confused

doober

Reaction score
:confused: I have an 08 apex mtx, my rear suspension sags really bad, if i lift the back of the sled i can lift 4-6 inches before the suspension grabs, i assumed it was my rear suspension shock, so i bought one, but the one i bought doesnt rebound, if i push it i it just collapses and thats it, doesnt pop back out?? So where could my problem be? is the front skid shock responsible for pushing the rear of the skid up?? Thanks for any info, im really confused now????

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the shock collapse and dosent come back it's done! Not sure if your skid is stock or not and what shock you replaced it with but it's simple math. A shock controls up and down motion with resistance and should come back if collapsed. if it's an air shock it controls the same but also acts as a spring...more air the stiffer it gets. The only thing I can think of is the shocks are shot, the spring is shot or all of the above. Best to replace them both. Look at the spring to see if it is broke or other issues excist.
i had fox floats that seemed good but in the end I upgrated to a heavier set and problem solved! Ask your dealer if the shock your getting is going to cover the weight.
good luck that's my two bits.

doober

Reaction score
Stock skid, couldnt find much info on aftermarket shock, the shock i am referring to is the rear skid shock, no spring, but the brand new shock i picked up today for the very rear doesnt rebound at all. The front shock has the spring.

new_nytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock skid, couldnt find much info on aftermarket shock, the shock i am referring to is the rear skid shock, no spring, but the brand new shock i picked up today for the very rear doesnt rebound at all. The front shock has the spring.

I believe it is the torsion springs that need to be replaced if it sags. Shock only provides dampening and not lift.

doober

Reaction score
Tise are the 2 springs that are on each side of the skd, correct? Thatare all coiled up and are connected up by the running boards and go dowm by the sliders? Thats what pisjes the skid back up?

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep I would say the springs are done. I'd also look at the front coil shock as it helps keep the suspention with down force. Not sure but sometimes you can adjust the stiffness or add shims.

doober

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, would torsion spring spacers be the way to go? Or new springs, is there a heavier spring somewhere or am i limited to stock? Amd wherr can i order some? Thanks again for all the help, i habe a new front shock i mihht as well put i while imdoin stuff anyways, just bought the rear shock also, so ill replace that too.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to your dealer in pg and they will set you up. It will be a replacement spring, don't think there is anything offered in the way of heaver...there should be a few settings that the spring rest on, top side use a wrench and you can rotate the purch to a stiffer setting...that's if it's not there already. Just a thought.

doober

Reaction score
They are already on the highest setting, have had sag for 2 yrs now, but got really bad last year so i need to fix it before the snow flies

Top Bottom