Dirty Crude???

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem is that you are comparing an unprecidented accident in the gulf of Mexico to standard operating procedures here in Alberta. Not exactly apples to apples. :rolleyes:

tailing ponds in the oil sands are a regular operating procedure. Both cases are some one taking a short cut to save money. The one in the Gulf has a much higher consequence. The oil spilling out into the ocean is an uncontrolled event where the oil sands incident, the oil was under control but the management was not.

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i see BP possibly going under with the cost of this disaster. they already have their lawyers in high gear spinning tall tales of how they are not responsible. brings back fond memories of a discussion with an honoured member of this site about how wonderful oil companies and how they look after there employees and the general public. this has the potential to be the biggest disaster of all time. valdez at least had an limited amount of oil, this is unlimited, until it is capped. it"s a wait and see as the weather has been good till this time.

isn"t BP wonderful.

BP will not go under for this incident. I could care less about BP and Fort Mac. I wish they all would close down.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
BP will not go under for this incident. I could care less about BP and Fort Mac. I wish they all would close down.

Well, you better hope that never happens, cause I dont care what you do for a living, in one way or another it is supported by the oil & gas industry. So unless you are independently wealthy, thats a pretty dumb statement...

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a new Power Plant for my sled :confused: I sure hope the thing still makes 180hp :eek:

nope max 1 sumx54 hp, max speed maybe 3 to 5 mph down hill if reall lucky. uphill good luck.

unless there is a viable alternative to oil and gas, "overbore" may be walking, his thought process may be out of wack. i see more regulations though.

bigdaddy35

Reaction score

For real?

There are not very many jobs in this province that aren't tied to the oil/gas industry in some way. Without this industry, Alberta would be like...the maritimes when the fishing industry died. Fun times for sure. Why do you think Stelmach quietly adjusted the royalties recently? Didn't hear the opposition making much noise about it did you? Hmmm guess opposition didn't want to be the party responsible for higher unemployment.

How many jobs outside of Alberta are supported by the oil/gas industry here? Lumber in BC to build the houses that shelter those working here, steel in Ontario for all the structures, piping etc needed? Auto instustry for all the trucks/cars needed here?

How about the equalization payments Alberta pays to the other provinces? Without the oil/gas industry, these payments would stop and all those social services available to the country would cease to exist in a big hurry. Sure, sounds nice to keep our $ here in Alberta, but at what cost?

Yes, the industry has an environmental impact and I'm sure there's room to improve, but what do you think will happen to our society if the lights go out and the heat gets shut of? Won't take long for things to unravel. Yes, the damage of the Gulf spill is terrible, but near sighted knee jerk solutions aren't the answer. Too many unintended consequences. Sorry for the rant.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bigdaddy couldn't have said it better. My point of this thread is not to say that all oil and gas exploration should be shut down. But rather to point out to the tree huggers that any oils exploration has an impact on the environment. Don't knock our crude saying that is is devastating the environment until you closely look at what your crude is doing to the environment

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Good points Pipes and I will add that if the average joe, or tree hugger would take the time to do any REAL research, the industry as a whole has come leaps and bounds (much to our dismay at times) over the past years. The days of tugging rigs in and out with Cats is almost non-existent. Same goes for pipeline work, very seldom are we even allowed to work in the mud for fear of damaging shallow topsoil and the fears of admixing.

I will be the first one to complain that some of these rules have gone overboard, but they carry with them the other rules and regulations that do make sense...

At least once a month I do however long for the good ole days...

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
....Same goes for pipeline work, very seldom are we even allowed to work in the mud for fear of damaging shallow topsoil and the fears of admixing.....

Yeah, but it's funny that it only applies the oil patch. Environmentalists scream about the degradation of topsoil from oilfield activities, but everyday on my way to work, I drive by about 15 massive stockpiles of it in new residential developments. Developers admix the piss out of it when stripping it, they don't care about the quality. Then they stockpile it in massive stockpiles without any cover or vegetation, where it is very susceptible to wind erosion (the big billowing clouds of topsoil being blown to Sask are easily noticed on any windy day). Also, the lack of cover allows the soil to wash into the storm drains and eventually into the rivers and streams every time it rains. Heavy rain events cause massive losses of soil via water erosion. The city's solution is to put up little donuts around the storm drains, a band-aid solution at best, instead of solving the issue and making the developers seed or cover the stockpiles. I'd rather not talk about what all that sediment in the river is doing to downstream water quality.

Standard oilfield practice is to stockpile it in low domes and immediately get vegetation to grow on it, preventing wind and water erosion. We're the bad guys though. :rolleyes:

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
The industry with the largest target painted for the environmentalists is oil/gas. Like modman pointed out, many other industries contribute to the environmental challenges, but the activists don't seem to say much. You don't hear about the coal fired steel plants spewing the polution and contributing to acid rain in the east, or what about the clear-cut logging in quebec?

Is it me, or do environmentalists openly target industries with the deepest pockets?

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't hear about the coal fired steel plants spewing the polution and contributing to acid rain in the east

We have all heard about acid rain and dirty coal burning plants spewing toxic crap out their stacks and it's gross, right ?

Guess what, 50% of Alberta's electricity is from coal fired plants.

It surprised me, with all the natural gas around, they burn coal.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have all heard about acid rain and dirty coal burning plants spewing toxic crap out their stacks and it's gross, right ?

have known that for years, coal is cheaper.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i like the part that the fellas were too drunk to drive home from a golf tourny. made it sound like they killed someone

who doesnt like to go on a bender every now and then?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i like the part that the fellas were too drunk to drive home from a golf tourny. made it sound like they killed someone

who doesnt like to go on a bender every now and then?
And written by a Kennedy yet. BAWAHAHAHA. "Hello, Pot? Ya, this is Kettle calling..."

burndown1

Reaction score
woke up on the wrong side of the bed, a oil spill any where in the world is a bad deal, cheers burndown,:beer::beer::beer:!!!

I will take that beer. News this morn says the light crude is starting to evaporate. When this is over the gulf will be in great shape. No sleep loss here.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put the crack pipe down and breath some fresh air there buddy. good luck with that thought.

bigdaddy35

Reaction score

But, the quetion remains why are the enviro warriors not targeting coal buring plants the same as the oil/gas? How many recent media publications are talking about acid rain or coal buring? It's all about oilsands and ducks...

Top Bottom