WTB 2002 Summit mod sled...NEED INPUT

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
Alright gents, think the quad should be gone today and Im thinkin about getting a sled.

Its a toss for me at this point;

1st- 2002 Summit mod
150hp
Lots of powder coat
1800kms approx
2"-144"
Built by Peak Performance
$3200

2nd-1999 Summit 670
1 3/4"-136"
ALL New motor 1000 kms(bored)
5600km on sled
Looks to be in good shape
Comes with non running ZR440
$4000

Both prices are not negotiated at all so there could be room.
I want a sled that is going to be less problemactic,if there is such a thing now-a-days. Mostly be ditch bangin,fields, coulees, and possible mountain trip.

Im leaning towards mod sled but Im a little leary, are these sleds not basically same as a purpose built drag car, read one trick pony.

Help me out here I need the good and bad.

Thanks in advance:beer:

Last edited:

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the 2002 Summit is an 800, I would lean that way. If it is a 700, I would pass on it. Both machines are overpriced. The 670 is a very reliable sled, but crank may be near the end of it's life @ 5600 km (you stated that it was just a top end rebuild). If it were me, I'd keep looking...

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
I guess I wrote that wierd as far as I know ENTIRE 670 was rebuilt.

I have not harresed the owners much yet as I don't like being harrassed that much when Im getting FEELER questions.

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah agreed, 5600 km's on the crank is starting to get into the danger zone. I would lean towards the mod, although the word 'mod' can often mean 'standing around at the base of a bowl fixing while your buddies are having fun'. I might be inclined to keep looking around as you could get into a 04 and up REV for around 4 - 4500, and they are a way better riding sled than the ZX. I know I have had both.

3200 is not a totally unreasonable price for the 02. The 670 is way way to high, even if it comes with another non working sled.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been hunting for one as well, just something older to get me through the season till I purchase another new one for next season. BUT so far I may just hold off....

Arctic_Ragtop

Reaction score
I have been through 5-6 ZX's in the past 4 years (I tend to buy and sell alot). This year I decided to go look at something new and bought a 2013 XM (never even looked at a new sled before) and I LOVE it... I suggest buying something new or newer .. I loved the old ZX's until I jumped on this thing...it isnt even comparable. Do yourself a favor and spend the $4000 towards a new one instead of some old junk that is going to leave you wondering when it will blow up. These new XMs are insane!!!

jpgmtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.payntonperformance.com
I am still the proud owner of a 2002 ZX Summit Highmark 800, with who knows how many hard mountain miles on it. It was modded right from new, stripped down and lightweight everything. It's on it's 4th drive chain and the 2nd chaincase. It's on its 2nd bottom end with the 4th top end. I have to rebuild the recoil every season. The exhaust has been welded up about 3 times. The all aluminum suspension has been rebuilt a couple of times, all new shocks, and I have to carry spare radius rods with me. It needs 100LL fuel. Everything needs a check over every time I go out. I love that old sled and will not part with it - it's a bit of a family heirloom and has seen more terrain than most mountain riders will ever see. But beware that you are buying yourself a constant project that WILL bleed you of thousands of dollars every season if that's all you run!!!

My main sled now is a brand-new 2012 Summit SP with some choice mods. It's still under warranty. I make sure it has pump premium in the fuel tank and Ski-Doo synthetic oil in the oil tank. I pull the cord, it starts, and I run it day in, day out, and never turn a wrench on it (other than the quick-clickers, or adjusting the suspension.)

If I was to add up all that the old ZX cost me in the last 3 years, it would add up to the purchase price of a new sled. It is now semi-retired as my backup sled that I pull out once in a while for kicks. My advice to you is, if you want a project, buy the mod. If you want a fun, reliable sled, keep your down payment and buy a new or new-ish Summit XP or XM and go play!

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hello I have a 2003 zx summit mod 827 dropped and rolled chain case with 159 camoplast extreme and mountian magic skid, polaris primary, team secondary with mountain magic helix, simmon skis,light weight hood and light weight seat, all powder coated red and black. 1100km on chassis and 300km on motor. 4900.00 boo. P.S Will out climb and handle any stock 2011 and older sled

Last edited:
Top Bottom