Crowsnest/Corbin Area report Apr 5/6/7

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Sure noticed the snow is staring to rot in a lot of areas yesterday and saturday. Did some climbs up thru the trees and creekbeds in the rolling hills on saturday and sunday especially going back towards the ridge overlooking Secret. Man when you break thru that 6 inch crust, it is SUGAR!!!!!
saturday was especially bad with anything high in the sun:eek:. Had to be pinned on everything and if you let off YIKES!!!!! Lots of stuckage.

Saw some big Avy's yesterday as well as saturday. 1 big huge Cornice drop and then KABOOM, whole bowl went in this no namer.

Should be interesting to see how much Snow this week, and How warm it gets later ( 14-16 expected late in the week.) Could make for a really interesting weekend?

May go out tommorrow and see what dropped for snow. With that crust layer softening the rehardening with the colder temps over the next few, I am sure that the snow will get really unstable. We did dig a pit on sat. Their was 10 inches of fresh, Then a 8-10 inch HARD layer , then a 1-2 inch hollow:eek: and then 3 feet of sawdust:eek: Not good!!!!!!!

Be safe out their if ya go;)

We found, in Elkford, that at 6800' - 7200' the snow in the trees was great; good solid bond with anywhere from 12"-24" of solid well bonded new snow. Below that new layer, the facets (corn or sugar snow) were very evident.

Below the 6800' the snow was very different; no solid layer on the top and very easy to break into the facets.

No recent avalanches were evident.

Maclintock

Reaction score
Yeah, That corn-sawdust stuff is scary right now. I was pulling out a budy in the tees ( 6500-6800) and just after he rooted out, the snow pancaked a good foot under me and my other buddy:eek: It will be interesting when that sun comes out on Thursday and 14 - 18 temps, especially if lots drops in the next 3 days.
We shall see tommorrow, I guess. I have a couple buddies in the Elkford area today ( Had to work), so we shall see what the snowfall was like when they get back.

2blue

Reaction score
Just wondering when turning onto the flathead logging road in corbin is there still snow or is it melted? Is there snow in corbin? If there is no snow how far up can you drive?

Top Bottom