Deciding on a sled.

YoungBuck

Reaction score
Looking into buying a sled

either a 2005 M7 with a 162" camoplast.

or a 2005 Summit 600H.O. SDI with a 144"

Ive gone out with friends and ridden m7s before but am unsure if its a good starter sled... Plus a don't wanna be forking out loads of cash fixing it all the time. but i dont want a sled that i will be boreed of in a year either... thanks for your help.

martushev800

Reaction score
I would say get the M7. I personally ride a. 800 Summint 154'' But ive got a buddy with the M7 153'' and a family friend with the 600 and in the long run for the money spent i believe you would be happier with an M7.Its also a good starter sled.Easy to handle so you shouldnt have any major issues.As for it beaking down i couldnt say cuz my buddy hasnt had his long enough to have issues with it/It seems they are pretty solid sleds though

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And ive been hearing the Rev is the best sled out there. Im confused now.

not saying the rev is bad,saying the m7 will perform better than the 600 Doo..If it was a Summit Rev 800 then be a different story but it's not it's a 600 ..Personally i feel the 600 would be underpowered and would want something bigger...IMO

rwjk0

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a doo rider aswell, my opion on this matter is: when you get the ich for more power, you will be stuck with a 600 sdi, but with the M7 there are all kinds of proven bigbore kits for Arctic Cat.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well, to play devils advocate here, seems everyone says m7, but i think that the 600 sdi is a awesome sled. yes, the m7 will go thru more powder with the 162 vs the 144(remember its by 16" not 15"), but the sdi is a solid sled. i have one almost the same as the sdi your looking at and it has caused me no problems since i bought it, with the exception of a few blown belts until we fixed that problem. i would think that as starter sleds go, the sdi is the way to go. just my opinion i guess.:beer::d

freehand

Reaction score
I rode my M7 it has M8 piston kit done to it I rode with a friend who rides a 2010 xp 162 track he is about 160lbs I'm 240lbs my sled has a 153 camo track I could go every where the xp went and then some and that was not even using the nitrious. I've been riding for two winters and I'm in my 50"s so I'm slill a rookie.. my sled is 420lbs I think that helps.?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy with a 600 rev and NO one believes him after he stops at the bottom,,, its mostly rider unless you want straight up in the deep then HP is your friend

both are good choices IMO,,,, the M chassis is easier to sidehill and throw around,,, tuff call for sure,, both sleds are easy to get parts for

I cant even pick my self lol,,,,

will you jump and drop etc??? how tall are you??

if you want to jump etc and u r short get the doo,,,, not saying you cant hit the m7 but shorter better for air.

come on snow

YoungBuck

Reaction score
Thanks guys!
Im 5'5" tall.
I think im going to go with an M7 unless or witch ever I find a better deal on.
thanks alot guys!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why don't you tell us what exactly you want from a sled, then maybe you could get some replies that actually hold some vaule.

You are looking at two completely different sleds, a mountain sled, with a 162" track, and a baby summit with the 144".

Sure lots of people in the past ran short track sleds in the mountains, and got the job done, but now days, if you want to play in the steep and deep, you go 154 or longer. If you stick to trails, do some boondocking, a 144 is great.

You are 5'5, so what 150-165lbs? A 144 isn't going to be the best sled for you in deep powder.

Do you ride in areas that you might find yourself wishing you had more power than you can get from a 600? or even the 700? Lots of deals around on 800HO Summits with 151 tracks. Really its the best of both worlds.

good luck

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the a M7 162 for my girlfriend as a starter sled and she loves it! Now that shes better on it that sled will take her or me anywere that we want to go. And had it for a year and put 1000+ miles on it and never had a repare.

YoungBuck

Reaction score
i will be riding in the mountains doing climbs and deep powder. around cranbrook we get quite a bit of snow in the mountains.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know exactly the areas you're going to be riding. Right where my avatar pic is. The tree wasn't the sleds fault! Get the M7. Easier to throw around, more power, and bullet proof. I love mine. Lotsa days I'd rather ride it than my M1000!

Also remember we don't have a Skidoo dealer any more so your going out of town for parts.

Come on out and join the club. 1st and 3rd Wednesdays every month 7:00pm at the Days Inn! :d

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup.

Also, make sure you put scratchers on it if it doesn't already have 'em. Those groomed trails in Lumberton will get 'er pretty hot getting to the good stuff.

The Arborist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a 07 600 sdi, in the last three seasons we have put on over 8000km on it and I have only had to doo about $300.00 in repairs. The 600 sdi's are great sleds, we have a riding buddy that has a 06 600 with over 11,000km. The 06 has had a new top end and ours is due for one now, but you can get the parts for under $500 or get somebody to doo it for you for under a grand.
Just some info I run a 06 800x, in the same amount of time/milage I have put in over $7000.00 in repairs and mods. The 600 uses a lot less fuel/oil it always starts on the second pull, we have never had a power issue with this sled, it may be a 600 but it is totaly dialed in and seems to always be ready for more.

Somebody mentioned that they ride with a 600 sdi and people don't belive that it truly is a 600. I have the same story as I have a hard time trying to keep up with my buddy on his high milage 06 600sdi.

Ohh by the way we will probably be selling ours this year. We are in Radium, if interested pm Taminator for details and pics. Will sell with or with out a fresh top end, holding out on building it as most peeps would like to get "their guy" to doo the work.

Top Bottom