Concerning the Golden area

Reaction score
Recently there have been some posts on here that caught my attention so i have decide to join this site to help with some of the questions and concerns about the Golden area . First id like to say that all the business owners in Golden greatly appeciate the sled riders who come to enjoy all the hospitality Golden has to offer ..I know sometimes that doesnt seem like much .but hey, thats what makes Golden what it is.. we are not Calgary or Banff and never will be .lol. Golden is filled with great people who love the mountains and work very hard to keep it pure and open for all to enjoy..Lately the hot topic around the campfire has been about the concerns about the R.C.M.P in Golden scareing off the sled riders to the point where the riders will bypass Golden and go to Revelstoke were they feel more welcome and will most likely be less of a target to the R.C.M.P. highway patrol and the D.O.T..thus takeing much business away from Golden brought by the sled riders. If only that were true ..R.C.M.P. in Revelstoke are going to just as sticky when it come to safety concerns.. Yes we have a few cops here that love to write tickets no matter what ! and the one member of the D.O.T. is a really piece of work ! but if you dont give them a excuse to come near you , you will be ok. works for me and i live here ! . .lol. also i noticed there seem to be some talk concerning Hippies in Golden not wanting sleds in the backcountry ! this is the farthest thing from the truth ! All the hippies i know in Golden and i know them all, are big time sled riders and love hanging with other sled riders from all over Canada ! .Golden is a very layed back place and we all love to meet new people into mountain sleds and snowboard and skiers ..The pub owners in town are great guys and theres nothing they wont do to help you out with anything . but please dont leave the pubs with drinks and be respectful cuz the R.C.M.P. will be prowling the alleys looking to pounce on you ..dont even think about drinking and driveing here ! ..!..lol. also i noticed that there many people on this site who love the great area in Golden who wish to help out with some development of areas.. little things here and there . there was mention of a warm up cabin in silent pass..Great idea !..i will point you in the right direction to get many things started like that.. also id like to mention that Fastcat grooming is responsible for the great job on the trails. Kelly Bushman works very hard to keep the grooming going in Golden and would love to hear from you if you have any fundraiser or inprovement ideas.. it takes a lot to keep the trails good !..im summary id like to say if you have any questions or concerns . dont hesitate to ask.. See you on the mountain !

hypnotoad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the little update. Never been to Golden yet but just moved down to Airdrie and plan on making it one of my main places to ride. Will have to meet up with a few of you that know the place so i can be shown around a bit.

Reaction score
no problem ..best thing to do if go to the RIVERHOUSE TAVERN and ask anyone there that looks local..as it gets closer to the sled season i will be posting more info on snow and areas that are ready ..

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm also from aridire I have only sledding in golden and will be spending every weekend this winter but as stated need to hook up with locals to find the good pow I will be towing a trailer can pull up to 4 sleds besides my two hope to see you all this winter

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sledding golden f*ckin rocks,one of my favorite places:d:beer:

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I got hassled a bit stuff like tire rating ,sleds hanging over the deck too much (no flags),tie downs , o ya and wach your speed entering the town , realy just don't give them a reason and all is well, really prob not much for them to do and easy cash grab for them not shure why they are shuch c**ts to such a good thing for the town. Sledders spend alot of money there in the winter months but I just don't give them a reason and have fun

Reaction score
Theres no problem with meeting good locals here, i can give you a few good names and where to find them ..lol. all the good sledders live at the RIVERHOUSE TAVERN asked for CHRIS SOPER Hes the owner and knows all the good powder spots on and off the beaten path.. Ya the police here need a good talking to by the chamber of commerce and the public at large..We have had problems with a few Funwreckers before and word travels thru the sledders and it puts a bad label on Golden. At the present time we have some rookies here, fresh out of the Academy , and they havent come to terms with the fact they are driving much needed busniess away when they come off like the Nazis . Yes i know they are just doing there job, and of course no one wants to see a sled flying off someones truck and take out a car filled with ski bunnies!..lol. puts a downer on the trip.lol. i dont know all the rules for sled decks right now but i can find out real fast if anyone needs to know .The one D.O.T guy here is really piece of work and any of us that have had dealings with him cant wait for the day he pees off the wrong trucker ! but in the meantime try and keep legal and get to know some locals, buy a few drinks and be cool and you will enjoy all that Golden has to offer .

hypnotoad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for a sled on a deck, you need to have a light hanging off the rear of the sled if it extends more than 48" from your tail lights i do believe. a flag will work too but is only legal during day time hours.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be checking out the locals for shure cause you know when you see a truck just pulled off the road in the middle of nowhere with no gromed trails to be seen I just think to myself now I bet there are some locals playing in the good stuff wish I knew where lol

Reaction score
depending on your experiance we can take you into places that are untouched..depending on time of year , avalanche danger ..etc..if the team trust that you can handle it ..that will all come with meeting locals..

mcridge

Reaction score
Great Post. |Very well said. I've never had a problem with and locals in Golden. I have lots of friends in Golden and evryone i've ever met in the backcountry that was from the Golden area has been super cool and helpful.
As far as the cops go......yeah watch out. Make sure your sleds are secured down front and rear. I got a $175 fine for not having the rear of my sleds tied down. Also had the cops inspect the hell out of my truck and giving me numerous warnings. Rightfully so for some things as i had let them slide. But they actually wanted me to get a b.c. inspection and thats where i thought...don't these guys have anything better to do with there time. But whatever, i fixed the infractions and bought a newer truck anyways. So now they don't have a reason.
The only issues i've ever had in the backcountry was with albertan ski tourers and the heli industry.
As far as a cabin at silent goes... yeah any advise or people to talk to would be great. I will end up talking to the sled club if there's enough interest. I think now that the season is getting under way we'll propably see more reply's and then go from there.
Thanks

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its nice to see the activity on this post. remember the law is the law and the RCMP is hired to enforce it. We should do our part so that they dont have a reason to bother us. Thats the bottom line!! As for the people in golden..... THERE GREAT... AND!!! its a great place to sled. To everyone in this post thats from Golden Thankyou for being great hosts to the Alberta Sledders
Thats my 2 bits on the matter
See you guys soon (i hope)
RP

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Late next month, or early December they usually have a traffic enforcement checkstop at the edge of town. Make sure all your trailer lights work and all your tiedowns are in order so you don't get dinged like I did last year. Sled was more than 4' past my taillights in my Tacoma (ticket). I had two straps at the back and found out I needed one at the front to be legal with the sled in the box of the truck (luckily just a warning).

Nice patio at the River House with an outdoor fireplace to keep warm.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it's pretty simple as for what to do. As mentioned, the RCMP are just doing their job. I don't blame them.

A sled that's poorly fastened can fall off. Having a 600 lb sled tumble down the highway is a safety concern for everybody.

Follow the rules and everything will be good.

I've never been hassled anywhere, but I also don't break the rules.

Things I see broken a lot:

1) Improper tie down and amount of tie downs.
2) Overweight trucks. 1/2 or 3/4 tonnes overloaded.
3) Drunk or "have been drinking" driving.
4) Overhang issues.

Simple fixes if you ask me.

Reaction score
good to see some positive responses ..keep them going .. we need them..and the RIVERHOUSE ROCKS so enjoy the campfire on the patio.. i know i do !..lol.

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Golden's our main riding area and a great little town- we grew up there! It's always been a sledding area and the majority of peeps support it full on! There are always gonna be cops out to get ya and some people who have to throw a wrench in our fun...but overall the support for out of town riders is great and very appreciated by the business community :)

ps- since you're new to the site wildchild, you should check out the site rules...specifically the advertising businesses part ;)

Pro-Am Chris

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Golden is one of my favorite places in the winter for sure! Always have a great time and never had any issues with anyone for that matter. What would have been nice in the past is if the RCMP would have concentrated more on the theft issues we were having rather than filling their quota.

Top Bottom