Crf250r vs crf250x

Andrew19

Reaction score
Crf250r vs crf250x (need advice)

I am looking and getting a used Honda CRF250 but i am unsure of whether to get the X or the R version. I know that the X has a wider gear ratio but i just wanted some feedback from someone with knowledge with the two models. I dont race or ride much on a track. Thank you for your help.

Andrew

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
depends how agressive you'll turn out to be, lots of guys will buy the X & find out that there're upgrading it to an R, You can detune the r suspension. The wider ggear ratio on the X makes it harder to ride in tight trails & hillclimbs. If your gonna be mellow & ride open country stick with the X put a plate on it & ride the gravel roads too.... I believe the crfx comes with lights........

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my friend bought a brand new 250x lets say 15 hrs later it needed a rebiuld. if you plan on doing some agresive riding and dune riding get a 250R. if you plan on sitting down and going on gravel roads or atv trails get the X. I took my dads advice and got a trail bike but now im on a motocross bike. They are both fun but the R is mabey more.

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
basicly these are the downs on the X

X is ~20-25 lbs heavier than the R
X has 28-29 HP, R has 35-36 HP
X has softer suspension setup and valving
X has headlight, tail light, kickstand etc.

they need the same work to get them ready every ride.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the wide ratio of the x is better for tight woods pulls evenly throught the each gear and does pulls longer lugs along at low rpm in the tight stuff for less clutching
and the engines use more durable valves than the R
plus the x has lights which are required to ride on crown land

elephant rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MX bike will always have more +'s , just my personal opinion.... good luck with your choice of bike. & remember ride it like u stole it, HA!!!! dirt bikin' puts a big smile on my face!!!!!

JimDettman

Reaction score
The X has one thing that the R does not and its worth its weight in gold after a couple of hours of riding; electric start:d

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The X has one thing that the R does not and its worth its weight in gold after a couple of hours of riding; electric start:d
magic button....love it. surprised it took this long for someone to mention it.....:d

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my friend bought a brand new 250x lets say 15 hrs later it needed a rebiuld. if you plan on doing some agresive riding and dune riding get a 250R. if you plan on sitting down and going on gravel roads or atv trails get the X. I took my dads advice and got a trail bike but now im on a motocross bike. They are both fun but the R is mabey more.

if it needed rebuilt after 15 hours he didnt break it in right I have bought 2 of them right off the showroom floor and broke both in by the book and never had any problems,and will do the same if i but one again the "X" package is the way to go for thight trails. and like was said that e-start is great after a long days ride.:d

silver fox

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, I had a 250x, rode it in the bush AND the track, it will do both , but definately better fer the bush riding..since have had 3 KTM's, and prefer them..comed with better rims,bars,brakes,hydraulic clutch etc, and there are some low hour used ones around..check kijiji..a 200 2-stroke is more than competitive to a crf250x, and will work alot better on the track..the k
KTM's seem to just be better for both types of riding, and I have had ZERO problems with them..I now ride a 450 enduro,and find it to be the easiest/most manageable bike yet..and they have a super reliable 4-stoke engine..IMO...or IME

Attachments

• o8 ktm 450 015.jpg
    o8 ktm 450 015.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 46

Octane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it really depends on what you are going to be riding. if your are riding trails get the x
if your are riding trails and everything else get the r. motocross bikes are always a better investment compared to an enduro bike in my opinion.

Top Bottom