Different Boots - Lacing System

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last pair of boots I bought was over 10 years ago. They were the Renegade 3 boots from RUoutside. Why I liked them - They had a awesome tie and secure system.

The laces all went through closed circles and then through a clamp at the top so it was easy to tighten or loosen. They also had a couple of buckles that really make a secure fit so your boot didn't get all loose during the day. The only issue with them really was that I think they were a pretty big boot, I mean I have big feet but the boot felt really big.

So I am looking for a new pair of boots but I would really like a nice lace system or maybe a buckle type system like I had with the old pair. RUoutside doesn't seem to make them anymore.

All I have found is HMK and maybe Baffin that have some sort of spinning tightening system at least from the pictures on the websites.

Hopefully you know what I mean. Anyone have recommendations on a good boot? I might be asking too much for fancy lacing system.

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am somewhat worried about just how stiff the HMKs appear to be more like a snowboard boot than what I am used too.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last pair of boots I bought was over 10 years ago. They were the Renegade 3 boots from RUoutside. Why I liked them - They had a awesome tie and secure system.

The laces all went through closed circles and then through a clamp at the top so it was easy to tighten or loosen. They also had a couple of buckles that really make a secure fit so your boot didn't get all loose during the day. The only issue with them really was that I think they were a pretty big boot, I mean I have big feet but the boot felt really big.

So I am looking for a new pair of boots but I would really like a nice lace system or maybe a buckle type system like I had with the old pair. RUoutside doesn't seem to make them anymore.

All I have found is HMK and maybe Baffin that have some sort of spinning tightening system at least from the pictures on the websites.

Hopefully you know what I mean. Anyone have recommendations on a good boot? I might be asking too much for fancy lacing system.
love the hmk lace system but my Motorfist boots feel more comfy, I got up to my knee in the water with a mishap last weekend and it didn't ruin my day, big fan of my Motorfist gear but they have conventional laces, be the only thing I would change although I did ride with two guys who had problems with the hmk quick lace system last season(warranty covered though) if you can deal with the conventional laces I would go Motorfist stompers all the way

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride Klim boots, so I can't comment on the boot, but I have experience with the BOA system. It's a pretty good system that works really well, and is so fast. It makes for quick easy adjustments, even with gloves on. There are a couple downfalls to the system, but HMK seems to have those covered already. The zonal lacing system lets you have different tensions in the upper and lower sections, and they look to have some good covers for the dials, because if they hit a running board and release, the boot will undo all the way. I've had some awesome premature ejection from wakeboard bindings that way.

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
love the hmk lace system but my Motorfist boots feel more comfy, I got up to my knee in the water with a mishap last weekend and it didn't ruin my day, big fan of my Motorfist gear but they have conventional laces, be the only thing I would change although I did ride with two guys who had problems with the hmk quick lace system last season(warranty covered though) if you can deal with the conventional laces I would go Motorfist stompers all the way

Do the motorfists not have removable liners? I don't think its a big deal for warmth I'm just thinking after a seasons worth of riding it is usually a decent idea to give those things a washing.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the motorfists not have removable liners? I don't think its a big deal for warmth I'm just thinking after a seasons worth of riding it is usually a decent idea to give those things a washing.
I've actually never thought of it, they are washable boots and they have removable inner soles, bring up a good point there, my klim boots the last two seasons were the same and I never cleaned them just the inner soles and never had any noticeable smell and I sweat like a whore in church, maybe the gore tex klim uses and the e vent that Motorfist uses curbs the issue with the wicking technology, I only get 1500-2000km a year of riding in as well though, the stompers also have a replaceable sole and the Motorfist warranty is the best in the business

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy bought a pair of 'doo boots with some kind of lacing setup where you just pull on a tab for each side, and the tabs and slack tuck into the tongue. ballistic or something they were called? removeable liners, but looked a lot like a snoboard boot. I have lace up HMK

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy bought a pair of 'doo boots with some kind of lacing setup where you just pull on a tab for each side, and the tabs and slack tuck into the tongue. ballistic or something they were called? removeable liners, but looked a lot like a snoboard boot. I have lace up HMK
That sounds a lot like Burton's Speed Zone lacing system. Burton could be a good way to look as well. They have lots of boots with various lacing systems, and soft, mid and stiff flex patterns, so you could find one that works for you. Cost a lot more though.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought burton motos with the speed zone lacing, soft flex easy to walk in and super easy to take on an off, very warm as well

Top Bottom