Concerning the Golden area

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Up untill last year me and my wife spent her B-day sledding in Golden and staying at the Glenogle Mountain Lodge(4 yrs in a row) and I think its an awsome place to ride although we mainly rode Quartz as it was perfect for my wifes ability,we went to a few other places like Silent Pass Blaeberry and Hospital creek as well as a night ride(cant remember the name) Im hoping to make it there this year and ride Hope Creek as it sounds good according to my buddies.I would recommend Golden to everyone as I think its awsome and I havnt even been to there premier riding spot(Gorman) .......YET!
Any of you locals see Doris say Hi to her for me!
Germain Food to Die For!
catmando!

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Golden rules.
I love going there every weekend I can. I have never had any issues there and locals are always cool. I usually stay at the Golden Rim Inn and the pub there is sweet,the waitress always remembers me cause for some reason I eat lots... :d:d:d:d
This summer while on my way to the cottage on the Sushwap, I saw more cops in Golden than in the winter, I'm pulling my boat in the summer and am driving pretty slow, but the RCMP seemed to be on a rampage.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Golden is our favourite area, we mostly do day trips. Even after 18 years riding there still discovering new places. Have gotten to know several locals. Never had a run-in with the cops or DOT but there was a bizarre check-stop coming out of Chatter last year.

In general, you see cops ignoring all kinds of driving infractions, they are probably told to focus on us for some reason.

And BC still means Bring Cash

Stevexp

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered already but with regards to the 48" past your truck ticket, Do the lights need to be on the rear of the sled or if your deck has rear facing lights is that enough?

And for another thing to look out for, last year I had the DOT guy give me a warning because there was too much slack in the strap I had holding down my skid at the back. Come to think of it he didn't mention anything about my sled being too far from the back of my truck. Guess I got really lucky.

trials rider

Reaction score
the cops in golden are fine but they are allways on the look out. and yes we get a lot of new keeners here who just dont get it and are out to prove there authority.

wouldnt worry about it to much unless you have something to worry about. make sure your junk is up to code maybe even have a look at the codes regarding sleds on trucks.

and remember only break one law at a time haha.

as far as the locals there are some who are more than happy to point you to some good riding areas but im not to keen to give away all my secrets. allways happy to help people out and make sure they have a good day though and most people dont go where i do anyway.

but yeah golden is full of fun loving hard working laid back people who are there for the same reason as everyone else.

there arent realy that many so called secret riding areas you just have to have a sense of adventure and get off the beaten path and go see what you can find.

theres lots of room for everyone but realy the riding in golden is terrible go to revy.

trials rider

Reaction score
not sure im stuck at work till tuesday

and my sled is tore down to the tunnell and the motoris in pieces so not to worried yet.

just check the snow conditions thread on here.

kburtonw

Reaction score
I just moved to golden in September. Everyone here is super friendly and there has not been any problems. As for sledding i still need funds

xpsledneck

Reaction score
Last year I got hassled a bit stuff like tire rating ,sleds hanging over the deck too much (no flags),tie downs , o ya and wach your speed entering the town , realy just don't give them a reason and all is well, really prob not much for them to do and easy cash grab for them not shure why they are shuch c**ts to such a good thing for the town. Sledders spend alot of money there in the winter months but I just don't give them a reason and have fun

sleds have reflectors and a tail light that reflects at the longest part so that would be my argument with the (no flags) bs.

xpsledneck

Reaction score
Golden is our favourite area, we mostly do day trips. Even after 18 years riding there still discovering new places. Have gotten to know several locals. Never had a run-in with the cops or DOT but there was a bizarre check-stop coming out of Chatter last year.

In general, you see cops ignoring all kinds of driving infractions, they are probably told to focus on us for some reason.

And BC still means Bring Cash

Ya should be bring alberta cash and with the new hst and carbon tax looks like i will be hauling sled fuel this year.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sleds have reflectors and a tail light that reflects at the longest part so that would be my argument with the (no flags) bs.

arguing takes you from a written warning to a fine. You can dispute it sure, if you wish to make the trip back to BC to fight it in court.

Better to just follow the law.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha I love the gas comments!!! Hey next time you come to town bring me some of that amazing cheap alberta fuel!!!!! haha. ..... seriously!!
I think should be one of your businesses to sell cheap fuel in Quartz Parking Lot! NOW THAT IS THINKING!!
On the down low of course! hahahahaaaa
hmmmmm, now that's and idea.

hihi962

Reaction score
has anyone ever approached the trail pass people about security? Golden riding areas would be a lot more comfortable if you didn't have to worry about your rig being vandalized or ripped off when you get back to the parking lot... I for one wouldn't mind spending an extra few $ for each trail pass if I knew that someone would at least sit there a few more hours till it gets dark and keep an eye on things.. they are already there collecting money anyway.
I really don't recommend the ride into town from silent without a side window.

Farm_boy

Reaction score
Made 12 trips to Golden last year, had a blast every time. Only one to Revelstoke, 2 many people there, but snow was way better so everyone better go there.;)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever approached the trail pass people about security? Golden riding areas would be a lot more comfortable if you didn't have to worry about your rig being vandalized or ripped off when you get back to the parking lot... I for one wouldn't mind spending an extra few $ for each trail pass if I knew that someone would at least sit there a few more hours till it gets dark and keep an eye on things.. they are already there collecting money anyway.
I really don't recommend the ride into town from silent without a side window.

X2, I wouldn't mind paying extra - and really how long extra would they have to sit around, maybe a couple hours at most? People start coming off the hill at 3 pm, once there are people starting to filter into the parking lot then the risk goes down big time again.

I do know that the girl (forget her name) does sit at Quartz usually until about 1 pm at least, so kudo's to her for protecting our stuff already, she's always been really good about it, just would be nice if the ones out at Silent did the same, also, take note or plate #'s of any suspicious truck who says they are not going sledding, just "heading up to check out the trail conditions" etc etc.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's hard enough to get someone to freeze their butts off to collect money for a couple hrs, let alone stand around all day to watch your trucks.

why don't you guys ask your wives to come and sit in the truck all day? you could even pay them a couple bucks and call it a holiday:d

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's hard enough to get someone to freeze their butts off to collect money for a couple hrs, let alone stand around all day to watch your trucks.

why don't you guys ask your wives to come and sit in the truck all day? you could even pay them a couple bucks and call it a holiday:d

That would go over like a turd in a punch bowl. Nice idea though, I like the outside of the box thinking.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would go over like a turd in a punch bowl. Nice idea though, I like the outside of the box thinking.

lol! i figured that idea would not go too far! My first idea was a dog in the cab but someone would get pissed and accuse me of animal neglect.

Break ins and truck theft happen every day in the city, is one or two through the winter really that big of an issue(I am sure if it was my truck I would say for sure!)? if only one truck gets ripped off was it because the owner left something out for the thieves to see? Or are all the trucks getting ripped off? Is it a weekend issue or 7 days a week?

One issue in my mind would be the safety of the person being there. I would not want a volunteer to have to deal with a truck load of theives. To overcome this then it becomes a cash flow issue to pay a security guard to sit there for 8 hrs a day would cost the club $150 or more a day.

People are already whining about trail fees going up this year, to add another $5 per sled would really set people off.

Maybe battery power security cameras and big yellow signs stating you are being watched would work?

Clubs are faced with so many challenges and so little manpower to deal with them.

Top Bottom