Crowsnest/Corbin Area report Apr 5/6/7

Maclintock

Reaction score
Howdy folks, here is a good report for anyone coming out this weekend.

Monday Apr 5, Mcdonald: Well staged up in the Casstle area and took a rip back into the Mcdonald area. Not a single track and easily 1 and a 1/2 foot of fresh everywhere when we got back to the divide area. Fun plaing in any bowls, but the higher areas had some HUGE!!!!! Cornices and No go to that.
All in all a fun day. Any creak beds and crossings are starting to get a bit dicey for sure. Watch out for undersnow land mines as the snow pack is 5 feet max.

Tuesday Apr 6 Rolling Hills: Great conditions in the hillls and especially in the trees. Had lots of fun in little meadows and in the trees. Pretty much 8 inches to a foot of fresh in most areas. Definately not as deep as last Saturday and Sunday.

Wed Apr 7: Hidden, Secret, No Name ad rolling Hills. Snowed ALL DAY long,
but the biggest roblem today was the wind. Up high it was fierce thus blowing away the snow on the tops of ridges ( On top of secret the Cornices are massive and scary as are some in the rolling hills in a few of those gullies,
BUT my goodness their were pockets of 3 feet in some of the gullies we played in where their was tree coverage and no cornices formed. In most areas where the wind did not get at the snow we played in 8 to 10 inches.
The snow was soft and in the trees from the saddle in the rolling hills to the big cutblock we played in 1 - 2 feet. Supposed to snow all day today in that area and will go out tommorrow again into no name area as seeing no one except a few know where that one is it will be loaded, But the Rolling hills should be great as long as the wind does not wreak havoc today.

Watch out for any Cornice laden slopes, because as soon as it gets sunny KABOOM!!!!!!:nono:

Have fun and play safe!!!!!!! :d

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the updates as of thursday morning it is snowing hard but not sticking but only 2 degrees so higher up is puking like crazy the season is not done yet.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It is puking, the flakes are big, and I'm excited! 4" or 10cm on the ground at 4200'.....I'm going for a ride...:party2:...other things can darn well wait!!...:party2:

PS back yard and front yard at 9:00 am

Attachments

• April 08i.jpg
    April 08i.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 61
  • April 08 1i.jpg
    April 08 1i.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 74

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is puking, the flakes are big, and I'm excited! 4" or 10cm on the ground at 4200'.....I'm going for a ride...:party2:...other things can darn well wait!!...:party2:

PS back yard and front yard at 9:00 am

dont use all that fresh snow up and save some of them secret spots for us on saturday

JackSplat

Reaction score
I'm stoked! :d The sleds are loaded and heading to Fernie, Cranbrook area tonight. Thanks for the report. :beer: Soon as the boss says GO, i'm outta here...

Maclintock

Reaction score
snowed all day back in the rolling hills yesterday, Windy up on ridges , but cold , so the snow was soft. Up to 2 feet in the trees and meadows. Cornices are huge!!!!!!!!! When the sun hits LOOK OUT

Be careful out their today:eek:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
snowed all day back in the rolling hills yesterday, Windy up on ridges , but cold , so the snow was soft. Up to 2 feet in the trees and meadows. Cornices are huge!!!!!!!!! When the sun hits LOOK OUT

Be careful out their today:eek:

This cornice is huge and a long way's away....notice the right hand side has dropped. Sure nice to see what's up there on blue bird days like today....

Attachments

• April 10 2i.jpg
    April 10 2i.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 66

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Foothills mentioned on another thread that Barnes Lake is not safe to be on. I was on the lake yesterday and had my sled break partially through the ice into the water :eek: scary. Conditions were excellent otherwise. Good to see people playing it safe and not climbing considering all of the cornices and slide activty:). Also want to say thanks to LIGHTWEIGHT for showing us around the area and helping get my sled out of the water on Barnes :thumbsup2:. Here is a few more pics of the area.

Attachments

• S3600011.jpg
    S3600011.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 64
  • S3600010.jpg
    S3600010.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 61
  • S3600008.jpg
    S3600008.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 60
  • S3600007.jpg
    S3600007.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 62
  • S3600012.jpg
    S3600012.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 73
  • S3600013.jpg
    S3600013.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 67
  • S3600020.jpg
    S3600020.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 71

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Foothills mentioned on another thread that Barnes Lake is not safe to be on. I was on the lake yesterday and had my sled break partially through the ice into the water :eek: scary. Conditions were excellent otherwise. Good to see people playing it safe and not climbing considering all of the cornices and slide activty:). Also want to say thanks to LIGHTWEIGHT for showing us around the area and helping get my sled out of the water on Barnes :thumbsup2:. Here is a few more pics of the area.

were you in the subway in coleman about 915 sat morning

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not us, we passed through Coleman at about 10:00 am. Burgundy GM with 2 cats and an XP on an open trailer.

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rigrat u were the guy`s we talked to on the lake thanks for waving us over to u,just would have known who u were.Sounds like crowsnest is to get a bunch of snow monday tues.

rigrat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rigrat u were the guy`s we talked to on the lake thanks for waving us over to u,just would have known who u were.Sounds like crowsnest is to get a bunch of snow monday tues.
Yes that was us. I ride the orange M1000, my brother rides the white snowpro and LIGHTWEIGHT rides the XP. Probably go back to Corbin on wed for a ride. Does anyone know if Koko Claims has more snow than Corbin area? Thanks.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Yes that was us. I ride the orange M1000, my brother rides the white snowpro and LIGHTWEIGHT rides the XP. Probably go back to Corbin on wed for a ride. Does anyone know if Koko Claims has more snow than Corbin area? Thanks.

I'm a little biased but look at the pictures on the main forum thread and you decide. April 3rd, 4th, 8th, 10th. But you better hurry as I am riding daily and tracking everything up!!

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ok if the weather does what its say`s might have to see if i can tag along with ya`s.

jj48

Reaction score
we were at the subway in coleman at about that time.white chev w/white in closed trailer and a deck truck.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we were at the subway in coleman at about that time.white chev w/white in closed trailer and a deck truck.

i was talking to one of the group mentioned going to elkford
how was the ride in corbin
ferniesnow took time out of his busy riding schedule to show us some more areas
although work is going to get in the way of more riding for me this year

Maclintock

Reaction score
Sure noticed the snow is staring to rot in a lot of areas yesterday and saturday. Did some climbs up thru the trees and creekbeds in the rolling hills on saturday and sunday especially going back towards the ridge overlooking Secret. Man when you break thru that 6 inch crust, it is SUGAR!!!!!
saturday was especially bad with anything high in the sun:eek:. Had to be pinned on everything and if you let off YIKES!!!!! Lots of stuckage.

Saw some big Avy's yesterday as well as saturday. 1 big huge Cornice drop and then KABOOM, whole bowl went in this no namer.

Should be interesting to see how much Snow this week, and How warm it gets later ( 14-16 expected late in the week.) Could make for a really interesting weekend?

May go out tommorrow and see what dropped for snow. With that crust layer softening the rehardening with the colder temps over the next few, I am sure that the snow will get really unstable. We did dig a pit on sat. Their was 10 inches of fresh, Then a 8-10 inch HARD layer , then a 1-2 inch hollow:eek: and then 3 feet of sawdust:eek: Not good!!!!!!!

Be safe out their if ya go;)

Top Bottom