changing out rails

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I quickly grew tired of the burnt orange on my 11 X this season, wanting to change it up for next season with either some Ice Age or CR racing Black rails. it looks like they give you the option of 8" or 9" wheels, and converting to the 2 wheel kit. what is the advantage of a 8 or 9, and then going down to 2 wheels?

slednecks11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the 2 wheel kit you noitce a difference in side hilling and carving which the 2011s are already easy to lean over the 2 wheel kit will help even more! And they look cool

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I quickly grew tired of the burnt orange on my 11 X this season, wanting to change it up for next season with either some Ice Age or CR racing Black rails. it looks like they give you the option of 8" or 9" wheels, and converting to the 2 wheel kit. what is the advantage of a 8 or 9, and then going down to 2 wheels?

The larger the wheels you have in the rear of your skid the less rolling resistance you will have because you are bending your track over a larger circumference.

While two wheel kits make boondocking easier I heard somewhere that there was a test done on 2 wheel, 3 wheel and 4 wheel axle kits with a track dyno. There was a significant difference in drag between the 3.

If it were my sled I would look to go to some better rails with bigger wheels but stay away from the two wheel kits.

BIG HEAD

Reaction score
A few of the gang noticed less rolling resistance with bigger wheels but none noticed any difference side hilling with the 2 wheels.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get the 8" they are no bigger than the stock doo wheels. i find that you start to lose to much lug on the ground when you move to the 9 and 10 inch wheels

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well how would anodizing compare in cost vs some ice age? always open to the option, just figured ice age would be stronger

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ice age are stronger...however i was pretty impressed with the strength of the stock doo rails.

ice age rails are 400+ 100 to coat your choice of color. or about 100$ to powdercoat or annodize the stock rails.

treeboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you really want to got with a inside wheel kit, i'd go with a 3 wheel instead of 2. I've seen broken wheels before, and it's pretty hard to ride out with only 1 wheel. Also i'd stay with the stock wheels, aluminum ones tend to ice up sometimes.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you really want to got with a inside wheel kit, i'd go with a 3 wheel instead of 2. I've seen broken wheels before, and it's pretty hard to ride out with only 1 wheel. Also i'd stay with the stock wheels, aluminum ones tend to ice up sometimes.

good points. heres my experience..

NEVER had an aluminum wheel break from tricked toys. run them on all our sleds. they are much beefier than some of the 5 spoke designs out there. and i have seen some 5 spoke alum wheels break

used to order alum only wheels and they would ice up forsure now we run the rubber ringed wheels no issue.

stock wheels wont hold up to a 2 wheel kit long they dont have enough lateral support being plastic.

i did have a bearing lock up and destroy one of our aluminum wheels. had to ride out on one wheel it wasnt an issue as long as you catch it

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good points. heres my experience..

NEVER had an aluminum wheel break from tricked toys. run them on all our sleds. they are much beefier than some of the 5 spoke designs out there. and i have seen some 5 spoke alum wheels break

used to order alum only wheels and they would ice up forsure now we run the rubber ringed wheels no issue.

stock wheels wont hold up to a 2 wheel kit long they dont have enough lateral support being plastic.

i did have a bearing lock up and destroy one of our aluminum wheels. had to ride out on one wheel it wasnt an issue as long as you catch it

i have

I have ridden out on one of two stock wheels, and it wasn't a wheel failure. The bearing failed and the race came completely apart.

So there is not only more lateral pressure placed on the wheel, but likely the bearing as well when running two wheels.

Thankfully Lordco stocked the proper size and the weekend was salvaged. I replaced both and picked up a spare while I was at it.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are factory rails anodized? emailed a place on the coast. 150 bucks to remove old anodizing and recoat them black.. thats 300 cheaper then ice age rails.

Top Bottom