CNRL Fire.

SHIFTmx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8CQnCmk10w[/media]

FORT MCMURRAY, Alta. - Four workers were injured Thursday in a fire at Canadian Natural Resources Ltd.'s Horizon oilsands plant in northern Alberta.

The fire broke out in an upgrader at around 3:30 p.m. and was contained to the coker area.

"Four injuries were reported and the employees have been assessed by medical staff," the company said in a news release.

"Three have been transported to hospital in Fort McMurray, including one being treated for second and third-degree burns. Another person suffered first-degree burns and a third person has a neck injury.

"All are in stable condition. A fourth person was treated at site and will be released."

Jeff Winsor, chief operating officer of the Fort McKay First Nation, said although there had been some concern from worried residents earlier in the day about an evacuation, none was necessary.

"It's our understanding that the fire is pretty well under control, or getting there," he said.

"There was an explosion and a cloud evident there for some time after it, but that cloud has since dissipated and moved on."

The CNRL (TSX:CNQ) site is about 10 to 15 kilometres south of the community of Fort MacKay, where the First Nation is based.

Investigators from the Energy Resources Conservation Board and the Environment Department were headed to the site. However, the company said monitoring stations were showing that air quality in the region was classified as good.

Briar Crutchfield, a spokeswoman with Alberta Occupational Health and Safety, said the department will also investigate once the fire is out.

"Because it is under evacuation right now, they won't be able to get on site until it is safe to do so," she said.

An upgrader is the part of the oilsands plant that converts the thick, tarry bitumen into crude oil.

Canadian Natural Resources says it is one of the largest independent crude oil and natural gas producers in the world and the largest heavy oil producer in Canada.

The corporation says its Horizon facility produces about 90,000 barrels of synthetic crude oil per day.

Oil production at the facility was suspended and it is not yet known when production will resume.

"Canadian Natural's first priority is the well being of our personnel and to safely control the situation," said the company

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish they would just tell the truth and say CNRL's first priorty is getting that bitch back up and running before share prices drop.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish they would just tell the truth and say CNRL's first priorty is getting that bitch back up and running before share prices drop.

Amen to that, I worked for CNRL for two years and never have I seen a company care less about people. It's all about the bottom line to them, Encana is a close second.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are all the same.. Big saftey talk, put all the responsibilty on the contractor. Then everything to the lowest bidder. That why out here they used a construction contractor that is in recivership and has the worst safety record in the province but will work for cut throat rates.
Well guess what happened...

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
you peoples are 110% correct, just off the phone with the bro, and he is saying the exact same thing, just with MANY more F bombs!! He says hes not goin back after this shift, to quote "fawk em, my life is worth more than the cash"

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have alot of ppl working for me up there and they are now asking to be placed on different jobs. CNRL is a BS company to work for. They will just scab that coker back together to get production going again.

cscherer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well....they scabbed it together, used chinese and all other types of third world countries to do this work....

about time the building trades step in and get this right....

but....we are fully aware of how cheap CNRL is.....hence the issues now.....cant say that I did not say "I told ya so" to many executives....

Last edited:

cscherer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have alot of ppl working for me up there and they are now asking to be placed on different jobs. CNRL is a BS company to work for. They will just scab that coker back together to get production going again.

good luck scubs...I worked there for 3 days....:nono:

The phone has been ringing non stop to come back this morning....

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's criminal when a company as well off as CNRL is, to use scabby contractors with dismal safety records.

They use the lowest bidder even if they know they are breaking every rule in the book to artificially keeps costs down.

Something is wrong when a contractor can't make a buck doing everything "the right way" This isn't the way our natural resources should be used.:nono:

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
well here's a funny outta the situation

Brother is considered "assist" on site of CNRL cause hes a Mammoth operator/supervisor, I guess when she blew, he told his boys, full evacuation, they ran, bolted hoped in their trucks and hit the pedal, AT the gate, they were spot checking someone leaving, and his boys crashed thru the gate, not looking back! he is going to send me a few vids later on. Ill post for sure.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Kudos to him for making a call!

Pass the gate doing ninety eight!

ERP is your first responsibility which is preserve life then worry about material things.

Not my first day working in the patch as a safety consultant.

I tell all my personnel the same thing.

Get the F$$ out...

I must agree with all the previous posts..... Worked for CNR for three weeks and had a head bashing session with managemnet and will never return to any of their sites..

Production first..... manpower is a dime a dozen was their philosiphy!!!!!

Hitchguy

Reaction score
you think they would of just opened the gate and let the peeps out instead of looking for a $10 drill bit :eek:

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well here's a funny outta the situation

Brother is considered "assist" on site of CNRL cause hes a Mammoth operator/supervisor, I guess when she blew, he told his boys, full evacuation, they ran, bolted hoped in their trucks and hit the pedal, AT the gate, they were spot checking someone leaving, and his boys crashed thru the gate, not looking back! he is going to send me a few vids later on. Ill post for sure.

I gotta say I've never been scared in one of these type situations, but I once outran two guys who were.

Mac Daddy

Reaction score
Kudos to him for making a call!

Pass the gate doing ninety eight!

ERP is your first responsibility which is preserve life then worry about material things.

Not my first day working in the patch as a safety consultant.

I tell all my personnel the same thing.

Get the F$$ out...

I must agree with all the previous posts..... Worked for CNR for three weeks and had a head bashing session with managemnet and will never return to any of their sites..

Production first..... manpower is a dime a dozen was their philosiphy!!!!!
Not my first day in the patch.30 years.worked for just about everone out there and kind of get the same thing from all of them you are just a number...PRODUCTION FIRST

Safety consultant!!! This is were it probably all started. it seems we spend more time filling out paperwork and listening to some safety hand babble and point his finger about how things should be done and all the rules and regulations.Then get in his truck,pat himself on the shoulder and head home to do a report.

Dont get me wrong, I am all for safety,and have no problem shutting a rig down to correct a problem or explain how things should be done.I have had a lot of safety hands out to my sites and it is always the same f... thing. Some guy that thinks he knows everything,But actually knows nothing about the realitys of actually working.These guys will throw you to the wolves if given a chance.That is why i follow a simple rule. Be on the ball or on the bus. 3 weeks. i am surprised you made it thAT LONG:d

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive worked for a few companies up there and for the most part i find they're all the same they make us fill out these stupid pre job hazard awareness cards every day so that when something goes wrong they can place the blame on us the worker. never mind that some weld was not 100% and got passed because it would take to much time to fix, and it "should hold till after its been handed over. then were not responsible for paying for the repair" im not ragging on any welders out there, ive just seen it happen. come in behind a scabby company(CLAC) put pressure to a line thats susposedly been tested and low and behold "der she blows" you should have known it was gonna happen because you should have planned for it on your pre job card.

you think they'd learn pay an honest(and skilled) man an honest days pay for and honest days work. ive never worked for cnrl but 2-3 years ago (and im not 100%sure on the numbers) cnrl brought in a bunch (3000+/-) of unskilled foreign workers to build their plant instead of paying good union AND non-union men to do the job right, all because they wanted to save $15+ per hour per person. well i guess we see what happens. . . but we all knew this. it just sucks that people AFTER THE FACT get hurt.

my sincerest condolences go out to the men hurt and their familys. for some its just a matter of get well soon, for others like the guy with the third degree burns its probably a life altering event.

Mac Daddy

Reaction score
ive worked for a few companies up there and for the most part i find they're all the same they make us fill out these stupid pre job hazard awareness cards every day so that when something goes wrong they can place the blame on us the worker. never mind that some weld was not 100% and got passed because it would take to much time to fix, and it "should hold till after its been handed over. then were not responsible for paying for the repair" im not ragging on any welders out there, ive just seen it happen. come in behind a scabby company(CLAC) put pressure to a line thats susposedly been tested and low and behold "der she blows" you should have known it was gonna happen because you should have planned for it on your pre job card.

you think they'd learn pay an honest(and skilled) man an honest days pay for and honest days work. ive never worked for cnrl but 2-3 years ago (and im not 100%sure on the numbers) cnrl brought in a bunch (3000+/-) of unskilled foreign workers to build their plant instead of paying good union AND non-union men to do the job right, all because they wanted to save $15+ per hour per person. well i guess we see what happens. . . but we all knew this. it just sucks that people AFTER THE FACT get hurt.

my sincerest condolences go out to the men hurt and their familys. for some its just a matter of get well soon, for others like the guy with the third degree burns its probably a life altering event.

In there defence,I think not just cnrl have brought in unskilled workers,The problem is this good old oil patch is so up and down,it is getting harder and harder to finds guys when things pick up.Another problem is i think these plants are self regulated on boilers and vessels act.Which means they are responsible to ensure all regulations are met.Then when this chit happens,The lawyers,regulators,safety,ect,ect,come to that location,Put on there white glove(so they dont get wind,sun burn on there pointing finger)It is so easy to come to loc and start telling people they should have done this and that,and here it is on page 1432 subsection b,section c,index 1,3,9,ect,ect,ect.after the team has time to go thru everyting with a fine toothed comb.This is why i dislike safety hands.It is so easy after the fact to see what should have been done different.Which is ok,But now you bring in the lawyers and regulators and someone who may or may not being directly involved may have to pay the piper(legal action and possibly jail)
Just took a regulatory awarness course.(i want to quit and start flipping burgers by the time the course is over)

Most sympathy goes out to all that are injured.

ps:
anybody know if macdonalds is hiring!!!!!!

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

During our last maintenance turnaround in the boom of 2008, those GOOD union and non union workers had a productivity factor of 30%. Thats 3 hours work in a 10 hr shift. No motivation helped, we even offered incentives for them to do more(pay more to get work done that you are already paying for). If you tried to get them to work a little harder, all they said was they could be at Scotford tomorrow if we didn't like it. They would stand in groups for hours and just talk.

So, I am an operator at our plant, I have to live with work the GOOD union and non union workers do after they pack up and head to another facility. As part of our return to service procedures, we inspect everything that the GOOD union and non union workers touch. We found over 20% of the flanges had loose bolts:nono:. CNN moment in the making:eek:

Not sticking up for CNRL, I had friends working at the Horizon project and left because of the way CNRL treats their employees. I almost went to work there. Lots of horror stories out there on the construction practices at Horizon. But if the GOOD union and non union workers keep up the way they did in 2008, and you can't get local facilities to make a quality product, I see why companies look offshore. Unfortunately that is big business and shareholders hold the company stock ransom if they don't meet deadlines.

Big companies put huge pressure to meet dealines. Here is a great read on the BP disaster in the gulf. It details the last few hours of the Deepwater Horizon. Even with all the safety features, it still failed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/26/us/26spill.html?_r=3&pagewanted=1&hp

My $0.02

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
During our last maintenance turnaround in the boom of 2008, those GOOD union and non union workers had a productivity factor of 30%. Thats 3 hours work in a 10 hr shift. No motivation helped, we even offered incentives for them to do more(pay more to get work done that you are already paying for). If you tried to get them to work a little harder, all they said was they could be at Scotford tomorrow if we didn't like it. They would stand in groups for hours and just talk.

So, I am an operator at our plant, I have to live with work the GOOD union and non union workers do after they pack up and head to another facility. As part of our return to service procedures, we inspect everything that the GOOD union and non union workers touch. We found over 20% of the flanges had loose bolts:nono:. CNN moment in the making:eek:

Productivity of 30% is not bad. Last plant I operated at the UNION maintenance was down to 1.something/10 productivity. Operators would end up doing 70-80% of the maintenance for what we could and the maintenance guys were still behind. And it wasn't lack of workers - for every guy working there were at least 2-3 walking around or sleeping somewhere. It's an embarrassment really. If everyone in the patch put in as much effort as they are being paid so well for (it could be at lot worse - which is what most people don't think of) work would be getting done in record time and there would be no such thing as a labor crunch. When it takes 3 or more people twice as long as what it should take 1 guy to get something done - obviously costs will soar.

I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone out there who earn a hard living in the patch, but you have to admit, some of the guys out there you just have to shake your head and wonder who hired them. And it's these folks that start the bad attitudes and it spreads real fast. When you can go from the toolbox talks through morning coffee and past lunch sometimes and all you've done is gather 2 wrenches for a job you MIGHT get to later - I think those people need to give their heads a shake. just my :twocents:

Heard some bad stories about horizon myself. That's one of the reasons I've never been interested in working there - or buying CNRL stock - just too risky waiting for the time bomb to go off (like it just did).

All the best to those who work there in getting it going again and hope for a quick recovery for those injured.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those are some good points, I've only talked to one guy who worked on the various oil sands developments.

He said he quit because he couldn't screw the dog all day like the others.

Top Bottom