Crowsnest Snow conditions Nov22/11

Maclintock

Reaction score
Yesterday we did our initial tour of the area, after hearing of conditions from 3-7 feet of snow ( Yeah Right)

Maclintock

Reaction score
My computer sucks!!!!! Sorry about that.

Left from the ski hill in Blairmore and did the hugest loop to York, South Cabin, Lost, Macdonald, Gardner and back.
Rivers and creeks are not frozen ( snow covered), so be very careful. Ice that was apparent was not thick and dangerous.
Roads, and Quad / sled trails are good with pretty much 2 1/2 feet -3 feet everywhere ( The odd area of 3 1/2 to just under 4, but not too often)
Going off trails is an adventure and not good at all especially with the non frozen creeks and rocks and snags. This may change as it is 30 below this AM, but their is a lot of fast moving water due to the snows earlier and melt before this last storm.
Most snow is back towards Castle for sure/Macdonald/Gardner.
We definately need the snow to pancake with some warmer temps and then snow again, and we will be really good. ( Fri supposed to be -3).
The wind is supposed to pick up on Wed night and if really blows it might be ugly.
I talked to some guys who said they were up in Barnes and then the rolling hills on the weekend. They said it was amazing with 5-6 feet. Their reports were quite bogus last year so who knows. I was up at Barnes at the start of the year
last year ( Probably 1 of the 1st) and it was 4-5 feet and we got stuck a WHOLE BUNCH.
I talked to a friend who has been up at tent as well and he said their are areas out to the corbin road that are 3-4 with the odd 5 from drift..

So I would really like to hear what Fernie Snow has to say.
In all honesty I would be hesitant to ride off trails at this point in the South Pass region. Trails are fine, but it is pretty Sketchy with the creeks and Rivers not frozen.
The Groomer is supposed to be out after Dec 1 when it warms up a bit, but after yesterdy, their is no way you can make snow bridges over creeks, until they freeze up. So who knows if they will get out until it freezes or we get more snow.
Good thing for Bridges for sure.
Be careful out their.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My computer sucks!!!!! Sorry about that.

Left from the ski hill in Blairmore and did the hugest loop to York, South Cabin, Lost, Macdonald, Gardner and back.
Rivers and creeks are not frozen ( snow covered), so be very careful. Ice that was apparent was not thick and dangerous.
Roads, and Quad / sled trails are good with pretty much 2 1/2 feet -3 feet everywhere ( The odd area of 3 1/2 to just under 4, but not too often)
Going off trails is an adventure and not good at all especially with the non frozen creeks and rocks and snags. This may change as it is 30 below this AM, but their is a lot of fast moving water due to the snows earlier and melt before this last storm.
Most snow is back towards Castle for sure/Macdonald/Gardner.
We definately need the snow to pancake with some warmer temps and then snow again, and we will be really good. ( Fri supposed to be -3).
The wind is supposed to pick up on Wed night and if really blows it might be ugly.
I talked to some guys who said they were up in Barnes and then the rolling hills on the weekend. They said it was amazing with 5-6 feet. Their reports were quite bogus last year so who knows. I was up at Barnes at the start of the year
last year ( Probably 1 of the 1st) and it was 4-5 feet and we got stuck a WHOLE BUNCH.
I talked to a friend who has been up at tent as well and he said their are areas out to the corbin road that are 3-4 with the odd 5 from drift..

So I would really like to hear what Fernie Snow has to say.
In all honesty I would be hesitant to ride off trails at this point in the South Pass region. Trails are fine, but it is pretty Sketchy with the creeks and Rivers not frozen.
The Groomer is supposed to be out after Dec 1 when it warms up a bit, but after yesterdy, their is no way you can make snow bridges over creeks, until they freeze up. So who knows if they will get out until it freezes or we get more snow.
Good thing for Bridges for sure.
Be careful out their.

In the Elkford area, the logging roads are good if you stay in the center and watch for fallen rocks (the snow bumps on the road) but don't put a ski too far too the left or right as you will snag a rock or stump and be one of snowmobilerecyclers statistics! We have 2-3' but we also have lots of rock. My first rides (3 so far) were fun but it is tough being patient when one has an itchy thumb!! Up at 6800' it is mid-thigh deep with a scrunchy 6" on the bottom. If one knows where the rocks are and aren't it is nice early season riding on the trails.

In Fernie, there is 6 inches in the valley bottom. I am now just repeating what I have heard from fairly reliable sources; at the Wrangler's the snow is early season but some guys have been into the trees and found it nice (I think they were lucky). The logging roads are fine with up to 2 feet and some of the open areas have 3 feet or more but no base and the nuggets are lurking. Haven't heard about the pipeline nor the Notch.

We had a snow event on Monday, Nov15th, (8-10") Wed. Nov 17th (8-10") and another dusting on Fri. Nov 19th. (2"). The last ride on Sat. Nov 20 (once again on a logging road) was much improved. The snow is setting up and as Maclintock says with warmer temps we will be ready to go.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday is to be warm with snow (but remember, forecasting weather only needs to right 50% of the time!!).

Thanks for the round trip information, that's awesome!

summitking

Reaction score
Does anyone have any updates on the pipeline or notch? Wouldn't mind checking it out this weekend if the risk of a busted sled isn't to high... thanks for the updates guys.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Does anyone have any updates on the pipeline or notch? Wouldn't mind checking it out this weekend if the risk of a busted sled isn't to high... thanks for the updates guys.

I'm kinda chicken and a "tight-arse" so I'd stay on the road....I vividly remember some early rides and the roads were nice but the lurking nuggets were disastrous.....

Maclintock

Reaction score
I had a guy just tell me that their is 6 feet in the rolling hills. He also said the base was good?
Don't know the guy and honestly do not know how reliable,, but if their is only 2-3 feet at the Wranglers, I find that hard to bleive. But hey who the heck knows.

Be very careful out their for the Snow Rock monsters.:nono:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I had a guy just tell me that their is 6 feet in the rolling hills. He also said the base was good?
Don't know the guy and honestly do not know how reliable,, but if their is only 2-3 feet at the Wranglers, I find that hard to bleive. But hey who the heck knows.

Be very careful out their for the Snow Rock monsters.:nono:

There are some snow "pockets" out there with wind deposits and it just might be in some of the places. I wasn't there so my Fernie info is also on here-say.

Maclintock

Reaction score
The wind is supposed to start up wed night /Thurs , so that should be fun.
-4 to -5 for highs for the extended 14 days ( Weather/Network) with NO snow in the forecast ( That sucks):rant:

Reaction score
was 3/4 up tent mtn, and up and over the adanac and back with 4x4 truck elk hunting yesterday, couldn't get up back side of sartorus thoe. was out on sled around tent mountain area and turning up fair bit of dirt. NO base yet, although there is anywhere from 1 to 2 feet of pow, to hide plenty of rocks. to those considering travelling great distance for a weekend ride in the Pass, i suggest waiting till it settles to a fair base and snows again. yes there is some deeper powder, but 150+ ponnies cuts thru it way too well.

Keep you expectations very low so that u will not be disappointed !!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ski hill is reporting 75 cms at 5500 ft - that's a hell of a long way from 200 cms (or 6') just across the valley at the same elevation.....the street value of crack must still be down.... :D

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wind is supposed to start up wed night /Thurs , so that should be fun.
-4 to -5 for highs for the extended 14 days ( Weather/Network) with NO snow in the forecast ( That sucks):rant:

Ya a blizzard warning is out for crowsnest pass for next couple of days.Weather net work.

Maclintock

Reaction score
was 3/4 up tent mtn, and up and over the adanac and back with 4x4 truck elk hunting yesterday, couldn't get up back side of sartorus thoe. was out on sled around tent mountain area and turning up fair bit of dirt. NO base yet, although there is anywhere from 1 to 2 feet of pow, to hide plenty of rocks. to those considering travelling great distance for a weekend ride in the Pass, i suggest waiting till it settles to a fair base and snows again. yes there is some deeper powder, but 150+ ponnies cuts thru it way too well.

Keep you expectations very low so that u will not be disappointed !!

I was up at tent yesterday. and we used chains to get up by the old mine. You are bang on about the base. The wind kicked up a little and the drifts were starting.
It is starting to get windy this Am already here in Coleman. Going to be fun day I would bet.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
blizzard warning supposed to come into affect for southern alberta real soon with some real strong castle winds :d warm front moving in as well so should bring some more snow and get the base started up

Maclintock

Reaction score
No snow expected in this Blizzard. Just whipping up the snow that is here, with
ove gusts of 100 K expected:eek:
Man are their going to be some drifts in the back, and some freakin huge cornices to start off the year.
Stay off the Hwy's in SW Alberta tonight as trucks will be flying:eek:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup gonna be a nasty little event but that wind can whip the snow into some amazing treee riding in the castle area my favourite time to ride when i lived there were just after the big winds as the little gullys and trees were just loaded! Yup Castle area is gonna have some monster cornices this year :eek:

Maclintock

Reaction score
I was on trails by tent and up to almost Inn on the border on Tuesday. Max is 3 feet in pockets,,, mostly 2- 2 1/2 fet. THEIR is no Freakin Way I would go OFF a trail as their is absolutely no base.
We drove ( With Chains) all the way to the Corbin road from tent and their is no difference at all in the conditions.
You definately could ride the trails as they are packed a bit from the odd truck, but if you spin you will break thru.
It howled in the pass last night ( Still Howlin) and I am sure the landscape of most trails will look completely different this morning with extremely crusty snow.
My front yard went from a nice 2 1/2 - 3 feet fluffy blanket to a 2-3 inch Crusty wind swept wastelad.
Probably be some huge pockets of windswept areas in the trees all over, but probably be some barren areas on open trails leading to them. Big Cornices for sure.
Roads from Calgary are brutal this AM with Black ice reported all over.
Be careful out their:eek:

guido88gt

Reaction score
So where u should head for a ride this weekend, fernie or golden?? Anybody been out at these spots that could help me decide..

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
golden is terrible rite now i dont reccomend it at all i would say fernie and the pass area forsure this weekend if you must got for a ride supposed to be a system coming through this week so should bring a little freshies and some warmer temps to help get some bonding

NotoriousNRB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
golden wasn't that bad...sorta... okay it wasn't all that good.

when did you ride? we were out there saturday and sunday. found some nice corners where nobody had played. nice n deep-ish. didn't snag any rocks.

Top Bottom