rod bearing luckly it didnt let right go.

My question now is i ordered a remand crank from cvtech and the one i got has two bearings on the pto side of the crank, one kinda wide one and a small one on the inside. I tried to get a hold of cvtech with no response yet. hoping some one on here knows something, dont want to put this in and it fail right away.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a reman crank from cvtech once. It lasted 75 miles and snapped. They didn't want to warranty it because their tester showed the bearings had 1500 miles on them. So either their tester sucks or they are reusing old bearings. Either way I wouldnt buy anything from them.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a reman crank from cvtech once. It lasted 75 miles and snapped. They didn't want to warranty it because their tester showed the bearings had 1500 miles on them. So either their tester sucks or they are reusing old bearings. Either way I wouldnt buy anything from them.

They do reuse the bearing that's why I sent my crank to indy dan to put new bearing on the crank that come out of my machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So it turned out to be a bad rod bearing luckly it didnt let right go.

My question now is i ordered a remand crank from cvtech and the one i got has two bearings on the pto side of the crank, one kinda wide one and a small one on the inside. I tried to get a hold of cvtech with no response yet. hoping some one on here knows something, dont want to put this in and it fail right away.

The reason the reman crank come with 2 bearings instead of one big one is the big bearing is made for polaris and regular bearing shops can not get one that size since polaris owns it. it cost around $90 and is always on back order. Some say u might be better off with the 2 bearing set up as you have 3 rows of balls instead of 2 rows in the wide polaris bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well i am certain that everything is new on it so i am gonna hope for the best. It seams to fit in the case just fine. thanks for the info.

Top Bottom