Check your sled!!!!!!!

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for info guys. I just checked mine and there is no more than 3/32 clearance but it seems solid there.

3/32 IMO is awfully close... If the body and structure twists and flexes as some other posts have stated... that gap will close up quick... the tank was solid before recall too when just sitting still, but ended up snapping lines....

I just dont know if I feel safe enough riding like that.....How many km's on urs since the recall lightningmike???

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3/32 IMO is awfully close... If the body and structure twists and flexes as some other posts have stated... that gap will close up quick... the tank was solid before recall too when just sitting still, but ended up snapping lines....

I just dont know if I feel safe enough riding like that.....How many km's on urs since the recall lightningmike???

The only way that jackshaft is moving that much is if a bearing goes real bad or you bend the shaft and you will definately feel it. 3/32 should be sufficient clearance. The question I have is why the close tolerances? Its impossible to run an ETEC out of oil in a days ride. Make the tank smaller is what I would do.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only way that jackshaft is moving that much is if a bearing goes real bad or you bend the shaft and you will definately feel it. 3/32 should be sufficient clearance. The question I have is why the close tolerances? Its impossible to run an ETEC out of oil in a days ride. Make the tank smaller is what I would do.

I wasnt necessarily talking about the jackshaft moving... more the oil tank moving/flexing with the structure of the sled.... We all feel the same with the "Band-Aid" fix BRP came out with.... A smaller tank would have dealt with the problem much better... At this rate they might have to anyway IF there are more situations like young-gun

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
........ Its impossible to run an ETEC out of oil in a days ride. Make the tank smaller is what I would do.

It is hard for some engineers to think outside the box. I'm betting the oil reservoir is the same size for all of BRP's sleds. A cost saving manoeuvre in manufacturing.

I doo agree that that would be a good idea. Another refinement for the 2014?

Fuel

Reaction score
Rode today, and a bud in our group had the fuel line snap clean off.... And he just had the fix done for the recall !!! Made for a terrible day, but got him out by plugging the spigot that snapped going into the fuel tank, and running the vent hose into the fuel line, and right into the fuel tank through the filler cap.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode today, and a bud in our group had the fuel line snap clean off.... And he just had the fix done for the recall !!! Made for a terrible day, but got him out by plugging the spigot that snapped going into the fuel tank, and running the vent hose into the fuel line, and right into the fuel tank through the filler cap.

So much for succesful recall............... ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Chitty.... has anyone alerted Maxwell??? Snopro, go fetch Maxwell!! he may be able the shed a little light on this!!! lol

Just p!ssin with sno... lol... don't like to see anyone have "too" many issues regardless what they ride... :)

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend and I had our recall done at different shops. My pull cord knot came out in the trailer in revy. His pulled 2 times that day then came out too. Had to use the back up rope on the primary for the first day. Check your knots also.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I haven't rode it yet since the recall. Picked it up Friday. Gonna ride next weekend 2 days then off to mountains first of march. If it lets me down hopefully its next weekend.

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend and I had our recall done at different shops. My pull cord knot came out in the trailer in revy. His pulled 2 times that day then came out too. Had to use the back up rope on the primary for the first day. Check your knots also.

Tip for the knots... Make your usual knot, then use a piece of large wiring heat shrink, slide the shrink over the knot, then heat with a torch or heat gun.... THERE'S NO WAY THAT KNOT WILL COME LOOSE AFTER!!!!!!

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only way that jackshaft is moving that much is if a bearing goes real bad or you bend the shaft and you will definately feel it. 3/32 should be sufficient clearance. The question i have is why the close tolerances? Its impossible to run an etec out of oil in a days ride. Make the tank smaller is what i would do.

exactly!!!!!!! EVERY day we fill with gas and TOP up with oil anyways. Not sure how far we could go on a tank of oil but it's got to be a quite a distance .

Last edited:

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting!! I just checked mine and I have lots of clearance. Keep us posted as to why you lost the clearance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey Caper11 would really like to know what the gap is? pre or post recall. Thanks

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Caper11 would really like to know what the gap is? pre or post recall. Thanks

It's post recall gap. And it looks like the gap has not changed, looks the same to me.
I stuck .140 tho of feeler blades in there and keep in mind it's a flat blade trying to measure a radius, so I have more than .140" clearance, 3/16 would be my guess, lots of clearance IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIG-BALLZ

Reaction score
I took a look at mine today as well... With all this commotion I decided to remove my aluminum plate to see how everything looked (I had metal filings sitting on the chain-case and such so i wanted to take a peek on what was undertaken) and was not surprised to see an ABSOLUTE MESS.....

Here are some pics of the aftermath of the so called recall....

DSCN2276.jpg Heres a pic of the Aluminum reinforcing bracket.... looks good....

DSCN2298.jpg Heres the clearance throughout the oil tank valley and where that jackshaft travels... Looks goos so far... Then I decide to remove the bracket....

DSCN2295.jpg Holy eff... What happened here?? I know as per the recall service bulletin they have to use the bracket as a template to drill a new mounting hole,but drilling a new hole will do no good if you screw it up!!!!!!! IF u can see the bottom half of the hole is torn apart, still allowing the tank to move... It wont move down onto the fuel lines mind you, BUT it will still move upwards, making the inner part of the tank (closest to the jack-shaft) drop, causing a possible scenario that Young-Gun has already gone through.....

IMO it wouldnt take much to "pop" the plastic upwards out of the new hole drilled (cuz there is no bottom) and then your back to square one, having a loose oil tank, having a sharp piece of aluminum jarring and bouncing against the tank, and also risking rubbing through the oil tank if the tank somehow got pushed upwards out of the "modified mounting location.......

Might be worth it to check your recall work peeps!!

just to make things a little funnier, I found this little quote in the Ski-Doo mag about the design process...

DSCN2303 (1024x766).jpg I just love the part of "drafting and re-drafting" and "Designing and re-designing" ..... Makes me crack up!!!!

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW, well I got recall done last week at riverside and went to vale for few days riding, just got back and no oil anywhere, so will be looking into my sled tomorrow and see if its good to go. Thanks for this thread.......

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's post recall gap. And it looks like the gap has not changed, looks the same to me.
I stuck .140 tho of feeler blades in there and keep in mind it's a flat blade trying to measure a radius, so I have more than .140" clearance, 3/16 would be my guess, lots of clearance IMO.

Well with 3/16 Caper11 you are cleared for takeoff. How did you get feeler blades in there I had trouble gettina 12 inch welding rod in there then had to fish it out with a magnet. Would be nice to know what others are getting? I sure hope they are checking!!!!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:realmad:

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like something went haywire with my post. Message is still there though.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Big-ballz thanks for your post. In your second photo do you see how the oil tank fits into the aluminum bar. I am unsure after seeing that photo and looking at my sled how the oil tank would even lower after the recall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom