Charges Possible

POWSHREDDER69

Reaction score
i dont see how they could charge anyone, it is your own choice if you want to sled up a hill. it's no ones fault, bad sh@t happens. unfortunately sometimes to good people.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was in today's Calgary Herald!

Charges possible in fatal slide

oh oh thats not good for those involved

the sad thing is the revy club is probably going to get lumped into this as well and they had squat to do with it

dont know if this is true or not but have heard that dave was approached friday night and asked to cancel the event ...
and the longer dave hides the worse it looks .......

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's no way to charge anyone here.

I believe in Europe the law is that if you set off a slide and kill someone, you get charged with manslaughter or something. Maybe they should adopt that law here. It would possibly keep some of those random impatient dummies from highmarking above someone who is stuck.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
It will be irresponsible of the crown prosecuter if charges are levied.

A conviction will never be returned as it would set a presedence for all future "unsanctioned" events including an outing with freinds, and not only with regards to sledding and back country activities but all recreational situations.

If charges are laid then that alone will give momentum to possible civil legal action including the possibility of a class action suit...

I'm not saying it won't.... but it should not be allowed to happen.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Charges Pending and Charges Possible are two completely different things. It seems like more sensationalism from the media to me. :rolleyes:

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do yourselves a favor, STOP reading the rag papers like the Sun, all they do is shorten YOUR life via stress... Life is too short to let the dumb azz reporters get you all rilled up and stop you from seeing the beauty of the day.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who are they gonna charge, the snow ?
That's like blaming Henry Ford for all car accidents.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do yourselves a favor, STOP reading the rag papers like the Sun, all they do is shorten YOUR life via stress... Life is too short to let the dumb azz reporters get you all rilled up and stop you from seeing the beauty of the day.

bahaha so true,, the Sun is said to be a grade 2 reading level,,, its a fawcking joke that paper,,, you dont see this crap in the globe....

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh oh thats not good for those involved

the sad thing is the revy club is probably going to get lumped into this as well and they had squat to do with it

dont know if this is true or not but have heard that dave was approached friday night and asked to cancel the event ...
and the longer dave hides the worse it looks .......

they stopped the event in the bull pen around 2pm so in theory the event was over... evryone followed to turbo....

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WTF is a "quasi-organizer"????????

Either he organized it or he didn't......its one of the other, typical media, say something insinuating but don't call it one way or the other in case your facts aren't quite correct, but allows you to report anyway...

And according to people that were actually there...... this was not part of the BIS, Turbo was slated for Sunday, so all its going to take is one person to testify in court to this effect, and you've just introduced "reasonable doubt", after which no one can be convicted.

Besides - What are they going to charge him with? "Failure to babysit every sledder on the mountain"? He couldn't have been at every spot on the hill to say it was going to slide.

And again, as stated, how many riders would have been in that very spot if this was an average Saturday? Would charges have been laid then?

I think this will be hard to make stick in court.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't read it but I'm sure they are wrong.....I gather my facts the same way the Sun does.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Definition of a Quasi Contract: Court's determination of an obligation of one party to another where no actual contract exists. It is based on the parties' conduct, mutual relationship, and/or on the possibility that one would be unjustly enriched at the expense of the other. In strict legal terms a quasi contract does not constitute a formal contract, but is a legal remedy that allows a plaintiff to recover an award or benefit conferred on the defendant.

I think that's as clear as mud..don't you :confused:
O'Zone needs to come forth. Hiding is only going to make this worse. Like the law says; innocent until proven guilty.

Can-Do

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well if i knew someone was out for blood on this and i was OZone. i sure as hell wouldnt be coming forth just yet till MY lawyer knew the facts before i came out and stepped in a big pile of litigations.

he may very well have legal assistance already and waiting under the premise his lawyers want to see where this goes first. stay quiet and under the radar for now.

ild be more worried about my hide on the line then convincing anyone about wether its my fault or not untill all the information is available. he could say something to contradict himself that they could charge him later for

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Hiding is admitting guilt...is it not ? That's just my take on it. Ya screwed up..deal with it. If that means talking to the police (who are going to find you anyway) so be it. Get a lawyer and man up. Prolonging the enevitable makes things worse.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont see how they could charge anyone, it is your own choice if you want to sled up a hill. it's no ones fault, bad sh@t happens. unfortunately sometimes to good people.

It all depends on the situation.

True, it is your choice if you want to sled up a hill. GIVER!
Lets say you get stuck, and someone else decides to blatantly carve a trench around you, causing your demise.... is that your choice? It certainly was the other person's/// I am not saying that is what happened, but if it did, hypothetically I can see charges being laid.

I had a few people do that very thing earlier this season to me, trying to get into Big Blue. It was the most helpless feeling. All I could do was hold onto my avalanche bag ripcord. Luckily nothing tragic came out of it. I was ready to beat the living $hit out of them, luckily a friend calmed me down. If I would have assaulted him, I could have been charged with assault. Would it matter that I was in the backcountry??

I think charges will not be laid upon Ozone Dave, IMO.

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While it is tragic that the events that took place caused the loss of life, I myself compare it to the following: if a plane load of skydivers jump from an aircraft and one or more parachutes do not open, and skydivers lose their lives, do you charge the pilot ?

Just my opinion.

Top Bottom