Dodge Transmissions

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got home after a weekend of camping. Had to do a roadside fix on a transmission line again. This time it has cooked my transmission. Figured I would have to replace it after the first time running it dry and overheating it. (Wife was driving it that time). So I am wondering what a person should do to them. It is a 2006 dodge ram mega cab 2500 diesel automatic of course. I pull a 30 foot keystone raptor bumper pull toyhauler with it and a few smaller trailer for work. I want something that can handle the trailer so I'm hopefully not doing another transmission in the near future. Deep pan, upgraded torque converter, what else would be wise to put into it? Please Chevy and ford fans don't tell me to change brands cause it won't happen. Where is a good place to buy from also. Thanks Mark

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about Dodge trannys but I would call NADP in Edmonton they rebuild them full of aftermarket goodies, they will fill you in on the weak spots.

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fried the trans in my 2002 dodge 2500 diesel. I went with a NAPD transmission. Got it out of Edmonton. It was called the Heavy Hauler 450. Good for 450 hp. It came with a Suncoast TC. I beat the chit out of it and it never missed a beat. I would say my truck was putting out over 400 hp. The down side of it is they are pricey. Cost me about 5K. I never had to worry about it again apart from changing the oil and filter.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe DJ from Clutch and Grab Transmission can point you in the right direction, he is a site sponsor I believe.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I'd maybe put in a temp gauge so you can see what happening sure you can put in a 5k trans but all it takes is a $20 line to blow to toast it again

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Armor Inc. in Red Deer can hook you up with a better built transmission to hold your power, shift better, run cooler, etc. I know on the Dmax an aftermarket cooler has been useful in cooling the Allison but not sure if it's as big of an issue with the 48RE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seen 4 NADP trans go KABOOM in under 40,000 kms hauling trailer and mini hoe definitely a hit or miss tranny had another that was supposed to be the big 1000+ hp trans go BOOM in a truck with injectors and stage 1 turbo. personal opinion from seeing the manufacturing of these trans kits the best ones are ATS yes some people have heard stories or read stories about failure but what trans company offers you 5 year 500,000 mile warranty and pay for all labor and shipping fees that come with replacing a trans if for some reason it does blow up? NONE!!!! ATS offers this and offers the peace of mind that EVERY PART is built IN HOUSE no sending parts out to get made or machined all parts are built by ATS. They make several different packages to fit your needs but for most the stage 1 with 5 star converter, deep trans pan and modified valve body for towing is the best options for a mild upgrade.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest thing no matter what trans it is.

Transmissions are touchy things and can have issues no matter who or what does them.

sent from A UNKNOWN PLACE IN TEA LAND

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seen 4 NADP trans go KABOOM in under 40,000 kms hauling trailer and mini hoe definitely a hit or miss tranny had another that was supposed to be the big 1000+ hp trans go BOOM in a truck with injectors and stage 1 turbo. personal opinion from seeing the manufacturing of these trans kits the best ones are ATS yes some people have heard stories or read stories about failure but what trans company offers you 5 year 500,000 mile warranty and pay for all labor and shipping fees that come with replacing a trans if for some reason it does blow up? NONE!!!! ATS offers this and offers the peace of mind that EVERY PART is built IN HOUSE no sending parts out to get made or machined all parts are built by ATS. They make several different packages to fit your needs but for most the stage 1 with 5 star converter, deep trans pan and modified valve body for towing is the best options for a mild upgrade.

Ya. Enjoy that shipping bill sending the trans back to ATS. And the shipping for the replacement. Buddy of mine has been there and done that, never again he said. I ran purple parts in my trans. Also never again. Their supposed awesome warranty isn't so awesome when they don't honour it. Suncoast warranty is the same-YOU pay the shipping. They seem to leave that part out when they sell you the trans.
Another friend has had over 6 if not more NADP 68RFE's that blew up before he went to an Armor built 48RE that has worked flawlessly. I would definitely trust them to get it right.

Stay local. Support local. There is a guy in Balzac that builds an awesome trans as well but can't remember his name. Top notch work though. There are a few others as well. Hit up ABDiesels.com and ask around. Folks on there will steer you to the right people.

Last edited:

Too Many Toys

Reaction score
I know your not in the edmonton area, Pro Tech Transmissions in Edmonton. Rob Vincent (Owner)

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the gear centre,many locations in alberta,which ever store you call get them to talk to john in edmonton and get john to call you,they can build whaqtever you need,all units are dyno tested. biggest problem people do when installing a exchange trans is they do not flush out the cooler so contamination from the old and failed unit ends up in the rebuilt transmission

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya. Enjoy that shipping bill sending the trans back to ATS. And the shipping for the replacement. Buddy of mine has been there and done that, never again he said. I ran purple parts in my trans. Also never again. Their supposed awesome warranty isn't so awesome when they don't honour it. Suncoast warranty is the same-YOU pay the shipping. They seem to leave that part out when they sell you the trans.
Another friend has had over 6 if not more NADP 68RFE's that blew up before he went to an Armor built 48RE that has worked flawlessly. I would definitely trust them to get it right.

Stay local. Support local. There is a guy in Balzac that builds an awesome trans as well but can't remember his name. Top notch work though. There are a few others as well. Hit up ABDiesels.com and ask around. Folks on there will steer you to the right people.

When you buy the trans from an authorized ATS dealer ALL PARTS AND WARRANTY AND SHIPPING BACK IS COVERED! its there policy and have lived by it. We have yet to have a part that was not warrantied from ATS. ARMOR builds mean transmissions, our in house kits are proven kits but no one offers the warranty of ATS and is why we sell a ton of there products and only here good feedback on it.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who gave input. I got a tranny built from a guy out by strathmore who was a transmission shop owner for 20 years before retiring from owing his own shop and now does it as a hobby for something to do. It seems to work well so far. Thanks to DJ for willing to get me one done up ASAP but needed it sooner than he could have it done. I will contact DJ again as a friend needs one built also. Once again thanks to all.

Top Bottom