descent quality shovel /saw

mountainhunter

Reaction score
we have'nt been having very good luck with our sos saws that come in the shovel handle .and not being able to replace just the blade is expensive .tried a gerber folding saw with the same results. and the colder it is the easier they break ,not much for support up in the t part of the handle . any ideas ?

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a separate saw and shovel. The saws in shovel handles are really meant as a snow saw, not for tackling timber. I carry an 8inch folding saw that is great for cutting branches and small trees that I may be hooked on, and the BCA Dozer Shovel. This shovel is great to moving lots of snow fast with minimal effort.

Last edited:

zed899

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BCA makes a bunch of great options. The teeth on the saw are aggressive enough for branches and stuff.

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my BCA shovel and found a great folding saw made by Gerber, seem to use it fairly often :p , seems to cut lots better than a few others Ive tried.

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a Polaris shovel with the saw in the handle. (I know, I know, brand baised tard) but I have cut down some pretty thick trees with it an still haven't snapped the blade after 4 years of logging

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Presently, I have a Gerber machette/saw from Wholesale Sports, attached to the tunnel. Nice and neat and very functional. i used to use the cheapO Coleman one, as they were cheap and functional, but they only lasted a season and were dull. This way, I don't have to take off my avy pack if I am stuck in a dangerous place to get the saw out.

One day, when you need it the most, the saw from the shovel handle will snap as they are mostly designed for making snow blocks for compression tests.

IMG_1966.JPG

Last edited:

DTH

Reaction score
Pull while cutting do not push or you'll break them every time.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol the saw in a shovel handle is for cutting snow blocks and doing visual test on the snow pack ... its not for cutting trees lol oh some people lol

Really? My shovel/saw has a SAWzALL wood blade in it. Haven't broken it yet cutting all kinds of trees and if it does it's cheap to replace. Why would you use a wood blade on snow?

Zacs Avy Crew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com
zacs tracks has shovels and not at to bad a price.

Our Voile T-Handle Shovels have a saw in the end with a sawsazle blade in it and you can pop the roll pin and replace it fairly easily. They are very popular and we have currently sold out of them. The other thought is to have your saw seperate so you aren't pulling out your safety shovel when you need to cut something down. I don't have the answer for that thought but I like the idea of having two and having the shovel saw just as a back up.

Weirboondocking

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The can saw is small and cuts supper fast. I need to get a new one, mine is getting on for 10 years old, but it still cut good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom