Cuba

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I worked in Cuba for the past few years on and off. Spend 40 some days there last year. I love the culture and the people.

The resorts are... resorts. If you really want to have a great time on any vacation rent a vehicle and go to local pubs, restaurants and stores.

The people are fantastic. As usual you have locals asking for food, clothes, etc from you.. But if you find an english speaking student you realize fast that all they want is a chance to be someone in the world and they typically aren't given an opportunity.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have to work 2 full years to be able to afford say a pair of jeans, they need everything. The basics are great to take ...clothing, soap, tooth paste ...just about anything, they need it. 50 years of sanctions have taken there toll. Bring in 3 suitcases take home one. Rent a vehical? hell when i was there you where lucky to rent a moped

Last edited:

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have to work 2 full years to be able to afford say a pair of jeans, they need everything. The basics are great to take ...clothing, soap, tooth paste ...just about anything, they need it. 50 years of sanctions have taken there toll. Bring in 3 suitcases take home one. Rent a vehical? hell when i was there you where lucky to rent a moped

To bring it into perspective.. a roughneck makes 50 cents per day there, driller and company man make 1 dollar. Engineers also 1 dollar a day

The rental vehicles are nothing special, new Kias but they get the job done

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok this question is for all who been there

Would you go back? and where?

We are working out details for our feb vacay and not sure where and varadaro is on the list

been there the last 4 years and going back in March! any resort is ok you have to realize that a 5 star in Cuba is about 2.5 star in Mexico. We don't mind this because the people are so friendly and accomodating. They take care of you wither you are tipping or not ( I tip ) There are two places you gotta go while in Varadero. Lai Lai is a chinese restaurant. better than any place in Edmonton area. Massive portions and beautiful bech view from dining room. The second is Le Barbacoa this is a steak house. rediculously delicious steak for super cheap prices and its not just good for Cuban food, its as good as ive had at any place in Edmonton ( Keg/Sawmill not included )
The catamaran tour is great too. they take you to a private island and the food and scenery is awesome. I also loved the jeep tour. we visited a banana /suger cane farm. got to taste the special little bananas that only Cubans eat, had a traditional Cuban meal, snorkling at a coral reef and swim/dive in a cave that has 22m deep water. They had horseback riding too!

Last edited:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been to Cuba many times. Out first couple times we did Varadero. Since then we have started going to more isolated areas with resorts. The people get more and more amazing and you can find beaches considered the best in the world. Our favourite place in the world to travel to!

Over all those trips I have determined that the best cigars are the local cigars called Reloba. Not sold to tourists usually so you need someone local to buy them for you or venture off into the towns and find a locals store. They are like 1 Cuban Peso for a bundle (cheap, cheap, cheap). Last trip I asked a local fellow if he would buy me a pack. Gave him equivalent of $10Cdn to bring me a 25 pack of the Reloba. It was risky, but they are such honest good people he brought me the cigars and my change a day later. No, I did not take the change back. He was ecstatic. Other good cigars are the Trinidads. Just be careful trying to bring back the Reoloba's. Not sure it's OK with the officials at the airport. I bring them back in my suitcase and have not had an issue. If they take them, oh well. I know they will look for seals on the boxes of Cohibas, Trinidads, Cristos etc.

Best rum in my opinion is the Santiago Dark. Locals will tell you so as well. Legendario is pretty good.

Can't wait to go back.

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I probably did a lot of that crap too, just don't remember...I love all inclusive... and even off the resort in most places beer & drinks were only 1CUC

been there the last 4 years and going back in March! any resort is ok you have to realize that a 5 star in Cuba is about 2.5 star in Mexico. We don't mind this because the people are so friendly and accomodating. They take care of you wither you are tipping or not ( I tip ) There are two places you gotta go while in Varadero. Lai Lai is a chinese restaurant. better than any place in Edmonton area. Massive portions and beautiful bech view from dining room. The second is Le Barbacoa this is a steak house. rediculously delicious steak for super cheap prices and its not just good for Cuban food, its as good as ive had at any place in Edmonton ( Keg/Sawmill not included )
The catamaran tour is great too. they take you to a private island and the food and scenery is awesome. I also loved the jeep tour. we visited a banana /suger cane farm. got to taste the special little bananas that only Cubans eat, had a traditional Cuban meal, snorkling at a coral reef and swim/dive in a cave that has 22m deep water. They had horseback riding too!

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Ok this question is for all who been there

Would you go back? and where?

We are working out details for our feb vacay and not sure where and varadaro is on the list

Tryp Peninsula Varadero - All-inclusive Resort Reviews, Deals - Varadero, Cuba - TripAdvisor is where we went last February for 7 days. Going for 10 days next year with the kids and grand daughter. I'd stay there again but this one is also on the table Iberostar Laguna Azul - Hotel Reviews, Deals - Varadero, Cuba - TripAdvisor. We went through AMA Vacations and Transat Air. For a first time everything went really well from start to finish :)

Last edited:

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I wouldn't go back. I had a good time but not for me. But I had to go and check it out for myself

Thats where i'm at

And that's just the thing. It's not for everyone, you just have to find out for yourself. Our first real vacation outside of Canada was a wedding in Hawaii. Honolulu and Maui were so beautiful I was glad I went. We will go back one day soon but it's more expensive. Vegas once for a buddies 40th. Will go back here again and spend more time. Then the Cuba trip. We were very apprehensive about this. Read piles of reviews to the point my head was spinning. Said to hell with it and booked the trip. It was a good decision.

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BTW if anyone is going it would be worth while to spend a night in Havana.. hotel should be around 80 bucks and just walking around the city is amazing. I have tons of pics if you want to get a feel of the city and will post if there is interest

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
We did an afternoon/evening in Havana as part of our Tropicana tour, verry cool sights to see. I had a drink in Hemmingways Bar, the street art and architecture is awesome. My only complaint with Havana was the Beggers, something you did not see in Veradaro yet in Havana there were 4 on every corner and 200 in the central park and "white house" area... It was definitly something to see and I don't regret it, but I won't go back to Havana....Veradaro yes....

BTW if anyone is going it would be worth while to spend a night in Havana.. hotel should be around 80 bucks and just walking around the city is amazing. I have tons of pics if you want to get a feel of the city and will post if there is interest

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
We did an afternoon/evening in Havana as part of our Tropicana tour, verry cool sights to see. I had a drink in Hemmingways Bar, the street art and architecture is awesome. My only complaint with Havana was the Beggers, something you did not see in Veradaro yet in Havana there were 4 on every corner and 200 in the central park and "white house" area... It was definitly something to see and I don't regret it, but I won't go back to Havana....Veradaro yes....

Thats what I heard about the beggers and i was told the tourists are encouaging it by walking down the street passing stuff out. Tour agent told us it is ok to pass out stuff but try to keep it to hotel staff, taxi drivers, servers, etc if walk down the street like a mac daddy throwing stuff out they are going to constantly hound all the tourist figuring they all have money and stuff to give them

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You just have to be super strict with the "bums". They aren't really bums they just know you have a ton more than what they will ever have because there are many Canadian's working down there that live the high life..

Here are some pics from my travels there

Hotel Nationel
DSC00650.jpg

Cuban Crane Moving our C-can
IMG_1205.jpg

You mean this art at Hemmingways (beautiful place but expensive drinks for Cuba)
DSC00721.jpg

Ocean side with the rental
IMG_1196.jpg

Co-worker playing soccer with the locals
IMG_1173.jpg

View from the rig floor
IMG_1117.jpg

Hotel Presidente View
IMG_1031.jpg

Best restaurant near Jibacoa
IMG_1206.jpg

Our "Shop" is in Santa Marta. There are so many great little towns around Varedero like that one and Cardenas to visit inside the Varedero tool booth area.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Some of our pics from last year :) Me looking at Staple, lol. Buffet area at our resort. Old down town Havanna. The beach at the resort. My cigar take.

Attachments

• cuba 2012 (ds ip) 119.jpg
    cuba 2012 (ds ip) 119.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 45
  • cuba 2012 (ds ip) 031.jpg
    cuba 2012 (ds ip) 031.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 46
  • cuba 2012 (ds ip) 066.jpg
    cuba 2012 (ds ip) 066.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 48
  • cuba 2012 (ds ip) 034.jpg
    cuba 2012 (ds ip) 034.jpg