Cuba

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cohiba's are the top cigar brand from Cuba followed by either monticristo or Romeo and Juliet
they are the top of the brand pyramid in the cigar factory in Havana

I like the Cohiba roubusto they at short and fat

We bought ours from a bartender at the resort we stayed at and they were real I was offereed 300 per box from the local cigar shop here in red deer for them (cohiba esplendios)

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went on the cigar factor tour too(not worth it). The cigars are fresh there, but not cheaper by no means. Barcardies was a company from cuba (according to the tour guide) . Tour guides are the highest educated people on cuba, they are full of great info. I got mauled in havana handing out stuff, about 50 people litterly ripped everything right off me, my wife took of running the other way. But don't get me wrong cuba is a very safe place. We doubled on a moped all the way to cardenas, 4 lane freeway all the way there, passed 4 vehicals in 1hr. My goodness what a place that is..it is a no tourist area.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a pile of websites that will tell you. The best way is to cut it open. But you destroy it doing so. Only good if you have a case of them. The video I watched was for cohibas. Showed what to look for on the wrapper and box then they cut one open. The first few leaves look good then the inside was all crap leaves and junk. Pretty scary what you could be smoking.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you know if they are real or fake?

That is why you buy from the factories or the better cigar stores, the Plaza America in Varadero has a good cigar store in it. I don't think it's worth the risk buying from someplace or somebody other than one of these. You spend a lot of money getting to that point it's not worth the risk of bringing home fakes, just my 2 cents.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
That is why you buy from the factories or the better cigar stores, the Plaza America in Varadero has a good cigar store in it. I don't think it's worth the risk buying from someplace or somebody other than one of these. You spend a lot of money getting to that point it's not worth the risk of bringing home fakes, just my 2 cents.

I was in that cigar shop. They had a very large selection. Our gift shop at the resort also had a wide selection of cigars at a reasonable price.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I took mine to the cigar shop in the resort and compared them to the real ones in there, even on the good fakes you will notice small inconsistancies such as replaced or non-current seals on the cases, reminents of previously removed and replaced bands. I did quite a bit of research online before I went so I was up to speed on what to look for.

As far as novelties that are sought after in cuba, take extra "bubba" mugs from canadian tire, you can trade them for just about anything, I had staff at the resort trying to outbid one another for ours at the end of our stay. Also at the dollar store you can get those little light up LED canada flag pins, I took 10 and wished I had taken 50...

We took a whole suitcase filled with give-aways and barter stuff (hair clips, pantyhose, nail polish, fishing supplies, werthers candy, canada novelties etc) and used the same suitcase on our return to pack our souviners, be careful buying anything made of wood, shortly after returning to canada they will start to split as we are no where near as humid as thier climate.[

QUOTE=Snowdin;1542772]How do you know if they are real or fake?[/QUOTE]

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we took a bunch of the free molson canadian t shirts and a big bag of base balls for the kids

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Ok this question is for all who been there

Would you go back? and where?

We are working out details for our feb vacay and not sure where and varadaro is on the list

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What Bogger said. We've been all over the Caribbean and Cuba is my fave for all the reasons Bogger laid out. I would go back to Varadero, but wouldn't mind seeing some more of the island. Went to Havana and once was enough for me.

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went last April, adults only resort in Veradero. Would definately go back, most of the food was really good ( stay away from the beef ) and the people really happy to see Canadians. When the Soviet Union pulled out, Canada was just starting to send tourists, they remember that and are grateful.
Just rememember, it is a 3rd world country, and what is rated as 5 star here is 4 star there. Neat thing, Cuba and North Korea are the only places in the world you can't buy a Coke.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go back. I had a good time but not for me. But I had to go and check it out for myself

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neat thing, Cuba and North Korea are the only places in the world you can't buy a Coke.
We bought coca cola when we were in havanna right by the old cathedral in old havanna it was dam expensive though brought in from Mexico

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a coke in Havana too. Had a bunch of people ask me where I got it as they were drinking some goofy brand lol

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took mine to the cigar shop in the resort and compared them to the real ones in there, even on the good fakes you will notice small inconsistancies such as replaced or non-current seals on the cases, reminents of previously removed and replaced bands. I did quite a bit of research online before I went so I was up to speed on what to look for.

As far as novelties that are sought after in cuba, take extra "bubba" mugs from canadian tire, you can trade them for just about anything, I had staff at the resort trying to outbid one another for ours at the end of our stay. Also at the dollar store you can get those little light up LED canada flag pins, I took 10 and wished I had taken 50...

We took a whole suitcase filled with give-aways and barter stuff (hair clips, pantyhose, nail polish, fishing supplies, werthers candy, canada novelties etc) and used the same suitcase on our return to pack our souviners, be careful buying anything made of wood, shortly after returning to canada they will start to split as we are no where near as humid as thier climate.[

QUOTE=Snowdin;1542772]How do you know if they are real or fake?
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the list of goodies to take. I don't know what a "bubba" mug is. When you say you trade it for stuff do you mean like souvenirs? I don't know if I want to trade anything I think I would just like to give stuff to the folks.

Top Bottom