clutch puller broke inside the primary!!!!

pispimotto

Reaction score
hi

today i tried to take out the primary on a 2008 summit and the puller broke inside the primary!any ideas????

thanks

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where did it break? I would say heat it up and hope it comes off.

Did you use an impact wrench on it?

If it broke near the end you might be able to weld a nut on the end and back it out, then you could hydraulic the clutch off.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First thing i would do is see if the machine shop can drill it out at least enough to get an easy out in to remove the broken part of the puller.

Reaction score
if it is near enough to the end of the shaft you may be able to zip cut a groove in it and get it out with a screwdriver. another thing to try is a reverse drillbit. if you have a welder you can try sticking a rod to it and bend it 90 degrees then twist. if you still cant get it then put it back together and trade it in:rolleyes:. GOOD LUCK.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think im going to make a clutch maintenance thread this happens to much.

the clutch puller bolt is designed to take the same torque as the clutch bolt 80-85FTLBS MAX.

i love hearing " MAN I HAD LIKE 6 SNIPES ON THAT BOLT"

once at that point iif it does not pop off add head and light taps with a rubber mallet.

as far as your situation...

since it is already torqued do like everyone else says and add heat, rotate the clutch and continue adding heat along with light taps with a rubber mallet.

since it broke it should have enough torque to come off.

for next time, if the clutch does not come off with the puller at 80 ft lbs try another method.

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how far back inside is the puller?

This is what i was reading on another site:
Seeing as the part would be 350 PLUS. I heated the sheave with a heat gun for 15 minutes.. Still didn't pop.. "edit for bad language" off at this point so I used a 2x4 (length wise) against the clutch and hit it with a hatchet from the other end of the 2x4. Turned the clutch and kept hitting it, in about 5 hits it popped off and onto the floor

thanks again for the tip.. I was trying this before I took it to be welded

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
my opinion is don't be a hero, take it to a machiche shop and have them remove it, that crank shaft is not designed for pounding on it is a delicate peice of the engine. if you can drill it out great but things go from bad to really bad fast. i had the same thing happen and i had to cut the clutch off the sled after plan f failed, 900 for a new clutch and i was back on the road.

Top Bottom